Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:57:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: South Hampshire Rail Users (SHRUG)  (Read 53037 times)
neilweb

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2009, 14:58:05 »

Hi all

You may find this page regarding the tunnel under Southampton city centre of interest:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/hampshire/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8383000/8383071.stm

best wishes
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2009, 15:44:55 »

Never spotted this before, but will put my observations forward:

One of the girls, assisted by her mother, booked the return tickets for all 3 girls over the telephone,
The tickets were sold to them (via cross country trains.co.uk) by someone qualified to do so and were bought in good faith
I have had a Family Railcard for years and know that others can travel with me at the same discount. I assumed that the Young Persons Railcard would be the same.
they would need to disembark from the train at Taunton and pay an extra ^38 each
they paid the extra fare of ^18 each

Basically to me none of it adds up.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2009, 16:01:13 »

That's exactly what I said when this was discussed a while back, Ollie.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2009, 21:20:45 »

That's exactly what I said when this was discussed a while back, Ollie.
Just re-read your post, yeah I'd be interested to see the FGW (First Great Western) response. If this happened back in August then I'd assume the customer would have got a response by now. Maybe just doesn't want to show it?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 17:04:04 »

Perhaps it'll be in the next unfettered rant thrilling installment. I'm awaiting it with bated breath!
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2009, 17:15:20 »

Perhaps it'll be in the next unfettered rant thrilling installment. I'm awaiting it with bated breath!

I'm also waiting with bated breath for the next thrilling installment unfettered rant!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2010, 21:54:05 »

Good news - the next edition is up and running at http://www.shrug.info/

A brief mention for FGW (First Great Western) - apparently the Pompey - Cardiff services are overcrowded from Pompey - Soton. No prizes for guessing who's partially to blame for running a poor alternative (despite the fact there's little difference in journey time - 45 to 55 minutes - as the linespeed is generally low). Also a moan about the Pompey - Penzance service being removed.

I like the fact that now there's an hourly Waterloo - Exeter with a good connection to from Southampton at Salisbury in either direction this gets as brief and as grudging a mention as possible. Wink
John R

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2010, 22:17:29 »

Do you get the feeling they are not fans of SWT (South West Trains)?

I'm sure they have a point, but reading that sort of vitriol gets tiring after the first couple of pages. 
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2010, 13:34:05 »

Agree with John R too much Vitriol.

A lot of good stuff gets lost in the rant.

As I posted previously a few tables/list posted without the comments in CAPS would be much more effective. There is a whole list of trains with DUFF STOCK given as a problem. It seems to be a lot but howmany? Many seemed to be short formed rather than cancelled so what's the breakdown. I can't be bothered to count them all up. But given the number of trains SWT (South West Trains) run it could be a fairly small percentage that are subject to DUFF Stock. I've no way of knowing.

JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2010, 21:26:11 »

Are pax really 'THROWN OFF' due to 'DUFF STOCK'? Who does the throwing (conjures up some interestring images) and what constitutes duff? At lease with this forum's 'Current Running' we get an idea of the reasons behind 'OPERATIONAL CONVENIENCE'  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2010, 22:18:18 »

Don't forget the services that are not cancelled but AXED... Conjures up some rather strange images in my head, anyway.  Smiley

And on further reflection, as we've learned from the many "insiders" who post on this forum, isn't OPERATIONAL CONVENIENCE (sic) generally the railway trying to benefit as many people as possible when circumstances get difficult?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2010, 11:30:16 »

Hogrider 128 is now out covering June to September.  Well worth a read as it amuses me greatly - though as ever the layout of the 'newsletter' is atrocious, so I'd recommend having some Nurofen handy.

I was slightly shocked to see a section headed 'Miscellaneous Good News', but when I got to it, it was actually praising Cross Country and Southern and soon got back to the more regular territory of SWT (South West Trains) bashing!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2010, 16:57:40 »

Poor SWT (South West Trains). What have they done to deserve such roth!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2010, 19:18:55 »

For anyone who wants a taster ...

It's been said before, but I think there would be a far greater positive effect from this newsletter if it was rather more constructive in its approach. 

Example:

I notice a 42 minute delay on a half hourly service and that stops were AXED DUE TO OPERATIONAL CONVENIENCE; I expect the passengers had all gone on the train 30 minutes after their planned one, and running the other service fast probably helped change a 35 MINUTES LATE on the next service for that piece of stock into just a 10 MINUTES LATE ...

I'm sure there are valid criticisms in there, but it's hard to know which ones, or what the alternatives were ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2010, 19:55:04 »

Nice work Graham! Reckon you should email them that graphic and suggest they use it to spiff up the visuals on their website a bit Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: