Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
14:07 London Paddington to Newbury
15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Delayed
10:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 15:15 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 15:06:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[79] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[78] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[64] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[42] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[24] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Line stopping patterns  (Read 14113 times)
cereal_basher

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2009, 22:08:12 »

I posted this here as I didn't want to post it in the topic in Weekend First Upgrades. I don't intentionally mean to be controversial as it seems there are a few members on this forum who use the Cotswold Line but I am going to post my views on the line, I want to know what people think about the line and my thoughts. I would like to point out I have never used the line but this is just my analysis.
It is 86.5 miles long from Oxford-Hereford, the line is mainly single line, limiting the timetable. From what I have read usage is quite limited. The service at the moment doesn't really seem to fit with demand in my opinion. The use of HSTs (High Speed Train) on the line at off-peak times seems a waste to me. I have heard people mention how the service isn't very busy at these times. An HST is very high capacity and for what seems like a predominantly local line it seems a waste using them, when they are designed for high speed service.
The only need I can see for HSTs is for peak services to and from London, with round day trip opportunity's on Saturdays. If a service was operated with three peak time arrivals and three peak time departures from London, the current commuter market could be retained. On Saturdays and Sundays two peak trains could be replaced with day trip opportunity's.
I read that with the redoubling completed an hourly service could be started. Surely then to fill the gaps in peak trains, an hourly FGW (First Great Western) stopping service from Worcester-Oxford would be fine, calling at all stations with good connections at Oxford for fast services to Paddington and Worcester for services to Hereford, the line would probably be best served with 158s or 150s although turbos could be used. If 158s ran an hourly off peak service, customers would still receive a high quality service, with most stations receiving a better service than now. Although through journey times would be slower, through journey opportunity's would be much greater, with a clockface timetable with good connections allowing journeys from any station on the line to any other.
With peak fast services to London formed of HSTs and off peak services calling at all stations but regularly with 158s the line IMO (in my opinion), would be better served than now, no need to run half full HSTs up the line at off peak times. With the introduction of cheap advance purchase fares I am sure FGW would win some customers.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 23:45:37 by inspector_blakey » Logged
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 22:17:37 »

I dont often agree with you but on this I do

The problem is what defined an express on the cotswolds

Lets start at Worcester

Worcester Shurb Hill - Needed - obnly station with car park

Worcester Foregate Street - think could be missed out on the peaks as so close to shrub hill and more used by shoppers, people working in worcester

Pershore - not needed on express - drive to evesham.  At a push - as back in 2004 - one stopped there, one didnt

Evesham - needed

honeyborne - not needed o express (never used to be served by HST (High Speed Train))

Morton in Marsh - needed

Kingham/Charlbury - too many people with too much money to not stop

Hanborough - see honeybourne - I dont care whether DC (Direct Current) has his constituecy there or not

Oxford - nuff said

Back in 2004, Cathdrals express did not stop at Reading - first stop oxford - thats not going to happen again sadly.

The problem is there are too many through trains - so people have too much choice - WHILST THE JOURNEY TAKES 2.5 hours. 

Reduce the journey time - more people may move back again.

It journey time thats the issue

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
cereal_basher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 22:25:40 »

Exactly, a couple of better timed expresses with connecting local trains, which are of a higher quality than turbos is more what the line needs.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 22:30:40 »

I don't think 158/150's should go up there though.  Thats a bit off there patch!

Here, there and Everywhere!!
cereal_basher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 22:34:27 »

It is only considered off there patch because they don't go there, there is no reason why they couldn't. They would offer a better level of service than turbos. And orginally Class 158s were destined for the Cotswold Line, but the order got changed to 159s for the London-Exeter route, how different things could have been.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 22:42:00 »

I don't think 158/150's should go up there though.  Thats a bit off there patch!

Er - Malvern to Weymouth I believe - 158s?

Theres definitely some Malvern services that is  15X

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

cereal_basher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 22:53:17 »

All Malvern services which come from Bristol are a 15x.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 23:02:03 »

lucky fgw has so many spare dmu's isnt it
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 23:06:24 »

/the trains that need to be HST (High Speed Train) are:

IMHO (in my humble opinion):

Up service
530sih - misses pershore stops at honeybourne and hanborough in addition to the core - by the time it gets to these stations the hour is almost civilised

630ish - express - misses pershore, honeybourne and hanborough

730ish - stops at pershore but not honeybourne or hanborough
+ first off peak (its rammed)

any other up service is a connection at oxford serving all stations

Down service:

1722 - stops all stations except the halts
1751 - run it only to oxford - its so slow north of there it only arrives minutes before the 1822 and often holds it up - connect with a fast service to WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains)
1822 - express - reverse of the 0630ih
1922 - stops al stations except the halts

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 23:13:02 »

After the re-doubling, FGW (First Great Western) will probably do something along the lines suggested in the above posts.

They are possibly getting new 172 stock. This can probably run the hourly local service.

There is to be a Turbo shuttle from Didcot to Morteon, this will allow ALL halts and Hanborough to be axed from all HSTs (High Speed Train).

We then just need a few HSTs here and there running peak expresses: London, Reading, Oxford (in no more than 55 mins), Charlbury, Kingham, Morteon, Evesham, Worcesters (as close to 2 hours as possible with line speeds) Malverns, Ledbury and Hereford.

The first off peak train of the day to London should also run as an HST - but calling at Pershore and Honeybourne. (but certainly NOT Hanborough, who will have its hourly shuttle - a generous service in itself!)

In addition, more Evesham to Worcester services should be provided, either by FGW, or LM (London Midland - recent franchise) extending some if its B'ham services. However, this will have to wait until the double track is extended to Worcester.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 23:16:56 »

After the re-doubling, FGW (First Great Western) will probably do something along the lines suggested in the above posts.

They are possibly getting new 172 stock. This can probably run the hourly local service.

There is to be a Turbo shuttle from Didcot to Morteon, this will allow ALL halts and Hanborough to be axed from all HSTs (High Speed Train).

We then just need a few HSTs here and there running peak expresses: London, Reading, Oxford (in no more than 55 mins), Charlbury, Kingham, Morteon, Evesham, Worcesters (as close to 2 hours as possible with line speeds) Malverns, Ledbury and Hereford.

The first off peak train of the day to London should also run as an HST - but calling at Pershore and Honeybourne. (but certainly NOT Hanborough, who will have its hourly shuttle - a generous service in itself!)

In addition, more Evesham to Worcester services should be provided, either by FGW, or LM (London Midland - recent franchise) extending some if its B'ham services. However, this will have to wait until the double track is extended to Worcester.

Does Ledbury really qualify on an express?  Only reason I can see is that its double track s gives a passing point - and if you are stopped anyway!

Also - do the expresses really need to stop at both worcesters?  I can see it eing convenient but when I use foregate the passenger numbers are scarce

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 23:21:17 »

Well, can't see many benefits of missing it out, as it is the only intermediate point.

However, if loadings are low... Wink

To be honest, the journey time reductions are needed East of Worcester more drastically, and to benefit more people.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 23:24:31 »

Well, can't see many benefits of missing it out, as it is the only intermediate point.

However, if loadings are low... Wink

To be honest, the journey time reductions are needed East of Worcester more drastically, and to benefit more people.

Well with SDO (Selective Door Opening) and a curved platform with a huge gap to the train!  From experience - being a mere passenger - Foregate is more used by LM (London Midland - recent franchise) commuters.

There is almost a similar argument to be made with the two Malverns - although they arent as close!

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 23:28:46 »

The first off peak train of the day to London should also run as an HST (High Speed Train) - but calling at Pershore and Honeybourne. (but certainly NOT Hanborough, who will have its hourly shuttle - a generous service in itself!)

Why honeybourne? it will be covered by the shuttle as well as is south of moreton.    Skip it

IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 23:29:48 »

/the trains that need to be HST (High Speed Train) are:

IMHO (in my humble opinion):
Down service:

1722 - stops all stations except the halts
1751 - run it only to oxford - its so slow north of there it only arrives minutes before the 1822 and often holds it up - connect with a fast service to WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains)
1822 - express - reverse of the 0630ih
1922 - stops al stations except the halts

Perhaps I'm misreading your post, but are you suggesting that the 15:51ex Paddington doesn't need to be a HST?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: