22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:40 Reading to London Paddington
23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 23:14:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: FGW (First Great Western) HSTs (High Speed Train) an improvement?
Yes - 16 (55.2%)
No - 13 (44.8%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW HSTs an improvement?  (Read 6850 times)
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 19:21:16 »

I'd say just about no, although it's fairly even - 49-51ish

Advantages:
More seats
More airline seats with better legroom - as I mostly travel alone I don't really want to be stuck opposite someone the whole time. Besides, if you sit at a full table on any train the legroom is never that good.

Disadvantages:
Not keen on the lighting as it can be hard to see out of the window
Seats are too high - it's nice to be able to look around
I preferred the sound of the old Valenta engine, although I expect most passengers don't

Overall though I'm not too bothered.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 20:36:48 »

if you dont care about polls then just ignore them!

Not at all: I do care, and I want the results to be as accurate and comprehensive as possible. 'Ignoring' any abstentions doesn't fairly reflect genuine opinions.

I want to vote - even if it's a don't know or a don't care - and I want that vote to be counted. The absence of this option is pure laziness on the part of the pollster(s) concerned.

maybee you dislike them because it shows that not everyone thinks the same way as you do?

Pfft.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 21:44:57 »

Not at all: I do care, and I want the results to be as accurate and comprehensive as possible. 'Ignoring' any abstentions doesn't fairly reflect genuine opinions.

I want to vote - even if it's a don't know or a don't care - and I want that vote to be counted. The absence of this option is pure laziness on the part of the pollster(s) concerned.

maybee you dislike them because it shows that not everyone thinks the same way as you do?

Pfft.

i guess having the dont know/care option does make people just click anything in order to see the result if they want to know what other people think, and to be honest on this poll the dont know option is the same as no as it shows that the refresh was pointless as it did not provide people with a noticable improvement
John R

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 21:56:17 »

Pfft.

It's not laziness, after all it doesn't take any more time. Pollsters sometimes deliberately want to avoid giving people the option to sit on the fence, and thus exclude the option. I've seen that happen in staff surveys when too many people ticked the no view option.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 22:38:19 »

Do you jump of the fence in General Elections?

Or perhaps you waste your vote by spoiling the ballot paper...
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 22:59:49 »

Well, if I may say, just for the benefit of those who, for whatever reason, have not voted (and who therefore cannot see the current state of the voting), the figures are currently 55% in favour of the statement (and 45% against, fairly obviously!).

However, please also bear in mind that there has apparently been some 'tactical voting' going on here!  Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 01:53:50 »

thats ok you can use the comments and match them to the votes to get a more accurate figure
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 12:58:45 »

I think this poll should have been split in two:

1. For short commuter trips [an hour and a halfish]. Improvement as more people can be seated.

2. For long distance. Absolutely appalling especially for groups. Few tables, granite seats, seats by window pillars etc etc etc.

I do not see also why the seats have to be so high that you feel hemmed in and trapped. A trip on a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) is a vast improvement.

There should have been two fleets to provide for the totally different markets.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 19:09:06 »

Hmm.  I do take your point, FarWestJohn, but I think it's not quite as simple as measuring such things purely against the length of the journey a particular passenger may make?

For example, I used to catch a FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) from Nailsea & Backwell, either to Bristol Temple Meads (10 minutes) or to London Paddington (2 hours).  Whichever, I was very happy with the service - generally, plenty of seating, with reasonable views, and a buffet (if I had time, in the ten minutes to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)!).

On the other hand, when I caught an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to Manchester Piccadilly (3 hours), I found the seating uncomfortable, and my suitcase often had a better view (from the luggage rack) than I did.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 19:43:19 »

I had my first trip on an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HST (High Speed Train) a few weeks ago and must say I was rather underwhelmed. OK there are more fixed tables than the FGW (First Great Western) interior but the airline seating is very poor indeed: cramped legroom, an inadequate table that droops down below the horizontal, and misaligned windows. Give me the FGW version any day - there's ample room for my knees in all the airline seating and the drop-down table is much more solid and useful.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 22:08:25 »

The First Class Seat on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HST (High Speed Train)'s is quite pleasent... Now all they need is the WiFi!

I'm rather impressed with the Disabled Toilet as well... Shame FGW (First Great Western) didn't do this on the refresh of their HST's... They offer Disabled Seating in FC(resolve), yet no Disabled Toilet Huh Makes no sense to me...!

I think WiFi should be included on all Intercity routes... NXEC (National Express East Coast) can do it, GC» (Great Central Railway - link to heritage line) can, VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises), Southern, W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator))... Yet XC & FGW...?! However, it is not so much of a concern anymore as my new Mobile includes Unlimited Internet and offers Passthrough to my Laptop Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 23:44:34 »

leg room is an issue however the xc hst seats are so much more comfortable
polonia

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 11:43:34 »

As a Reading commuter, I appreciate getting a seat and they are comfortable enough but I just find standard class claustrophobic. When you get on its impossible to see at a glance what seats are free or occupied and if you don't manage to grab a window seat you've effectively no view at all - fine for short distance commutes  but destroying one of the key selling points for longer distance leisure journeys - its seems self-defeating for the railways to effectively compromise one of their key selling points (remember those old BR (British Rail(ways)) Inter City adverts).  I've been travelling on Southern and Southeastern Electrostars a lot recently and have been striuck how comfortable and pleasnt to travel in the longer-distance versions are, lots of tables, comfy seats aligned with windows etc - they serve a similar market to the FGW (First Great Western) HSTs (High Speed Train) - longer distance commuters plus leaisure travellers to the coast - but do a better job of it.     
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: