Delayed
14:02 Westbury to Gloucester
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 15:18:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW 1st Class - ongoing discussion of the benefits and their apparent reduction  (Read 393845 times)
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: October 01, 2015, 20:39:17 »

A consequence of FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) removing First Class from their 165s (standard class only) is that if they roster them on a service advertised as having First Class accommodation, then First Class ticket holders can claim the difference in fares as per NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage), Section 38 when their expected 166 (First Class provided) is substituted.

This has now happened to me on two occasions: Tuesday last week and Tuesday this week.  I have emailed GWR on their feedback address fgwfeedback@firstgroup.com ([sic] Address given on the GWR site) to claim compensation and have received an acknowledgement and case numbers on both occasions with the promise of a response within 5 working days.  I have have received no further response on either to date. 

Can the group please suggest an avenue for me to take this further as I believe this is going nowhere; and if I have paid for an advertised service, I expect to receive it.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #976 on: October 02, 2015, 00:40:39 »

Hmm. This is another example of a very disappointing Great Western Railway 'customer experience', Oxonhutch. I'll repeat the wording I have used elsewhere, in another case:

We have many Great Western Railway staff here on the Coffee Shop forum as members, or just as casual readers, so I'm sure this latest example of the sheer frustration that can be felt by those trying to do business with GWR (Great Western Railway) can be fed back.

And, by the way, I'll no doubt bump into a few senior GWR staff at the TravelWatch SouthWest meeting in Taunton this Saturday, so I'll mention it to them as well.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: October 02, 2015, 05:57:30 »

Oxonhutch, when was it emailed in? I spoke to customer relations chasing a case for someone else, and they were up to 19th September for cases due to a bit of a backlog they unfortunately have at the moment.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 02, 2015, 08:28:55 »

I've found that writing in yields better results than emailing. I wouldn't say the response was fast but the results are more consistent. It's a free post address but does cost you an envelope.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 02, 2015, 09:35:04 »

Thanks Ollie. First claim was for the 22nd and the second for the 29th.  Maybe they're still working up to it.  I'll give it a couple more days before escalating it.

Notwithstanding, that is a serious backlog - either an overdose of problems recently, or an under-resourcing of customer services.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: October 02, 2015, 09:47:57 »

Incidentally it's possible to buy a 1st advance single GWR (Great Western Railway) only from Barnstaple - Bristol TM(resolve) on 2 trains which don't have 1st class provision (it might not be now if the passengers actually complained like advised).

But as the fare was less than the standard fare, I'm not sure how the usual first-standard difference compensation would pan out!

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: October 02, 2015, 10:02:24 »

I've rarely, if ever, experienced a response, beyond an automated one, within five days when contacting Customer Services by email.

The five day thing should be removed from correspondence as it's an 'aim' that is rarely met.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 02, 2015, 10:50:56 »

A consequence of FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) removing First Class from their 165s (standard class only) is that if they roster them on a service advertised as having First Class accommodation, then First Class ticket holders can claim the difference in fares as per NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage), Section 38 when their expected 166 (First Class provided) is substituted.

On the flip side of that, I've had an email from GWR saying that travelling in First Class on a Standard Ticket on a train advertised with no First Class is up to the discretion of the TM(resolve).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #983 on: October 02, 2015, 11:10:27 »

If the 1st class fare has been removed, that effectively declassifys for that journey....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 02, 2015, 12:13:14 »

On the flip side of that, I've had an email from GWR saying that travelling in First Class on a Standard Ticket on a train advertised with no First Class is up to the discretion of the TM(resolve).

Roll Eyes

Sometimes they either fail to understand the question or just haven't got a clue.

It's not about discretion, it is absolutely allowed to travel in Standard Class with a First Class ticket valid on that train. You may have a slight issue with certain RPOs if you have a First Class Advance and have chosen, for whatever reason, not to sit in your reserved seat on your booked train.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 02, 2015, 12:29:02 »

Thanks Ollie. First claim was for the 22nd and the second for the 29th.  Maybe they're still working up to it.  I'll give it a couple more days before escalating it.

Notwithstanding, that is a serious backlog - either an overdose of problems recently, or an under-resourcing of customer services.

No problem, feel free to message us the references if you want me to chase it and see how the claims are progressing.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: October 02, 2015, 13:47:17 »

Thanks again Ollie - I will do so if I haven't received any feedback in the next couple of days.

That said, I could have also claimed for yesterday when they substituted a completely rammed 2-car 165 for the scheduled service that departed late and got later still as the journey progressed.  I took one look at that one and decided to take another train. I reckon they nicked the Greenford shuttle.

My feeling is that the advertised First Class services are not being that diligently provided for - relying on the financial outlay from claims being less than the commercial factors in stock rosters.  Maybe there is a genuine plan and I'm just being too cynical - but it's my age - sorry.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 21:39:01 by Oxonhutch » Logged
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 03, 2015, 10:45:33 »

Roll Eyes

Sometimes they either fail to understand the question or just haven't got a clue.

Their reply contained absolutely no reference to my original question, it just looked like a boiler plate response. Which I waited over a week for.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 12, 2015, 12:18:35 »

I've come close on a few occasions but on Friday had my first instance of being unable to get a seat in 1st on a HST (High Speed Train) service out of Paddington.
The train manager was very helpful as were customer services at Reading.
We shall see how well the claims process goes.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 23, 2016, 07:38:22 »

The HST (High Speed Train) i am on now 0736 from liskeard to Penzance, 2.5 1st class coaches, a proper buffet and only 5 standard coaches. It's like the olden days coming back!
I assume this set forms a London service off Penzance around 10-11ish, so plenty of 1st class space on that up service!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68
  Print  

Jump to: