18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 20:01:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[96] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[69] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[54] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists
[44] Where was I today, 29.04.24?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In search of accurate train running information...  (Read 3167 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2008, 15:18:58 »

I posted this little tip on the Save The Train forum a few months back, but given that this is a more 'customer involved' forum I thought I'd pass it on in the hope that some of you didn't know about it and find it useful?

There's several advertised ways of finding out information on current train running via the Internet/Mobile phones. Principally there's the 'TrainTracker' mobile phone text service, and the National Rail Enquiries 'Live Departure Boards' service.

Live Departure Boards is a website which lets you view scheduled trains (and replacement buses) at any station in Great Britain for the following two hours from your enquiry. It tells you how your train is doing with reports of any delays - using the same technology that powers the automated CIS (Customer Information System) screens. The trouble is that the website is a little on the slow side if you're not lucky enough to have a broadband connection available.

There is a version, sponsored by Virgin Trains, that has the bare minimum of graphics and, in my opinion, is far easier to read than the 'official' version. This makes it very suitable for use with modern mobile phones that come complete with proper web-browsers (not the WAP type which are quickly dying a death). I frequently use my Nokia N73 when stood at 'desolate' locations to check how my train is running when there is no CIS system or I suspect that it isn't working correctly.

To view times for your chosen station visit http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk/virgintrains/summary.aspx?T=SWI» (Swindon - next trains)&R=1 - you should only need to type it in once and then bookmark it for future use. The example shown is for Swindon, the three letter station code SWI towards the end of the URL can be changed to whatever station you want to see - OXF» (Oxford - next trains) for Oxford, RDG(resolve) for Reading, PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) for Paddington, BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) for Bristol Temple Meads, etc. You can usually guess the station code quite easily, but if anyone is struggling then you can access a full list here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/codes/a.html

Of course there are times when this still doesn't give you everything you need to know, during major disruption for example, but I find it very useful and have come to trust it far more than the official information on the screens at stations!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 19:04:35 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
kazbear

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 18:36:06 »

Bristol Temple Meads is BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 19:05:25 »

Bristol Temple Meads is BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)

Thanks. My mistake - sorry.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 19:08:03 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 12:01:27 »

Good tip, I prefer the London Midland version though: http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk/londonmidland/summary.aspx?T=SWI» (Swindon - next trains)&R=1
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 16:52:28 »

There is a much better version of LDB listed on that domain!!
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 16:46:05 »

I find the live departure boards on the National Rail Enquiries website excellent.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 16:52:22 »

I find the live departure boards on the National Rail Enquiries website excellent.

I think it's fair to point out that they all use the same source for their information, so it's more a case as to your personal preference in terms of page design.

The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 08:37:47 »

I think it's fair to point out that they all use the same source for their information, so it's more a case as to your personal preference in terms of page design.

Indeed. I use the National Rail one, the updating one for Exeter St Davids is below;

http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk/ldb/station.aspx?T=EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)&R=1&A=0

Trundling gently round the SW
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 00:33:21 »

Anyone who has an iPhone can now download an app from the Apple Store which is an official program from National Rail Enquiries. There's a cost of ^5 I think, but it's really useful as it'll quickly give you train enquiries and live departure boards as well as a host of other quick and easy to use features - it'll even use the iPhone's GPS to work out what the nearest station to you is and the next train from that station home! One of the highest customer rated applications on the iPhone and well worth the expense in my opinion.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: