14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:54:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[164] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another round of Fare Increases  (Read 7853 times)
plejaren

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 00:08:25 »

Yeh.

Taking a National Express example:

Kings Cross - Edinburgh
Current SVR ^168
May SVR ^171.40

whats a svr
you cant mean saver return
as saver returns arent THAT expensive
its off peak return now

and no im not trying to critcise you
id just like to know what a svr is
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 00:15:07 »

That does mean Off Peak Return Grin

When they changed the ticket names, they didn't change any of the ticket codes. For example:

Off Peak Day Return ticket which used to be Cheap Day Return, still uses the same code CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day'))

Same as a Standard Off Peak Return still uses SVR as the ticketing code Undecided

Hope that explains it Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
plejaren

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 00:27:25 »

it does

and hang on how is it that expensive

i went to newcastle recently and it was with a railcard around 68 and without about 110

how is edinburgh so much more expensive

it cant be that much futher
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 02:33:41 »

Bearing in mind it's over 100 Miles...!

If you buy a Return to Bristol, It's cheaper than a Return to Bath Spa. Which is logical... But when you go via Westbury which is a valid route... It becomes more expensive, for a shorter distance journey...! I can't work that out myself...

Equally I bought a First Class Off Peak return from Taunton - Bristol Parkway yesterday, which is the same price as Bristol Temple Meads, yet it's further up the line...!

Same as Bristol Parkway - Chippenham, Same price from Filton Abbey Wood and Bristol Temple Meads! Grin I worked that out for travelling to evening classes after college once a week Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
plejaren

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 03:05:46 »

yes stupid fares

just like a off peak return and off peak single are about 30 pence difference sometimes!!
plejaren

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 14:17:56 »

anyone ever wondered what the companies are smoking when you see fares such as single 50.20 and return 50.40 ?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 16:32:48 »

Yeh.

Taking a National Express example:

Kings Cross - Edinburgh
Current SVR ^168
May SVR ^171.40

whats a svr
you cant mean saver return
as saver returns arent THAT expensive
its off peak return now

and no im not trying to critcise you
id just like to know what a svr is

Clearly they are that expensive...!
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 18:33:36 »

As talked about in another thread, the TOCs (Train Operating Company) expect you to book in advance if you want to travel at an affordable price now.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 22:59:44 »

As talked about in another thread, the TOCs (Train Operating Company) expect you to book in advance if you want to travel at an affordable price now.

I think that's what's called a gross - and pretty inaccurate - generalisation - I don't think anyone could seriously call many FGW (First Great Western) walk-up off-peak fares unaffordable, especially not if you are in an area where a railcard can be used as well - eg Network Card area, Devon & Cornwall, Cotswold Line. I consider my ^5.30 Moreton-in-Marsh to Oxford CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) on a Cotswold Railcard excellent value, it's less than petrol would cost alone, never mind putting another 60 miles on the clock on the car if I did drive - and less than i was paying last year, thanks to a fare cut in January, one of quite a number in the Thames Valley and Cotswolds, following up those in the South West mentioned previously.

That's not to say that some peak fares are value for money, nor can it be denied that there are lots of anomalies about, but that's been the case ever since they stopped charging by distance travelled.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 23:04:52 by willc » Logged
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 23:05:25 »

CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) Oxford to Bristol ^17.80, or ^11.75 with railcard. Absolute bargain - try travelling by car city centre to city centre and parking for that!

And, incidentally, it's almost impossible to beat the CDR fare for that journey using a combination of Advance fares  Wink

The off-peak return fare back to the parents' in west Wales (^47.50 with railcard, but I still wouldn't baulk at ^73.00 without) also offers total flexibility for a journey of some 200 miles each way and again, in my book represents good value.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 23:06:11 »

Sorry, I was not clear I was referring to intercity fares to and from London.  As I said in another thread I find the Devon & Cornwall off peak day returns very good value.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: