11:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:18 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 13:49:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[243] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[71] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[65] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[56] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024
[53] underground plans for Bristol update.
[52] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: A matter of politeness?  (Read 18894 times)
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 10:14:07 »

I take the view that a customer has bought valid ticket, a passenger has not!  Tongue

Hmmm.

Strictly speaking, my employer normally buys the ticket on which I travel, therefore I consider myself to be a passenger on the network rather than a customer.

I still expect and, I think, deserve, exactly the same treatment however.

I consider myself a "Customer" at the Booking office, or whilst at the Train Buffet, ie whilst parting with some of the Pictures of the Queen I like to collect.
I consider my Self  a "Passenger" whilst on a Station waiting for a train or when traveling on said train.

However Neither term is correct,

Which of these three statements is correct, when refering to persons on a train.

"The Customer public",
"The Travelling public" or
"The Passenger Public"

Yep that's right the correct term to use is TRAVELLER now doesn't that open a whole can of Worms, not many people wish to be refered too as Traveller these days. Roll Eyes
moonraker

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 16:03:25 »

Embarrassed not wishing to uspet anyone.......  but have you noticed we are all customers until (God Forbid) there in a fatal incident then we are passengers   Huh
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 20:35:48 »

No - I carry a valid season ticket every day and I am not a customer. I am a passenger.

And what happens if a firm pays for a season ticket for someone? They CAN'T be a customer, as they didn't buy the ticket!
cereal_basher

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 22:40:23 »

It doesn't bother me. On the railway I am a passenger but a customer of whoever I buy the ticket from. No difference to me.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 09:56:15 »

Like it or not, "customer" is the standard term for passenger, adopted by British Rail way back when and now almost universally applied by the TOCs (Train Operating Company) (in much the same way as the word "signaller" has replaced "signalman", and the 24-hour clock has replaced the traditional am/pm). These words are standard terminology on the modern railway system and so cannot be regarded as incorrect just because they're different from the words that were in use 50 years ago. Things change, in many cases for the better. The world moves on.

You're also reading rather too much into the word customer vs passenger. The OED (Oxford English Dictionary) defines customer as "a person who buys goods or services from a shop or business", a passenger as "a traveller in a public or private conveyance (other than the driver, pilot, crew etc.)". Given that a passenger is buying a service (travel) from a business (the train company), the words customer and passenger are both fully applicable and it is incorrect to suggest that either is wrong.

"Customer" might be the standard term for "Passenger", introduced by BR (British Rail(ways)), but BR didn't always get it right.

I don't like the term Customer when travelling, the word Passenger seems so much better.
But then the word Traveller fits far better than Customer or Passenger, but would Lord Snooty "of the Beano" take kindly to be called a Traveller.

I still consider BR got it wrong over the term "customer", just like BR got it wrong in bringing in 100 minutes to the hour.

Yes I've worked for BR when I was allocated 1 hour and 73minutes to do the work. That little baby the 100 minute hour soon got kicked out when the press got hold of the story.
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 16:31:36 »

Mmm..."passenger stock", not "customer stock"...we could of course all travel in "vent vans" or as special traffic! Passenger is the correct terminology because of the provenance. People like to be considered as Passengers.
"Customers" is insulting...sorry, that's the way it is in the real use of the English language.
Whoever reinvents this stuff should appreciate that people (passengers) have a special relationship with train travel...even if they do it daily...They want to be treated in a special way, especially if that means being greeted by a guard who has a knowledge of the line in question, and gives advice on forward journeys...etc etc as we know.
That's why we are passengers...it's in the genes. That's why the vast majority of people still treat trains with a sort of reverence. They enjoy the experience, the journey, the fact that someone in a uniform appears and gives advice...OK checks tickets in passing...blah blah
The vast majority of people still will buy a ticket because they fear the embarrassment of confrontation.
So there we have it...we are all law abiding passengers...bu**er this supermarket approach to marketing. we get the railway we deserve! Mind I'm 61!!! Cool
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 18:53:23 »

Passenger is the correct terminology because of the provenance. People like to be considered as Passengers.
"Customers" is insulting...sorry, that's the way it is in the real use of the English language.
Whoever reinvents this stuff should appreciate that people (passengers) have a special relationship with train travel...even if they do it daily...They want to be treated in a special way, especially if that means being greeted by a guard who has a knowledge of the line in question, and gives advice on forward journeys...etc etc as we know.
That's why we are passengers...it's in the genes. That's why the vast majority of people still treat trains with a sort of reverence. They enjoy the experience, the journey, the fact that someone in a uniform appears and gives advice...OK checks tickets in passing...blah blah
The vast majority of people still will buy a ticket because they fear the embarrassment of confrontation.
So there we have it...we are all law abiding passengers...bu**er this supermarket approach to marketing. we get the railway we deserve! Mind I'm 61!!! Cool

Agree fully! It's passenger. Not customer.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 20:08:04 »

When I'm travelling on a train (or indeed even when I'm buying my ticket, before the train arrives), I see myself as 'a passenger'.

Apart from 'passengers', the only other people on trains are 'staff'.  No 'customers'.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 02:26:28 »

Your theory is flawed Chris... What are you if you use the Buffet...? That surely means you would be a customer... Roll Eyes Wink Grin

I bet I know what your response to that will be though... Wink

The Nailsea - Bristol Temple Meads Train doesn't have a bluddy buffet

Wink Tongue Grin Roll Eyes

Tounge in cheek mode = Disabled

Grin Grin Grin Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 12:22:32 »

Then a smart arse comes along and tells you that a lot of the morning arrivals into Bristol do have buffets, courtesy of the humble HST (High Speed Train)  Wink
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 15:00:26 »

Yes devon_metro... I had completely forgotten about those... Infact... That is really bad of me because I used to commute on one of those 4 days a week Shocked Roll Eyes Wink Tongue Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 23:10:52 »

What are you if you use the Buffet...? That surely means you would be a customer... Roll Eyes Wink Grin

No, in that situation, I'd also regard myself as a 'passenger' - who is using the on-board facilities, to which the purchase of a ticket has granted me access!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
unfarepayingpassenger

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 00:24:32 »

The station staff at Reading are good at being impolite or rude.
unfarepayingpassenger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 00:28:13 »

There is a very big difference between 'passenger' and 'customer'.
I have been told be fgw that I am no longer their customer and only their passenger because my employer buys my ticket through RBT (which is part of south eastern trains). This is how they have decided to do it. It means that I am not entitled to any fge special offers for season ticket holders. (Not that there are any). They don't care about passengers/customers.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 00:46:13 »

Wrong, I do believe that annual season ticket holders that buy from FGW (First Great Western) (for FGW) get around 4 or 5 free journeys anywhere on the network.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: