17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
08:51 Penzance to Cardiff Central
11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
15:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 12:08:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: South West trains show how air conditioning should and could be done  (Read 6952 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2009, 23:38:49 »

Today I got a South West train from Bracknell to London... I have posted before about FGW (First Great Western) air conditioning not working on the turbos and have put it down to doors opening directly into the carriage negating the apparent hard work of the air con.

I now know that this is not the problem. The problem is that the air con on FGW turbo trains does not work properly (as I suspected a long time ago)

My train stopped at over 10 stations today. At all times it felt very very cool inside despite it being warm outside and us stopping and train doors opening a lot. I didn't look to see if there were any opening windows but if there were, none were open.. which is because no one needed to

So.. it can be done.. Just not by FGW on the local turbos for some reason.

Oh and I really liked the Southern trains (after a change at Clapham junction) which told you, both inside and out, electronically, which carriage you were in.. e.g. "you are in carriage 4 of 8".. brilliant for those announcements about short platforms and where you should be on the train..
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:24:18 »

several reasons for this

SWT (South West Trains) have got a large fleet of desiros that are fairly new and well looked after,plus there are no opening windows so A/C has to be maintained.also siemens look after them so if there are problems SWT probably fine them.

the 158/9 fleet have had a lot of money spent removing the ancient A/C system in favour of the modern Liebherr one and again it is looked after properly,SWT have a large fleet so have scope to stop sets for repair.add to this vast majority of these units start and finish at salisbury rather than being outstabled so faults do not keep building up like with FGW (First Great Western).

basically FGW run on bare bones so are unable to stop too many trains for repairs plus A/C has never been very important to FGW in my opinion unless it is the pride of the FGW fleet (hst) then things do get stopped and repaired.

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 08:27:11 »

Yes I agree.. especially on the turbo's.. FGW (First Great Western) obviously aren't that bothered by air con.. But then why don't they just go back over time to trains with windows that open and no air con. It's so much more pleasant..

Yesterday I travelled up to London about 5pm on a train with opening windows. It was quite warm outside but the train was nice and cool...

About 23.30pm when it was much cooler outside I had the delight of travelling on two different air conditioned turbos to get home and they were horrible and hot...

FGW either needs to go with air con on turbos and make it work or get rid of it totally..I vote for getting rid of it..
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 12:59:06 »

It appears even the usual token efforts in Spring to get the a/c on the 166's working as best they can has been knocked on the head this year. I've yet to sit down on one where I thought that it was working properly yet this summer.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 22:47:51 »

Bad news for those travelling on trains with ineffective air conditioning this week, possibly: from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page),

Week-long heatwave set to hit UK (United Kingdom)

A heatwave is to hit the UK bringing soaring day and night time temperatures and thundery showers throughout the week, the BBC's weather unit have said.

In London the temperature will rise steadily from about 29C on Sunday to about 32C by the end of the week.

In the rest of the UK temperatures will climb from about 22C on Sunday to about 29C on Friday.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 22:49:29 »

I'll be avoiding the Tube tomorrow - I'll walk!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 07:49:46 »

Lets face it the heating on the 165/6 is next to useless in the really cold part of the winter, the windows on the 165 do not close properly and get blown open when a train passes.  The aircon on the 166 is a total farce and has never been that effective.  FGW (First Great Western) do treat their customers who use the 165/6 like cattle (although cattle have better protection under the law when being transported).  The 165/6 interiors are absolutely disgusting the floors have a lot of dirt in the corners, window ledges have a lot of grubby marks the fleet need a deep clean especially as on the face of it the "refresh" does not seem to be happening.
FGW can maintain a fleet in a reasonable condition the HST (High Speed Train)'s are generally very clean

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 11:24:07 »

Yes I agree.. especially on the turbo's.. FGW (First Great Western) obviously aren't that bothered by air con.. But then why don't they just go back over time to trains with windows that open and no air con. It's so much more pleasant..

Yesterday I travelled up to London about 5pm on a train with opening windows. It was quite warm outside but the train was nice and cool...

About 23.30pm when it was much cooler outside I had the delight of travelling on two different air conditioned turbos to get home and they were horrible and hot...

FGW either needs to go with air con on turbos and make it work or get rid of it totally..I vote for getting rid of it..

Will swap your Turbo for the 2 car 150 that did the 1730 Cardiff/Pompey run last night.
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 18:11:43 »

A lot of the FGW (First Great Western) 158s still have ropey air-con. It's fine when the train's moving and the windows are open, but if you get stopped for a few minutes it can get pretty uncomfortable.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 17:43:50 »

A lot of the FGW (First Great Western) 158s still have ropey air-con. It's fine when the train's moving and the windows are open, but if you get stopped for a few minutes it can get pretty uncomfortable.

agreed they seem to have dropped like flies of late,seen loads with windows open.

they should of gone for the same system as SWT (South West Trains) then they might of stood a chance of it working when needed.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: