15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 16:54:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-Existent Service  (Read 7744 times)
fullspeedahead

View Profile Email
« on: June 30, 2009, 15:44:02 »

Ive recently noticed that on a number of occasions at Portsmouth and Southsea recently, the 1745 FGW (First Great Western) weekday departure to the Harbour (from cardiff) has not been listed on the departure boards at all, even as a cancellation. Presumably even if the train was stopped short at Fareham due to heavy delay, it would still be listed as cancelled?
Nobody else there at the time seems to even be put out about these mystery disappearances. Am I actually just going insane?

amiddl

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 19:06:09 »

No not mad at all. I have traveled fairy frequently on the 09.21 Paighton from Newbury and this has been missing from the departure board a couple of times causing much confusion amongst passengers and with station staff unsure as to why it is not shown. Every other train is correctly shown except this one. I would be interested to know what causes these departures not to be shown on the departures boards.
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 19:29:20 »

Probably the same reason that the 0946 from Warminster to Waterloo is announced as a service to Waterloo, whereas the 1400 and 1647 services to Waterloo are announced as services to Salisbury   Undecided
Not from Brighton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 20:21:34 »

But surely the departure board cannot be wrong?!!  Shocked
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 21:05:16 »

I would be interested to know what causes these departures not to be shown on the departures boards.

Probably finger trouble they've not been entered correctly on the computer.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 00:02:29 »

Ive recently noticed that on a number of occasions at Portsmouth and Southsea recently, the 1745 FGW (First Great Western) weekday departure to the Harbour (from cardiff) has not been listed on the departure boards at all, even as a cancellation. Presumably even if the train was stopped short at Fareham due to heavy delay, it would still be listed as cancelled?
Nobody else there at the time seems to even be put out about these mystery disappearances. Am I actually just going insane?

Is this prior to 1745? As soon as a cancelled trains timetabled departure comes up the SWT (South West Trains) PIS (Passenger Information System) will remove it.  Although why they even bother with a PIS at Portsmouth and Southsea P2 makes me a bit worried for the little man inside it, who must get bored after a day of switching on the same little lights every time... Wink

Paul
fullspeedahead

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 18:57:29 »

Hi, Yes this is prior to 1745, I usually arrive at the station just after 17.30. There are no manual annoucements regarding the missing service either, it is most purplexing.
Rogang

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 20:15:56 »

Picking up on various comments in this thread, the Portsmouth screens are indeed the reponsibility of SWT (South West Trains) - we at FGW (First Great Western) notify them and expect them to show any alterations to our services right up to departure time - I will make some enquiries tomorrow. The Waterloo services are a constant problem - they should all say Salisbury as a destination with a note "continues to Waterloo" - but the system has a nasty habit of 'dropping' the last bit. If Warminster station is manned at the right times, they should be phoning FGW CIS (Customer Information System) to tell us! Likewise with Newbury - suprised that a train is 'missing'  as Penny and Graham are usually very much 'on the ball' there
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 21:28:32 »

In my view Waterloo services should show that as the destination which enables all stopping points to be listed.  Anything else is inaccurate and misleading.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 23:15:13 »

I'm not an expert, but is the problem possibly that as the train joins another at Salisbury, something has to be manually added to the PIS (Passenger Information System) database, because the actual reporting ID will only be a Bristol - Salisbury service. Left to its own automatic devices the PIS will not pick up the onward train, cos beyond Salisbury it takes on the ID of the other portion?

The reason I supect this, is that in SWT (South West Trains) land, whenever the normal timetable is running reliably, trains that join further up the line are reported reliably all the way through to final destination on the PIS, but when temporary timetable arrangements are in place for engineering work for instance you see oddities arise, such as Waterloo trains appearing to terminate at Eastleigh in the up direction on a Sunday. I've also seen SN services leave Southampton for Horsham, during disruptions, where they become the rear portion of an earlier train from Bognor, although they normally display as Victoria.  Suggesting the full data hasn't been entered for an 'off pattern' train?

Paul
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 09:25:28 »

I'd always assumed that the Waterloo trains were shown as "Salisbury, continues to london Waterloo", to stop the inexperienced or foriegn traveller wanting to get "the next train to London" from getting on the SWT (South West Trains) train and having a slow journey rather than the Paddington service.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 14:07:52 »

I'd always assumed that the Waterloo trains were shown as "Salisbury, continues to london Waterloo", to stop the inexperienced or foriegn traveller wanting to get "the next train to London" from getting on the SWT (South West Trains) train and having a slow journey rather than the Paddington service.

dont forget the cheaper service rather than the fgw expensive one.
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 18:52:25 »

I went through the station this afternoon, timed for the 1647 service. The TV screen (hardly legible in the bright light, couldn't get into the waiting room to see it properly - padlocked at  1630  Huh) correctly described the service as going to "London Waterloo via Salisbury, etc, etc. I waited to hear the description of the train on the platform announcement - guess what ? No announcement !   Roll Eyes
Steve44

I quite like thames turbos...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 15:13:21 »

I'd rather the cheaper service.  A friend and I went to Exeter and back (down tuesday, back thursday) for ^7.90 each each way (with rail cards) compared to the 20 pound odd each way we were quoted on a FGW (First Great Western) service.  Have to say i prefer the 'cheaper service', yes it takes quite a bit longer but the train was very comfortable and clean, the air-con was terrific and the staff were very helpful and friendly (we'd had problem getting our tickets from the machines at waterloo because we had been stuck in traffic and there was a long queue literally 2 mins before our 8.20 was due to leave, the guard was most helpful).  I'm not knocking FGW as such, i'm sure a trip down would have been most enjoyable, but for us 'poor students' 7.90 each way was a lot more inviting.
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 18:08:34 »

I'd rather the cheaper service.  A friend and I went to Exeter and back (down tuesday, back thursday) for ^7.90 each each way (with rail cards) compared to the 20 pound odd each way we were quoted on a FGW (First Great Western) service.  Have to say i prefer the 'cheaper service', yes it takes quite a bit longer but the train was very comfortable and clean, the air-con was terrific and the staff were very helpful and friendly (we'd had problem getting our tickets from the machines at waterloo because we had been stuck in traffic and there was a long queue literally 2 mins before our 8.20 was due to leave, the guard was most helpful).  I'm not knocking FGW as such, i'm sure a trip down would have been most enjoyable, but for us 'poor students' 7.90 each way was a lot more inviting.

The SWT service is certainly useful for leisure travellers for whom money is more important than time, although the FGW service will always be more popular for business travellers. It'll be interesting to see how well SWT market their hourly service to London from December, as some hours their offpeak services will likely only be about 20-30 minutes behind the hourly FGW service.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: