06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
29/04/24 21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 00:15:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: the problems with pacers  (Read 19143 times)
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 11:38:51 »

rumour has it, that we will be waving a 'fond' farewell to the pacers in the not too distant future.

May 2010 at the earliest. And thats assuming that Bombardier actually manage to produce some 172's for LOROL (London Overground Railway Operations Ltd) / London Midland to allow 150/1 to be released for use elsewhere.

Trundling gently round the SW
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 11:52:02 »

It's surprisng there wasn't a reccomendation to withdraw them  after South Winsford crash 1999.

87 versus a 14X,  the 87 shoved the both bodies clean off their  unframes.

Lovley quote from report "Bodies are secured to the underframe by "wire straps""

Also "it was fortunate there were no passengers aboard" the 142.

Atkins did a crash worhtiness report will see if I can find it, still looking on HMRI (Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate) site.

If you do find that report, please post a link, I haven't found it after some considerable time.

The bodies were originally attached to the underframe by 4 Clouth metalastic mountings, just behind the door openings, roughly where the suspension would have been on the National Bus. These mountings has been supplemented by the so called 'Winsford' modification, which consists of additional longitudenal tie bars between the underframe and the body at the cab end of each car. Thus resisting the tendancy for the mountings to fail in sheer during a collision. On a 142 this can be identified by a prominent double row of rivets / fasteners on the door step between the door footwell and the saloon floor on the end doors behind the cab. All FGW (First Great Western) 142's have had this modification done as part of the work done to them at Railcare Glasgow. The 143's have also had a simalar modification done as part of the refresh project at Eastleigh.

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 12:10:25 »

The report is here:

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/HSE_Winsford1999.pdf

Surprisingly brief at only seven pages. The comments about pacers being bus bodies secured to their underframes by wire straps are towards the end in paragraph 20.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 12:25:41 »

The report is here:

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/HSE_Winsford1999.pdf

Surprisingly brief at only seven pages. The comments about pacers being bus bodies secured to their underframes by wire straps are towards the end in paragraph 20.

Its the report (HSL / WS Atkins / Halcrow) mentioned in paragraph 21 of that report that I'm interested in finding. Although the modification to improve crashworthiness are the one I have already mentioned. The wire straps mentioned were merely the original secondary means of body retention rather than the actual body support / attachment method.

A modified 142 fitted with the 'Winsford Mod' will be found here.

An unmodified 142 will be found here.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:32:59 by The SprinterMeister » Logged

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 16:49:00 »

They are about the worst trains on the network, but are cheap and better than nothing.
I would rather sit on one of those, than stand on a new shorter train with high density deating.

Ideally something more suitable should be provided, but even then I would not want to see them scrapped, best kept in reserve for peak flows and breakdowns.
The lack of spare trains for breakdowns or exceptional peak flows is a huge problem and could be partialy alleviated by keeping a reserve of older stock, as used to be done.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 17:02:28 »

they were built for short distance branch lines, exmouth, seven beach so on they were not designed for medium to long distance, to be fair with the exception of when they put one exmouth -barns fgw do not put these on really long routes however northern put them on some stupidly long stints
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 20:34:33 »

Derailment of 142042 at Olive Mount (11-02-2009) confirmed as rear engine detaching and being run over by the rear wheelset precipitating the derailment. Engine apparently suffered a broken crankshaft and locked up with enough of a jolt to dislodge it from the mounting. Some sort of lubrication issue apparently.

Is there anything different about the engine mountings on a Pacer that would make the result of a rapid engine seizure different from what would occur with any other kind of DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 20:48:12 »

they were built for short distance branch lines, exmouth, seven beach so on they were not designed for medium to long distance, to be fair with the exception of when they put one exmouth -barns fgw do not put these on really long routes however northern put them on some stupidly long stints

Taunton - Cardiff is a fairly long stint that's regularly operated by them.

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 20:50:04 »

Taunton - Cardiff is a fairly long stint that's regularly operated by them.

the 142's or 143's
cereal_basher

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 22:20:47 »

It is 143s, which are much nicer and even so there are far less pacers in the Bristol area now.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 23:57:03 »

It is 143s, which are much nicer and even so there are far less pacers in the Bristol area now.

what s the diff between a 143 and a 142?  thought they both had bus seats

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 00:05:35 »

For the most part the 142 and 143 are the same main difference is looks and interior I don't know if they have the same build quality
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 00:58:54 »

what s the diff between a 143 and a 142?  thought they both had bus seats

Although both pacers they were built by completely different companies they look similar. In fgw land the 142s retain the original bus seats but the 143s have chapman high back train seats.
I was on a refurb 143 today..and i must say they are a lot nicer now

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 09:56:56 »

For the most part the 142 and 143 are the same main difference is looks and interior I don't know if they have the same build quality

142 is a Leyland body mounted on a BREL (British Rail Engineering Ltd) underframe.

143 is a Walter Alexander body mounted on a Barclay underframe.

144 is the Walter Alexander body on the BREL underframe.

All re-engineered with Cummins L10 engines (vice Leyland TL11), Voith T211r transmissions (vice SCG four speed epicyclic) stronger suspension / axlebox components on the BREL underframes, replacement doors and Brakes that actually worked (SAB-Wabco) by BR (British Rail(ways)) in the early 90's.

dog box

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 10:21:09 »

like i said..was recently on a refurb 143 but have also been on an ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) version...i am not the only one but the refurb version  seems less noisy at tick over and at speed ....any ideas??

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: