Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:48:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Remedial Measures Ended  (Read 7956 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 00:32:24 »

And speaking of generalisations, to claim that FGW (First Great Western)'s punctuality has improved only because of padding is a classic. On my journey - on the same route you use, FA - the typical journey time for the section I use has gone up by a couple of minutes, mostly added, as far as I can tell, to allow for people who don't shut HST (High Speed Train) doors behind them. And those extra stops in the Vale that upset you all so much are a pretty big factor in the extended journey times.

1.5 days a month extra on a train than 5 years ago............what could you do in those days

I remember back then - as i've said

3/5 you got in on time
1/5 you got in late
1/5 you were very late

Forget comparing to 2007/2008 - I lost at least one contract maybe two due to unreliability - clients are happy if I can tell them when I will arrive - then I couldnt guarantee arriving by lunch time! - I am, not comparing it to then - what we have now is better than that

I am comparing it to 2004/05 when I did get the first turbo up because it was quick and stopped at slough and the cathedrals was first stop oxford!

If  you live in the vale and commute to oxford - I can see why its not an issue.

As I've said - if im working IN london, I wont be using FGW - virgin are competively priced on a season and evenn if not reliable are far more frequent.

I'm even thinking of going virgin to slough next week!  if I do that and im still in sough after the blockade - I may not come back - I would if I had some guarantee that in the future decent journey times will come back!  I wait with baited breath

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
willc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 00:48:14 »

Well back in 2004 and earlier, I used to get a good few vouchers out of Thames Trains too, because they were also quite adept at messing up. And still being in Oxford at a time when I was supposed to be back home was quite an issue for me actually.

And how long is that journey using Virgin going to take? Doesn't sound like a recipe for hassle-free travel to me.

PS: A thank you for going through your WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains)-SLO journey options using FGW (First Great Western) would have been nice.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 00:54:34 by willc » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 05:45:27 »

PS: A thank you for going through your WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains)-SLO journey options using FGW (First Great Western) would have been nice.

Yes, I was surprised that there was no thank you, even if the options didn't suit. It must have taken a fair while for you to work out and type the reply. I very much doubt I'll lift a finger to help with her requests from now on.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 10:02:27 »

The reason there was no reply is that i thought I had posted one from my iphone the other day !  it clearly didnt post!

i am not so pig ignorant that I wouldnt have replied!

I always unread posts since last visit so I suispect, the reply never made it (probably due to dodgy signal in the vale) and the next time I went in there were no new replies!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
willc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 10:22:46 »

Apology duly accepted.

PS: Unfortunately, I think that 'through' journey may be a printing mistake in the timetable booklet, which definitely shows the slough time in bold type, but running it through the journey planner has it as change at Reading.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:20:10 by willc » Logged
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 12:43:16 »

But fgw pays ^100 per minute of delay!

Not my problem as a customer

Well, it is! If FGW (First Great Western) is chinging out ^100 at a time for each location it passes late then fares will have to rise...

Robust timetabling makes the whole operation more efficient.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 14:25:01 »

The reason there was no reply is that i thought I had posted one from my iphone the other day !  it clearly didnt post!

i am not so pig ignorant that I wouldnt have replied!

That's a relief to hear. My opinion of iPhone's is dropping, they're only 99.9% perfect in my opinion now!  Smiley

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 16:37:37 »

Regarding the recent upturn in performance, It's also only fair to give a large slice of the credit to Network Rail, too. After all if their infrastructure fails there's not an awful lot FGW (First Great Western) can do about it except suffer the delays.

TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 18:04:57 »

TerminalJunkie, did you bother to tell the North Devon Journal about their mistake, so they would have the opportunity to correct it?

Yes, and they ignored me.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 18:22:22 »

TerminalJunkie, did you bother to tell the North Devon Journal about their mistake, so they would have the opportunity to correct it?

(a) If they had bothered to get back to TJ, what would they have done? Printed a miniscule apology that few would read. Ultimately, FGW (First Great Western)'s reputation would still be stained by those who had read the original article. e.g. when the Daily Mail* printed lies about Jon Snow last year. The apology was miniscule.

(b) They should not make these errors in the first place. As for "... [they] use generalisations, or don't know the ins and out of how the railways work intimately..." If this is the case, then they should not be reporting on it. It should be well researched - like, to be fair, most articles I read are. The media have a responsibility because they have such a huge influence; peoples' and companies' reputations can be affected by what is written, as people take what is written as the truth.

*Disclaimer: I do not buy (or read if I can help it!) the Daily Mail! Wink
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 21:02:00 »

I don't think Steve Bray is saying it isn't better.. He was just saying how come FGW (First Great Western) were allowed to run such a bad service for so long. And I tend to agree. FGW are now getting a pat on the back for such great improvements.. But the improvements are only so great because the service was so bad before.. Other train companies are consistently good.. We're probably back up to the pre FGW takeover of what used to be Thames trains in that area (ooh I can almost tell someone is going to complete disagree with me on that one  Smiley)...

Thanks johoare. You are spot on in your interpretation of what I was saying. Improvements are to be welcomed and I look forward to future improvements. 
willc

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 00:06:38 »

(a) If they had bothered to get back to TJ, what would they have done? Printed a miniscule apology that few would read. Ultimately, FGW (First Great Western)'s reputation would still be stained by those who had read the original article. e.g. when the Daily Mail* printed lies about Jon Snow last year. The apology was miniscule.

(b) They should not make these errors in the first place. As for "... [they] use generalisations, or don't know the ins and out of how the railways work intimately..." If this is the case, then they should not be reporting on it. It should be well researched - like, to be fair, most articles I read are. The media have a responsibility because they have such a huge influence; peoples' and companies' reputations can be affected by what is written, as people take what is written as the truth.

*Disclaimer: I do not buy (or read if I can help it!) the Daily Mail! Wink

Well, I can't speak for the journal, though I find it hard to believe you have just been ignored (and someone has put a comment pointing out the error on the bottom of the story in the early hours today), but many papers, including the one where I work, run regular columns of corrections, and individual corrections, because we believe we should bother about these things - and you would be surprised how well read such items actually are.

Trying to equate this with the Jon Snow case is absurd and a few other things besides - get a sense of proportion! I doubt vast numbers of people have been put off using a train between North Devon and Exeter after reading this - if that's the case, people reading some of the things you have said about Turbos here might well have been put off using the Cotswold Line.

As for "They should not make these errors" maybe you would like to tell all us hard-pressed journalists how to achieve some superhuman level of perfection in our work, not least in a climate where thousands of journalists have lost their jobs in recent months - about 30 more are going at papers in Gloucestershire and Somerset in the next few weeks. Fewer people are filling pretty much the same number of pages as before. And I'm flattered that you think people take what is written to be the truth, when there is endless research showing that people don't believe much of what they read in the papers - certain ones in particular.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 01:35:44 »

Lurching off on a bit of a tangent here, but willc you've actually just hit on an interesting point. I'm going to get briefly philosophical (and declare an interest, for those of you who don't know already, which is that I'm a research scientist).

I was reading Bad Science by Ben Goldacre a few weeks back (if you haven't already done so, I highly recommend it, as well as Goldacre's weekly cloumn of the same name in the Saturday Guardian). He notes that consistently when the public are surveyed regarding professions whom they trust, journalists routinely come near the bottom of the pile, with scientists coming almost at the top.

However, look at a story such as the MMR episode; my memory is slightly faint and I don't have time to look up the exact details right now. However, what I am sure of is that this started off on the basis of some extremely dubious research which almost any scientist would have laughed out of town. However, it was picked up on by journalists (I think, initially, at the Daily Mail* but then spread like wildfire) and all of a sudden newspapers were shrieking about MMR causing autism.

You would think, based on those surveys referred to above, that the public would believe the scientists who have patiently and calmly shown in lots of properly carried out studies since that there is no causative link between MMR and autism. However, it seems that in fact a large number of people prefer to view the journalists in this case as heroic crusaders exposing the truth whilst the evil scientists hover in the background trying to conceal pull the wool over the nation's eyes. All I'm saying is, I value a scientist's opinion more than a journalist's here but a lot of people don't.

So the moral of the story is that actually a large proportion of the public gives immense credence to what appears in print. Journalists should not underestimate the power that they have to influence people's thinking, because with it comes an immense responsibility.

I will now remove my philosophical hat for the evening.

*incidentally (with credit to Goldacre) has anyone else noticed the Mail's ongoing project to categorize everything on earth as something that either causes or cures cancer?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 08:21:26 »

So the moral of the story is that actually a large proportion of the public gives immense credence to what appears in print. Journalists should not underestimate the power that they have to influence people's thinking, because with it comes an immense responsibility.

Or maybe it was just that they were choosing to believe what the scientists stood up in public and said... because as you note, journalists are about as trusted by the public as estate agents and politicians, while scientists are rather more highly rated, so to try to say this is about the power of the press is a bit rich.

The infamous MMR research paper appeared in The Lancet, which your average person - journalists included, since we are not superhuman, despite what some on here seem to think - probably regards as the leading medical journal, so if they publish it, it tends to give things a certain credibility in the eyes of the layman. And until the information about Andrew Wakefield's financial dealings with lawyers fighting MMR claims came to light, there were rather a lot of other scientists named as co-authors, who then hastily withdrew only at that point, several years after the paper was published - oh, and it was a journalist who got to the bottom of Wakefield's links to the lawyers.

Sorry, but it's stretching credibility to make out that this one was the fault of journalists - clearly some scientists had a hand in it.  As far as I'm aware, peer review of papers is supposed to stop this kind of thing - dubious research - in its tracks, long before it gets near the likes of the Lancet, so I'd suggest the science community also has to take its share of the blame.

And now it's time to head off for another day spreading lies and distortions...

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 17:09:34 »

The Secretary of State for Transport's statement is now available on the e-gov website, at http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/26381

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: