Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
15:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:48 London Paddington to Swansea
14:53 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 17:25:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Reading Station Southern Entrance plans  (Read 6819 times)
Boppy

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2009, 10:42:27 »

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere yet but here is the New Reading Station Southern Entrance Planning Application Design & Access statement from 15th June 2009.

Some nice pictures - I like the way the Western Tower in the plans has the graffiti at the top on them!  Cheesy

http://documents.reading.gov.uk/AnitePublicDocs/00164201.pdf

And the official planning application to go with it.

http://planning.reading.gov.uk/publicaccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?caseno=KLACKAMS5R000

I wonder where all the buses and taxis will go!?

Boppy.
IanC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 21:23:47 »

link (currently) doesn't work.

willc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 23:44:29 »

does, but it's a chunky pdf, so takes a moment or two to load
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 12:19:41 »

Very interesting document, well spotted. Also clarifies why we have seen these conflicting news reports that the Network Rail station alterations are fully funded, followed shortly after by other stories that they aren't. Of course Reading Borough Council are only talking concourses...

What it leaves hanging in the air (unless I missed it in the detail somewhere) is the possibility of retaining part of the existing concourse as a direct entrance to the Waterloo platforms, thus removing flows of pax along the new platform 7 (existing P4). Might I have read that somewhere else recently though... 

Also interesting is that the simple solution of using the subway only for N/S access but outside the paid area completely removes the issue of ticketless passengers vaulting over the partition or using the lift. Shocked

Paul
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 23:19:18 »

Try this link instead if anyone is having probs - advice form someone at RBC(resolve) about their links not working correctly!

http://documents.reading.gov.uk/AniteIM.WebSearch/Download.aspx?Download=00164201.pdf

Should then work hopefully for those of you who currently can't reach it - and it is quite meaty at 38MB or so...

Boppy.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 17:17:12 »

The council plans will be going on display in an exhibition being held at Station Hill from 20 July until 21 August - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/8154536.stm

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 23:02:57 »

I don't think I've seen it here but apparently planning permission has just been granted for the station exterior works, and the SofS (Adonis) has also just signed off the TWA Order for the land acquisition for the station area and approaches remodelling.

Paul
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 20:15:09 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

More railway station plans shown

More exhibitions on a multimillion-pound plan to transform Reading railway station are to go on display.

The borough council proposals include upgrading the southern entrance and outside travel interchange concourse, including bus, taxi and drop-off areas.

Network Rail's ^500m revamp includes five new platforms and a train depot.

The plans are on view on 21 and 28 October at Reading station forecourt and Broad Street respectively and on 3 November at the civic centre.

It is hoped the project will allow more trains to run through Reading, reduce delays on the western route and ease overcrowding at the station.

The local authority's proposals will show how roads around the station will be reconfigured to allow for a pedestrianised area.

Bus, taxi and cycle facilities, along with vehicle drop-off points, will also be reorganised.

The last exhibition was based at Station Hill from 20 July until 21 August.

Tony Page, lead councillor for transport, said: "I would urge the public to attend the exhibitions and find out more about the proposals to improve Reading's central area."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 09:51:34 »

I'll be interested in taking a look.

From what I've read in the local newspapers one of the biggest issues is where to move the current bus station.  There seem to be two ideas:

a)  Split the bus station into 2 or 3 smaller sections spread around the station - i.e. one north of the station and one to the south west and south east.  Bus journeys across Reading are going to get a lot harder if that happens!

b)  Move the bus station to where the current station concourse is.  Sounds more sensible imo.

Speaking about work on the redevelopment of Reading station.  I've looked at Network Rail's site but I was wondering is there a good source on the web for showing the timelines of what's happening when around the redevelopment of the station - e.g. the tunnel that goes under the tracks to the east of the station has/is recently been worked on to bring it up to working order.  What else is happening at the moment?

I'm just curious as I'd like to know what to look out for each day at the station.  New things to watch/see help the daily commute you know!   Wink

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 12:32:50 »

Speaking about work on the redevelopment of Reading station.  I've looked at Network Rail's site but I was wondering is there a good source on the web for showing the timelines of what's happening when around the redevelopment of the station - e.g. the tunnel that goes under the tracks to the east of the station has/is recently been worked on to bring it up to working order.  What else is happening at the moment?

I'm just curious as I'd like to know what to look out for each day at the station.  New things to watch/see help the daily commute you know!   Wink

The NR» (Network Rail - home page) CP4 (Control Period 4 - the five year period between 2009 and 2014) delivery plan milestones are here, if you haven't found them already:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/documents/5764_Enhancements%20Document%20June%202009.pdf

This was updated in June, pages 53 and 54 give some broad dates.  I'd be surprised if there was much happening until late next year really, the date for major work to be completed in the station is Dec 2012, but you are looking at 2016 for the final grade seperation west of the station.

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: