Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 05:57:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Remedial Measures Ended  (Read 7958 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2009, 17:37:55 »

Good news for FGW (First Great Western) and well done to everyone who turned this TOC (Train Operating Company) around.

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/travelandtransport/Train-firm-track/article-1165760-detail/article.html

Emergency measures imposed on a firm which runs trains between Bath and London because of its dismal performance have been removed after it made improvements.

Troubled First Great Western faced being stripped of its franchise after the operator breached its service agreement by breaking the limits on cancellations, and then ^misreporting^ them.

But now Transport Secretary Lord Adonis said the operator, dubbed by angry passengers Worst Great Western, has made significant improvements.

^I welcome the improved performance of First Great Western over the last year, which means that remedial measures can now end,^ he said.

^Punctuality and cancellation figures have improved substantially and a better service has been provided to passengers.^

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 17:53:55 »

...dubbed by angry passengers Worst Great Western...

I'll point out that angry passengers actually dubbed it Worst Late Western. Tongue

But joking aside, this is great news. And it makes a change the press with a positive new story about FGW (First Great Western)! I wonder what MTLS (More Train Less Strain) will think...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 19:11:02 by Btline » Logged
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 18:28:27 »

I travelled 731 miles on FGW (First Great Western) on Saturday and the longest delay was about 15 minutes.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 19:05:31 »

Adonis statement can be found here - http://www.dft.gov.uk/press/speechesstatements/statements/firstgreatwesternfranchise

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
willc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 20:30:36 »

and it makes a change the press with a positive new story about FGW (First Great Western)!

Which is a bit rich coming from the person who so grudgingly acknowledged just a few weeks ago the strides in punctuality that FGW had made many months ago - and which some of us in the press have been reporting in a positive way for a long time...
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 20:46:54 »

Which is a bit rich coming from the person who so grudgingly acknowledged just a few weeks ago the strides in punctuality that FGW (First Great Western) had made many months ago - and which some of us in the press have been reporting in a positive way for a long time...

...whilst at the same time other sections of the Fourth Estate are producing howlers like this:

To make matters worse, the trains on the one hour journey from Exeter to Barnstaple also have no toilets.

How many of FGW's trains have no toilets? And how hard would it have been to check?

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 21:13:37 »

...whilst at the same time other sections of the Fourth Estate are producing howlers like this:

I was going to say! How about the Falmouth line saga?

And me, a lone, small, insignificant voice is a COMPLETELY different kettle of fish to the media.

I will admit my comment was a generalisation, but the evidence is out there...
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 21:57:42 »

I am still not a fan of FGW (First Great Western) - before we get too carried away patting them on the back, we should still ask why a supposedly proficient transport operator ran such a wretched service for so long. I haven't seen any stats comparing their recent performance with other operators, but presumably they are doing now, what other TOC (Train Operating Company)'s have been doing for a long time.   
Exeter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 22:28:55 »

Mr Bray.........  perhaps if you aren't a fan you should try alternative modes of travel!! I travel three or four times a month from Reading to the West of England and believe you me it is much better!! Now that the dead wood management that used to prevail have moved on, and the majority of people that run the show seem to live in the real world it has really made a noticable difference. Even the staff on the trains acknowledge this!! Dont be so negative - it still isn't perfect but, based upon all that has been said on this site over the last 18 months, I thought you would have realised what steps have been taken to improve the situation! Read some of the previous posts on many many threads - that will answer your question!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 22:39:42 »

I don't think Steve Bray is saying it isn't better.. He was just saying how come FGW (First Great Western) were allowed to run such a bad service for so long. And I tend to agree. FGW are now getting a pat on the back for such great improvements.. But the improvements are only so great because the service was so bad before.. Other train companies are consistently good.. We're probably back up to the pre FGW takeover of what used to be Thames trains in that area (ooh I can almost tell someone is going to complete disagree with me on that one  Smiley)...
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 22:51:41 »

The problem I have - yet again

they are more reliable - never denied it BUT its only because of padding!

As I've said before - I'd rather get home on time 3/5 times, late 1/5 very late 1/5 than have arbitrary time added to my journey just so they meet punctuality.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 22:53:46 »

But fgw pays ^100 per minute of delay!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 22:58:32 »

Not my problem as a customer

I think I did the math on another post

Average journey time for me is now - to london - about 20-30 minutes longer than in 2004 (my figures are going to differ from last time because of basic assumptions in the model but they are indicative)

Let use 20 minutes

Per day that is 40 minutes

per month that is 880 minutes based on 22 days

in hours that is 36

Thats an extra 1.5 days on a train PER MONTH just because they cant run reliably 5/5 days

Why is this my problem

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 23:16:27 »

Out of interest, who gets this money? Is it invested in the railway... Roll Eyes

PS: Central Trains only paid ^60 per minute! Tongue
willc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 23:56:00 »

And me, a lone, small, insignificant voice is a COMPLETELY different kettle of fish to the media.

I will admit my comment was a generalisation, but the evidence is out there...

Quite, a generalisation - and the media is not some single entity - it is people - and like people generally, some of them occasionally make mistakes, or like you, use generalisations, or don't know the ins and out of how the railways work intimately. As a result, in the countless stories the media produce about railways, among other things, every year, some mistakes will get through. TerminalJunkie, did you bother to tell the North Devon Journal about their mistake, so they would have the opportunity to correct it?

And speaking of generalisations, to claim that FGW (First Great Western)'s punctuality has improved only because of padding is a classic. On my journey - on the same route you use, FA - the typical journey time for the section I use has gone up by a couple of minutes, mostly added, as far as I can tell, to allow for people who don't shut HST (High Speed Train) doors behind them. And those extra stops in the Vale that upset you all so much are a pretty big factor in the extended journey times.

How often have you actually suffered a really long delay on the train recently? About as often as you could expect to get stuck in a jam on a motorway if you drove everywhere, I would suggest. And let's not forget the saintly airlines - the worst hold-up I've had lately on 'public transport', to use the term loosely, was sitting in a plane at Calgary airport waiting to take off for 30 minutes after the scheduled time. But with the help of their padded schedule, we were 'on time' at Heathrow.

My FGW journeys at the end of 2007 and into the middle of last year were frequently being delayed by 30 minutes or worse on a run of just 35 minutes - I had the sheaf of vouchers to prove it - and padding has nothing to do with sorting out those kinds of delays. The only claims I have made for delays of 30 minutes-plus in the past eight months or so were one at the end of November and one in January. I can even manage to get pretty hacked off these days about a five-minute delay - that's how much they have improved.  

It was precisely because FGW weren't delivering that the Government put on the thumbscrews, which coincided with the arrival of  new faces at the top determined to turn things round - it should not have got like that, but it's clear from everything that went on from 2004, when First took over from Thames Trains, and then adding Wessex in 2006, that someone, somewhere within First and FGW had seriously underestimated the scale of the job they were taking on - going from running couple of hundred expresses a day to operating what is arguably the most complicated franchise of the lot, with everything from half-hourly frequency intercity routes down to the Looe branch line. They took too long to sort it out, but they have done it, so give them a little credit, for goodness' sake!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 00:15:44 by willc » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: