18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 03:48:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Newport Station - problems, improvements and enhancements (merged topics)  (Read 41596 times)
Toiletdriver

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 18:55:29 »

It helps  Roll Eyes

But for me, I love reading the "experts" take on how I should do my job Cheesy
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 19:07:31 »

I've probably already said it, but what an utter eyesore!

Yawn. I'm sure you have. Do you like anything that has been built since 1900  Tongue Wink
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 19:38:46 »

I've probably already said it, but what an utter eyesore!

Yawn. I'm sure you have. Do you like anything that has been built since 1900  Tongue Wink

I do actually Wink

Was rather impressed by Cabot Circus in Bristol yesterday, oh and my house is quite nice, most parts of which are post 1900  Wink
Andypandy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 17:13:14 »

It looks very good inside and outside but when I got to Newport this morning,I wondering why the train that I was on from Hereford stopped a long way down platform 1. Got off and all of the 'crowd safety' people were shouting and pointing down so guessing that meant use the new bridge,so I did. It seemed to be a long walk than before, didnt have much time as I had to get the FGW (First Great Western) train to Swindon. Got to platform 3 just in time.  These 'Crowd Safety' people love shouting and telling people where not to go. Trying to send me over the bridge when all i wanted to do when i was back was to go from 2 to 3. Anyway little moan over. =P Won't start on the ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) 175 refurb! =P Sure it will settle after Ryder Cup
Glovidge

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2010, 05:34:21 »

I'm a regular user of Newport station and um whilst the new concourse etc has the feel of something ultra-modern, there are no toilets within the new building (you have to use the grotty ones on the platform) no shops or refreshment outlets within the new building as far as I can tell and where the old entrance took you more or less straight into Newport City centre you now have to walk a few hundred more metres.

However it is an improvement. Newport is still a s*it-hole though. I'm going to laugh at the confused American tourists going "geez this is quaint" as they walk past another boarded up pub/ shop/ house etc
Andypandy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2010, 07:32:45 »

I agree. The other thing that did confuzzle me was that the trains have either swapped platforms or moved up the platform. Waiting for the train back to Hereford the other day by the usual place and then looked up when it was coming that it stopped so a load of us charged up the platform which the driver though was funny! haa yehh! 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2010, 23:38:02 »

As posts on the subject of Newport Station, and various issues arising from it, have now appeared in several topics - and in a couple of boards - I've now merged them all here, 'in the interests of continuity and clarity' ... original headings have been preserved ... blah, blah  Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2010, 20:32:22 »

From the Network Rail press release (including some rather headache-inducing time lapse video):

RAILWAY TEES UP FOR THE RYDER CUP

The railway has been readying its game in a drive to help serve one of the world^s largest golf tournaments.

Its success will affirm the readiness of Britain^s transport infrastructure in supporting top international events, says Network Rail.

Chris Rayner, western route director, Network Rail said: ^The 2010 Ryder Cup is a chance to showcase Wales on the world stage and our railway will play an important role. More than 45,000 visitors from around the world are expected to make their way into Newport this week and the railway is prepared to support the influx of fans from around the world.

^The Ryder Cup has brought tremendous economic benefits to Newport and its robust rail link was among the key factors for it to become the preferred host city. If Britain has ambitions to stage more top-class events, including the economy-boosting football World Cup, we must continue to invest in a railway on which Britain relies."

In a bid to support the Ryder Cup event, there will be no planned disruptive engineering work on the Great Western main line during the event period. This arrangement has also helped train operating companies provide extra train services for visitors travelling between London and Newport. The brand new Newport station has also been transformed in time into a modern and welcoming facility. The station will serve as the transport hub, where visitors can conveniently hop onto a shuttle bus and straight into Celtic Manor.

The value of hosting the event in Wales is estimated to be over ^70m. The Ryder Cup is broadcast into 750 million homes in 100 countries and covered by 2000 journalists around the world. The value of golf tourism in Wales had increased by ^18m since Wales was selected to host the tournament, to ^34m in 2009.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2010, 21:14:58 »

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/280910ChangesServices/

This has to be one of the most unhelpful pieces of information to post 2 days before the Ryder Cup commences. To "advise" passengers that services in South Wales may be replaced by buses on Sunday without giving more information is just crass incompetence.

Though the publicity by operators about any additional or strengthened services has been pretty poor. I note that on Saturday there is still only the 1tph from London to S Wales,  so no effort made there to cater for more passengers on early morning services. 
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 20:12:40 »

From eGov Monitor:

Quote from: eGov Monitor
Deputy First Minister, Ieuan Wyn Jones, Officially Opens Newport Train Station

The Welsh Assembly Government invested ^8.5m in a ^22m scheme with Network Rail to modernise the station.

Speaking at the launch Mr Jones said,

"The redevelopment of Newport train station - through close collaboration with Network Rail - marks another step forward in building a more accessible and effective rail network and is testament to the ambitious programme that we have  to develop an improved rail infrastructure in Wales.

"A modern integrated transport system is vital for a vibrant Welsh economy and we warmly welcome the development of this important station." 

Passengers at the station now have improved accessibility, with step free access from both terminals onto all the platforms. The station also benefits from increased and improved parking facilities.

Open in time for the 2010 Ryder Cup in October the station played a significant role in welcoming the World to Newport and Wales.

The investment also brings long-term benefits as it plays an instrumental role in the regeneration of the city.

Plans are now underway to complete the second phase of modernising the signalling system at Newport area. This scheme is part of a ^400m scheme to renew the signalling system in south Wales and once completed, it will significantly improve the reliability of rail services and the prospect of introducing more trains.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 20:20:14 »

From the South Wales Argus

Quote from: South Wales Argus
Councillors slam rail bosses over Newport station

Leading Newport councillors launched a stinging attack on Network Rail yesterday over the way it has handled complaints about the city's railway station - hours after its official opening.

Deputy council leader Ed Townsend branded Network Rail "singularly unhelpful" after the authority raised numerous complaints from members of the public about the ^22 million new station which opened in September.

The catalogue of complaints include the leaking roof, lack of an information desk, the fact there is only one ticket desk, the cafe and WH Smith are too far away from platforms two and three to be of any use, lifts are often not working, there is a lack of signs.

On December 4, we reported how Newport council's managing director Tracey Lee and Newport Unlimited chief executive Gareth Beer were calling for an urgent meeting to address the problems.

Speaking at yesterday's full council meeting, Cllr Townsend told fellow member Ray Truman: "I share your disappointment about the station. I do not like it."

He said he has had discussions with Network Rail about the site's accessibility and added: "I think they are being singularly unhelpful with every dealing Newport City Council has...It's about time they responded to the people of Newport not to the shareholders or their board."

Cllr Townsend said that leader Matthew Evans has raised the problems with deputy first minister and transport minister Ieuan Wyn Jones, in Newport yesterday to officially open the station, and first minister Carwyn Jones.

"We are desperately serious that Network Rail responds to our needs," he added.

Cllr Truman said: "It's about improving Newport city centre. The station has a big role to play in that and needs to be service-friendly for people."

A Network Rail spokeswoman said: "Feedback from passengers are important to us and we take them very seriously.

"Improvements, which include improving signage and facilities for disabled passengers, were made to the station as soon as any issued were raised to our attention as we were determined to make it right.

"Our doors remain open to discuss any further concerns that the council may have. "Whilst we recognise that there is always room for improvement, we should also not lose sight of the benefits that the improved station has brought and mostly, boosting the competitive edge which the city needs."

At the opening, Mr Wyn Jones said he hoped the station, part-funded with ^8.5 million Assembly money, would act as an incentive to attract investment.

This month saw the passenger numbers coming through the new station pass the 900,000 mark and Network Rail are expected to hit one million within the next four weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We put your concerns over new station 

At the official opening yesterday, the Argus put our readers' complaints to Mr Jones and rail bosses. Mr Jones referred our reporter to Network Rail. Here is what it had to say:

1. Lack of information desk and one ticket desk

Response: Access to information has changed, people using phones, internet and smart phones to get info and book tickets. "This is a modern, forward-looking station designed for now and many years in the future, it's a shift in demand."

2. W H Smith too far away

Response: Location of W H Smith was up to the store itself. "W H Smith was given the opportunity to go to certain locations - if they want to move somewhere else, there is a way they can do that."

3. Lifts don't work

Response: Network Rail said they had a minor technical fault with the lifts shortly after opening, but it was rectified straight away.

4. Lack of signs

Response: After the station opened, Network Rail had a walk through with some disabled people to highlight any issues, as a result of what was said, they added more signs, including one for the short-stay car park and for the lifts and added extra handrails in the toilets.

5. The leaking roof

Response: Network Rail's principal programme sponsor Mike Gallop said the leaks in the roof were teething problems which have been addressed

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Toiletdriver

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2011, 22:20:37 »

Ref above post.
A single ticket machine at the platform 4 entrance, good idea next to the main car park Roll Eyes
WHSmith, eventually is to go onto platform 2/3 between the new steps and the old ramp, basically about where the benchs are.
Minor fault with the lifts??? Grin  All 3 lifts have spent at least 24 hours out of service on several occasions THIS MONTH!!!
Lack of signs, only installed this month, 3 months after the building opened.
Leaking roof, still leaks, and remember the snow on the inside!!!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 22:28:24 »

Can anyone bag me one of the InterCity Sleeper posters that are still on display in the disused ramp down to the old subway? Must've been there since the early 1980s!!!  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Toiletdriver

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 22:38:59 »

Can anyone bag me one of the InterCity Sleeper posters that are still on display in the disused ramp down to the old subway? Must've been there since the early 1980s!!!  Grin

No, they are MINE!!!
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 22:46:46 »

Am i  the only person to be pretty un impressed with the upgrade it just appears to be steps ,steps and more steps.
And the lift shaft effort on the island platforms has reduced sighting considerably thus increasing safety risks for HSTs (High Speed Train)

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: