Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:35 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 19:55:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[256] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Misleading advertising?
[14] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 'FirstGroup in secret move for National Express', from The Times (29/06/09)  (Read 10884 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 07:34:10 »

AND breaking news at 0730. DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have taken the keys back on the East Coast......We now have a premier inter-city route back in public ownership. First job (of many) for the DfT? Remove that money-grabbing seat reservation charge.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 07:39:24 »

Bob Crow will be pleased!
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 16:27:32 »

http://www.rmt.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=124369

How did you guess  ?
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 17:08:06 »

I^m inclined to agree with the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) that the ECML (East Coast Main Line) has been complete chaos, and the poor PAX deserve far better, but if it hadn^t been for treasury involvement then I^m sure they would have found a suitable operator who could have lasted the course.

Instead it went twice to companies who^s corporate governance was questionable given the payback that treasury agreed to.

The ECML is a very profitable route, just not profitable enough for Gordy.

GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) were doing very well until Sea Containers screwed up, and NX have been caught in a Catch 22 situation, they had refinance available for their ^1.2B debt so long as it didn^t go to a discredited government, choice then became renegotiate or pull out.

Can the forum run sweep stakes as well as polls, would be interesting to see what figure the next franchise goes for, I^ll start things off with a premium of ^0.6M
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 17:41:38 »

And i'll predict that Deutsch Bahn get the franchise  Smiley
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 20:30:56 »

am i correct in thinking 10 years ago people from manchester would travel over to the ecml to get to london as it was cheeper and more realiable than the wcml
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 21:38:59 »

Can the forum run sweep stakes as well as polls, would be interesting to see what figure the next franchise goes for, I^ll start things off with a premium of ^0.6M

Did you really mean ^600,000? or ^0.6 Billion?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 21:40:04 »

And i'll predict that Deutsch Bahn get the franchise  Smiley

Okay.....in that case I'll go for SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2009, 18:41:21 »

being willing to invest money to improve the track
At what point has Branson invested a penny piece in track improvements? We have paid for WCML (West Coast Main Line) upgrade via Railtrack and Network Rail, not Beardie!

Take a look at this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8057663.stm

They are prepared to invest "billions".

That's what a profit making company that runs a TOC (Train Operating Company) should do - invest money. Chiltern did Evergreen 1 (ok - not on their money as such, but still investment) and got a long franchise reward. Virgin obviously want to - and on their own money.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 14:37:12 by Btline » Logged
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 23:43:10 »

yay more placcy pendos
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 00:08:04 »

yay more placcy pendos

Besides the windows, I can't see anything fundamentally wrong with them (i.e. anything a post lengthening refurb can't sort out).

They have revolutionised the WCML (West Coast Main Line), which now has smart modern 125 mph tilting trains instead of an ugly mix match of aging locos and slam door carriages which was limited in speed.

I would not complain if the same were done on the ECML (East Coast Main Line)! 3 tph to Leeds? Tilting trains on the northern/Scottish stretches of the ECML?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 00:13:27 »

At what point has Branson invested a penny piece in track improvements? We have paid for WCML (West Coast Main Line) upgrade via Railtrack and Network Rail, not Beardie!

That's what a profit making company that runs a TOC (Train Operating Company) should do - invest money. Chiltern did Evergreen 1 (ok - not on their money as such, but still investment) and got a long franchise reward. Virgin obviously want to - and on their own money.

But they haven't actually spent any of their own money yet. Branson just wants a franchise extension on the cheap without a contest and is on record god knows how many times claiming that the Pendolinos and Voyagers are investment by Virgin when they were paid for and are owned by a leasing company.

And VWC is most certainly not a profit-making company - it gets a nice fat subsidy every year courtesy of you and me through our taxes.

Chiltern had to spend money under the terms of their franchise. No spending means they lose franchise.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2009, 10:27:10 »

Did you really mean ^600,000? or ^0.6 Billion?

Oops, should have been a B not an M. I have to admit it was a bit of a stab in the dark figure as I didn't look to see what the other bidders figures had been when NX won it, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) it was thought at the time that NX had gone in too high. I'm sure if the treasury hadn't wanted the most money then there would still be a franchise operator on the East Coast.

And they wouldn't have to waste money in the re-letting process.

Edited after I found this from the Telegraph. The ^1.4b figure would appear to be a bit of a red herring when discussing premium payments if the article is anything to go by, and some interesting stuff about First.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:17:49 by tramway » Logged
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2009, 13:33:41 »

But they haven't actually spent any of their own money yet. Branson just wants a franchise extension on the cheap without a contest and is on record god knows how many times claiming that the Pendolinos and Voyagers are investment by Virgin when they were paid for and are owned by a leasing company.

And VWC is most certainly not a profit-making company - it gets a nice fat subsidy every year courtesy of you and me through our taxes.

Chiltern had to spend money under the terms of their franchise. No spending means they lose franchise.

whilst i agree beardie has not invested the rolling stock mat well be owned by a leasing company,but Virgin will have to pay a rather large leasing fee for each set.this leasing fee would of gone up by a lot when old stock was retired and the new pendo's bought in.

willc

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2009, 14:08:01 »

I'm not saying they aren't paying lease fees but Beardie has never qualified his remarks in that way. It's always we have invested blah, blah, blah in trains - which they haven't, unlike, for example, First Group, which bought a number of HSTs (High Speed Train) outright for FGW (First Great Western)'s use.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: