DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningShort Run
20:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 21:41:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Cyclepoint' Bike Park, Paddington Station  (Read 12730 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2009, 14:07:47 »

Architects Journal article - http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/daily-news/cyclepoint-bike-park-paddington-station-by-elefant-architecten/5204677.article?referrer=RSS (Regional Spatial Strategy)

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 14:29:57 »

Looks good.

I also like the attitude of "there is a demand for a facility- lets provide it and charge a sensible fee for its use" rather than "it is too dificult/expensive to accomodate the demand, lets discourage it" which is all too often the British attitude.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 14:47:56 »

I wonder where it will be located? The only two locations actually within the station that might be big enough to house such a structure are between Platforms 8 and 9 and the rear area of Platform 12 - basically where the current dingy facilities are located.

The area from Platforms 9-12 will be totally transformed early next year when all that scaffolding that's been there for around 20 years is finally torn down to reveal the natural daylight coming in through Span 4 again. With a modern glass building like this there too, that will add to the transformation.

No doubt some people will be outraged at having to pay to store their bike, but extra capacity is desperately needed. If you have secure parking you can rely upon then more commuters will use it rather than take their bikes on the train, which is basically a nuisance for FGW (First Great Western) and can cause delays that would be avoided.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
cholsey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 21:21:29 »

Indeed I am slightly outraged by the prospect of having to pay ^274 a year (assuming it actually stays at 75p per day) to park my bike at Paddington.  I can see myself more rather than less likely to lug a folding bicycle onto crowded FGW (First Great Western) trains if no dingy free bicycle parking remains at Paddington.

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 21:40:33 »

Indeed I am slightly outraged by the prospect of having to pay ^274 a year (assuming it actually stays at 75p per day) to park my bike at Paddington.  I can see myself more rather than less likely to lug a folding bicycle onto crowded FGW (First Great Western) trains if no dingy free bicycle parking remains at Paddington.

Hmm - I had a circa ^500 semi folding bike locked up at pad about two years ago. I normally took it home at weekends (fits into the disabled space in 1st quite nicely - obviously on the proviso that if a disabled person actually wants to use it, me and the bike dont).

I went home on a wednesday, got sick and did not return to paddington for 10 days.  I found my back stripped of everything.

Cost me ^600 to replace it not including add ons.

I'd pay it in a heart beat. 

Until you've done (and I did for nealy 7 months) do not underestimate the hastle factor of lugging bike, groceries, normal baggage etc.   Thats why I left it at paddington during the week.

I wont use a Bromtpon but I have a mountain bike that folds in two - complete disc breaks, suspension and everything.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 13:20:51 »

The pilot facility has now been opened at Leeds.  See the article at: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/leeds-cyclepoint-launches-27469

Should it be successful - and I think it probably will be - then others may start appearing over the country.  Paddington (mentioned in the original article), Reading, Bristol and Cardiff would be four possibilities on the FGW (First Great Western) network, maybe others?  I don't think FGW want to encourage any more commuters to take their bikes on the trains and so by providing secure storage at their destination station where the user can leave their bike overnight, as well as Boris' new Cycle Hire scheme in London as an alternative option, should help people shift their commuting habits.

However, you have to ask - just how safe would it be if say, another 10% of commuting within central London was done on bicycles?  I'd predict carnage!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 15:53:08 »

The description of the Leeds scheme seems wrong. It doesn't help the railway if pax arrive in Leeds with a bike, and leave it at the cylepoint while they are at work - and possibly get it repaired? Surely they should be encouraging out of town commuters to leave bikes there overnight and use them during the day.

Or am I misinterpreting the description...

Paul
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 16:21:24 »

The Leeds Cycle Point is based on facilities found at many Dutch stations, though on a considerably smaller scale! The then NedRail (part owner of Northern Rail) brought the concept over a couple of years ago. They succeeded in getting support from Northern, DfT» (Department for Transport - about), ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here), as well as cycle users (via the Northern Cycle Users Forum) and local authorities, plus Network Rail as owners of the station and the location of the CyclePoint.

The purpose is not really to provide parking for cyclist arriving by train (they could leave their bikes at their boarding station, where improved facilities are being installed thanks to a ^1 m grant from Cycling England), rather it is for people biking to Leeds station. For those arriving from further afield Bike Hire is available, as well as repairs and sales.

The CyclePoint is located directly opposite the exit/ entrance to the station adjoining the bus stands and taxi rank. Work is in progress to improve the exit from the station/ CyclePoint to City Square (about 300m) for both pedestrians and cyclists including direct access to cycle routes going east, west and north into the City.

Having worked in the circular building now incorporated into the CyclePoint I can tell you that many people do bike to the station (though some may use it as fairly secure parking spot to go off into Town rather than go by train.
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 16:30:19 »

Just to add, Evans Cycles are opening another shop (larger) at the other end of New Station Street - the station approach road for buses, taxis and bikes, as well as pedestrians. This road is in Network Rail's ownership..Car access and parking is on the western side of the station.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 11:07:32 »

Just to agree with Brompton Rail the Dutch do cycle parks at stations very well. The one outside Amsterdamn Central is  multistorey built out over a canal.

Anyone know how many bikes it holds it must be at least a 1000?
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 12:03:33 »

I have a picture of it (or part of it) on here somewhere.. If I have time later I'll look for it..
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 17:32:36 »

In 2008 Ben van Westing - former MD of Nederlands Spoorwegen Cycling division gave an excellent presentation to the Northern Rail Cycle Users Forum about the concept of Cycle Point. I don't remember how many thousands of cycle parking spaces there were at Amsterdam Centraal but the following is an extract from the presentation ..

"CYCLE POINT ^ There are 40 stations in Netherlands with Cycle Points serving
between 500 and 3,000 bikes per day. In larger cities (e.g. Utrecht) upto 22,000 bikes
are covered. The Points are also Cycling Information / Demonstration places. Use is
made of auto parking and they sites offer sales, repair and rental".

Utrecht is the fourth city in the Netherlands with a population of around 300,000. So we have some way to go in encouraging rail passengers to cycle to the station, in order to even approach the Netherlands!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: