18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
20:13 London Paddington to Swindon
20:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 21:16:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[86] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393931 times)
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: August 28, 2015, 08:20:01 »

Thanks for the correction Chris.  Spelling was always my weak point and Bill Gates' spell checker doesn't help - always.  Many years ago, a memo from me to the boss motivated an expenditure of several million dollars to test six brothels*.  I'll spare you the boss's reply save that he had a sense of humour. (*boreholes - I'm a geologist).

Still no letter and I am only four more railway days away from where my double+ priced ticket gets me less.  Thank goodness I don't know about it yet, or I'd be seriously p*****d off!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #946 on: August 28, 2015, 08:43:19 »

Sure, but it'll be tomorrow.

Sorry, been too busy to dig this out today - I'll try again tomorrow

Here you go....

Holders of First Class season tickets on routes that will see either a reduction in, or removal of First Class seating are being contacted by post to inform them of the changes and the options available to them.
Customers requesting First Class tickets on routes that will be affected (either in full, or in part) must be made aware of these changes. They must be given all of the information needed for them to make an informed decision.

Customers that hold First Class seasons will have three options, depending on how their journey will be affected:

Season Ticket Changeover
Customers can submit their First Class season for a change to Standard Class for the remaining validity. The new ticket will have the same expiry date as their current one and they will receive a refund of the difference between the two.
It is important to note that this would not be the same amount as if they requested a refund.
When calculating the refund due and the cost of the new ticket, we will work out how much (using a daily rate) the remaining days and months or First Class travel is worth. We will then calculate the cost of the remaining days and months in Standard Class and they will receive a refund of the difference between the two amounts.
There is no administration fee applicable to this change.

Season Ticket Refund
There may be customers that no longer wish to have a season ticket. In cases such as these they can submit their ticket for a refund.
This calculation is different to that for a changeover.
To work out the amount they will receive as a refund, we will calculate the cost of a season ticket for their journey based on the months and days they have been travelling. We will then take this from the price they originally paid and refund the remainder to them.
This type of refund will normally have an administration fee of ^10.00 applied. Any refund requests made as a result of these changes will have this fee waived.

Retain their current season ticket
Some customers may not be as affected as others and decide that they will continue to hold a First Class season ticket. Should these customers be unable to get a First Class seat on their chosen train service, they can claim a refund under the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

For us to consider their refund request, the train they travelled on must be shown in the timetable as having First Class seating available. This will be shown with a ^, in a dark-coloured square.

Customers purchasing tickets
When a customer enquires about or requests a First Class ticket, you must check the available train services for their journey and make them fully aware of the likelihood of there being no First Class seating available.
Many journeys are having their First Class fares removed from 7th September to reduce the risk of customers buying tickets when there will be no First Class seating.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 28, 2015, 08:53:20 »

Due to some Bank Holiday lethargy I missed my regular train this morning.  Regular viewers will know that this is the 07.08 maidenhead to paddington HST (High Speed Train) from worcester which, since the slashing of First Class accommodation, is standing room only whilst Standard has seating aplenty.
Today I caught the next train, the 07.16 turbo.  I was surprised to find that I was the only person in First Class on this train.  The whole thing to myself.  Whilst I recognise that it is a Friday the rest of the train looked pretty busy.

The point I am trying to make is that First Class on turbo's of any kind don't really appeal to First Class passengers - they would apparently rather cram themselves on to an HST than take the turbo 8mins later.  And why would they?  What is First Class on a turbo?  No buffet, no trolley, no paper, no table to work, no ticket inspection.  Even the legroom is <the airline style on an HST standard class when someone sits opposite you.  How can this be classified as 'premium' travel?

And so on Tuesday I'll be back on the HST and moaning about how overcrowded it is.  But at least I'm getting some grace and favour for my money.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 28, 2015, 10:24:41 »

Yes, it's a pretty worthless upgrade on Turbo's - hence finally doing away with most of it. Regarding legroom, the 166 refurbishment programme does include much more legroom for four of the sixteen seats, so at least that's a slight improvement!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 28, 2015, 11:42:21 »

Due to some Bank Holiday lethargy I missed my regular train this morning.  Regular viewers will know that this is the 07.08 maidenhead to paddington HST (High Speed Train) from worcester which, since the slashing of First Class accommodation, is standing room only whilst Standard has seating aplenty.
Today I caught the next train, the 07.16 turbo.  I was surprised to find that I was the only person in First Class on this train.  The whole thing to myself.  Whilst I recognise that it is a Friday the rest of the train looked pretty busy.

From next Tuesday, that service is allocated to a 166 and still has its first class according to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website), although the train is missing completely from the online timetable.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: August 28, 2015, 15:28:46 »

The 07:17 from Maidenhead is an HST (High Speed Train) from 7th September
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 28, 2015, 15:34:03 »

The 07:17 from Maidenhead is an HST (High Speed Train) from 7th September
Yes indeed.  See: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=16148.0

These Maidenhead peeps don't realise how good they've got it...  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 28, 2015, 16:16:21 »

The 07.18 Maidenhead to Paddington is set 1P08 from Didcot ?!?!?
Oh hallelujah!  The return of the HST (High Speed Train) that disappeared in 2011.

This has made my year - another peak time HST AND an extra 10mins in bed. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 28, 2015, 16:28:36 »

Yes, that should hopefully spread out the first class season holders like yourself, so that there's not a shortage of seats over the two trains - one of the few examples where the reduction in first class on the HST (High Speed Train) fleet was causing genuine problems.

NickB

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 28, 2015, 16:38:01 »

That's really going to dent my income stream from refund vouchers. 
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: September 03, 2015, 16:13:24 »

Finally, FGW (First Great Western) have posted the following on their website regards removal of First class from some Turbo operated services:

https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/fleetchanges

Changes to your service ^ for First Class Season Ticket holders
From 07 September 2015, we^re increasing the number of Standard Class seats on our fleet of suburban ^Turbo^ trains in the Thames Valley. To do this, First Class will be removed and seating will become Standard Class only on most services.

Services affected
First Class will still be available on all services operated by High Speed Trains and Class 180 trains. In addition, First Class will be available on the following services operated by our Turbo trains:

London Paddington to Oxford Class 1 fast services
North Downs Line services that serve Gatwick Airport
London Paddington to Bedwyn via Newbury
Selected commuter and semi-fast services
North Downs Line services to Gatwick Airport and Paddington to Bedwyn services will also benefit from the introduction of a catering trolley on board.
Check your route
For more details speak to a Sales Advisor at one of our stations, or call Customer Relations on 03457 000 125.

Your options
Changeover tickets
If you^re affected you can apply for a season ticket changeover and swap your ticket from First to Standard Class.

We^ll calculate the value of the months and days you have left and use this to pay for a new Standard Class season ticket that expires on the same day as your original one. You^ll receive a full refund for the difference in cost.

Refunds
If you decide you don^t want a season ticket any more, we^ll calculate the cost of the months and days you^ve used, and refund the balance in full.

Apply
To apply for a season ticket changeover or a refund, speak to a Sales Advisor at one of our ticket offices.

Find out more
For more details speak to a Sales Advisor at one of our stations, or call Customer Relations on 03457 000 125.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: September 03, 2015, 19:08:22 »

I^m not sure that the average Pangbourne commuter would know what a Class 1 service is, but even if they did would they be right to assume that the morning up Turbo services which are headcoded as Class 1 would have First Class?  Trains involved are 0636 (1P06), 0653 (1P08), 0834 (1P25).

They need to know this before deciding what to do about their First Class seasons.  Ditto commuters at other stations.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: September 03, 2015, 21:20:42 »

There should also be:- 0713 (1P16) and 0803 (1P22), plus in the opposite direction:-
1803 (1D53), 1837 (1D57), 1906 (1D61) and 2004 (1D69). 5 up, 4 down.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: September 04, 2015, 10:01:06 »

I think some of those are Class 180's. 

Without getting too esoteric, is it possible to get a Pangbourne - Padd season which is standard class Pangbourne - Rdg, and first class Rdg - Padd?  This would seem the sensible solution for Pangbourne first class season ticket holders as even if a Class 180 or 166 is diagrammed, as sure as night follows day a Class 165 will turn up occasionally.

Bit much that Thatcham is guaranteed First Class when Pangbourne isn't.  Pangbourne is of course posher than Thatcham.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: September 04, 2015, 10:22:58 »

From what I can see all rates from Cholsey through Tilehurst ^ Paddington seasons are the same price as Reading ^ Paddington so effectively our local turbo journey, in whatever class, is free.  I assume this is why I have not received any letter from FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) and there are no notifications up at affected the stations.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: