Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 03:35 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 03:46:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Branch Lines doing well  (Read 8950 times)
Andy

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2009, 12:35:40 »

It seems that the branch lines west of Plymouth are enjoying a rise in patronage this year - 60,000 more passengers than last year for the first four months of 2009.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/passengers-using-Plymouth-rail-line/article-1061465-detail/article.html

With the improvements already put into place on the Falmouth branch, I'd like to see some attention given to 'growing' the other lines:
Reopening back to Tavistock
Park and Ride at Moorswater for Liskeard/Looe
A Newquay-St. Austell route incorporating a park and ride for Newquay town AND Newquay airport off the A30 at St Columb Road/St Dennis with a regular through service to Plymouth, serving Central and East Cornwall.

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 22:58:56 »

I think we've not even seen the start of it! this year will be bumper!
cornishman

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 00:02:02 »

numbers for both easter and spring bank holiday well up on 2008. Cool
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 18:21:27 »

From Tavistock Today:

Passenger numbers on the Tamar Valley Line, which links Plymouth, Bere Ferrers, Bere Alston, Calstock and Gunnislake, are up by 18% so far this year.

Figures released by train operator First Great Western show that 48,800 journeys were made on the scenic branch line in the first 16 weeks of 2009 ^ 7,400 or 18% more than in the same period last year. Branch line use during this period has increased by more than 50% since 2004 when 32,200 journeys were made.

The rise in Tamar Valley Line passenger numbers follows the increase in the number of trains from eight to nine a day on weekdays in December.

The Tamar Valley Line and the region^s other five rural branch lines are promoted by the Devon and Cornwall Rail Partnership, a partnership of local authorities, the rail industry and the University of Plymouth. Its manager, Richard Burningham, said: ^These excellent figures show that more and more people are finding the train a great way to get around for work or leisure, with great value local fares and the best ever train service running on the Tamar Valley Line and the other five lines too.^

Julian Crow, First Great Western^s general manager for the West of England, said: ^We^ve been working away quietly over the past year to make substantial improvements to the Devon and Cornwall branch line services, with better timetables, refurbished trains and reliable performance, and it^s great to see so many more people taking a ride on these wonderfully scenic routes. With more holidays being taken at home, we^re heading for a record year on our local railways in 2009.^

Nigel Blackler, head of transportation at Cornwall Council, said they were ^very pleased^ with the latest branch line passenger figures, which bore testimony to the invaluable work performed by the partners of the Devon and Cornwall Rail Partnership. ^The increase in patronage demonstrates that for many people rail can provide a sustainable alternative to car-based travel and underlines the importance of branchlines in connecting Cornwall^s rural communities,^ Mr Blackler said.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 20:22:49 »

I think we've not even seen the start of it! this year will be bumper!
I think you are right. Seems extra busy already!
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 20:43:43 »

lets hope the network can cope with it
oilengineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 21:14:46 »

I here the St Ives figures could be Well up this year.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 21:28:04 »

exmouth could be very interesting
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 18:17:33 »

Worst loading I've seen since the changes on the Falmouth this morning and lunchtime
1120 ex Truro 10pax total throughout.
1320 ex FalD 16pax total throughout.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 20:41:25 »

FGW (First Great Western) has let me have Maritime Line figures (Falmouth) for the first full four week period of the improved service (31 May to 27 June).

33,793 journeys were made during these four weeks, 10,285 more than were made in the same four weeks of 2008, an increase of 43.8%.   For the calendar year to date (the first 24 weeks of 2009), the line has seen an increase of 24.4% in the number of journeys made.

Thanks to FGW and Wessex Trains, I have figures for each four week period back to the start of 2001.  This last period is the busiest four weeks the line has seen in that time.  The next busiest was when the Tall Ships visited last September and 30,850 journeys were made.

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 21:15:07 »

FGW (First Great Western) has let me have Maritime Line figures (Falmouth) for the first full four week period of the improved service (31 May to 27 June).

33,793 journeys were made during these four weeks, 10,285 more than were made in the same four weeks of 2008, an increase of 43.8%.   For the calendar year to date (the first 24 weeks of 2009), the line has seen an increase of 24.4% in the number of journeys made.

Thanks to FGW and Wessex Trains, I have figures for each four week period back to the start of 2001.  This last period is the busiest four weeks the line has seen in that time.  The next busiest was when the Tall Ships visited last September and 30,850 journeys were made.

Good.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 22:34:46 »

That works out at an average of 23 pax per train, although I think we all know that the loadings will be very variable across different services.

What would validate the effect of the new service would be the increase over the previous year of the last full 4 week period immediately before the new service. ie, if that were around 10% then it would imply the effect of the new service to be around 30%.
slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 21:39:28 »

Falmouth passenger numbers are bound to be up as with the trains being quieter now its half hourly (then the rammed infrequent service) the guard can 95% of the time make sure all fares are collected on the train. Before the new service half the train travelled for free........
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 23:23:42 »

Falmouth passenger numbers are bound to be up as with the trains being quieter now its half hourly (then the rammed infrequent service) the guard can 95% of the time make sure all fares are collected on the train. Before the new service half the train travelled for free........
Yes, I know where you are coming from and this is part of it but there are clearly a lot of new passengers too.

slippy

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 19:16:01 »

Yes there are definately more/new passengers. There is a huge increase in people just travelling between Penryn - Penmere - Falmouth Town, short journies, small fares, but plenty of them....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: