Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:09:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ordering of fast trains out of Paddington to Reading  (Read 11215 times)
Boppy

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2009, 11:56:12 »

Hi,

My experience from last night getting home to Reading (and then missing my connecting bus) has led me to once again post a question concerning the ordering of trains leaving from Paddington or more relevantly when to put fast turbo trains on the relief line instead.

I certainly don't want to make this a moan - I'm much more genuinely interested to know more about the decision making process that occurs when several fast trains leave Paddington within a few minutes and how signallers decide the optimal order of those trains.

So what happened last night?

Because of delays to the incoming services (due to trespassers on the line) the 19.45 (to Plymouth) and the 19.48 (to Cheltenham Spa) HST (High Speed Train) services were delayed by a few minutes leaving.  However the 19.50 fast service to Oxford left on time.  A couple of minutes before the 19.50 left the screens popped up with platforms for both the 19.45 & 19.48 so I had to decide which train would get to Reading first out of those 3 choices.

I checked from the bridge which out of the 19.45 and 19.48 was dispatched first and so ended up taking the 19.48 service hoping that it would not be held up behind the slower 19.50 service.  Unfortunately, that is what happened - the train order was the slower Turbo 19.50 which stopped at Slough followed by the 19.48 and then the 19.45.

So the 19.48 travelled at reduced speed slowing before Slough and I got to Reading at 20.30 after a few minutes wait outside Reading as well.

My question is this:

Is it worth delaying 2 trains more so just to keep 1 on time?  I would have thought that the 19.48 would have got to Reading almost on time if ordered first (it left a minute or 2 late from what I recall).  The 19.45 could then also have followed at a higher speed and possibly made up time further along it's journey form any slack available.

As I say I'm just pretty interested to know how the order is decided - and whether there is scope for signallers to put the 19.50 on the relief line at the start to let HSTs overtake?

Plus I would have though FGW (First Great Western) would rather 1 of their trains was officially late rather than having 2 that were.

Any feedback over how such decisions are made would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Boppy.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 12:52:53 »

I would imagine that the signallers were not sure when the 1945 and 1948 service were to depart, as TRTS (Train Ready To Start. A plunger/switch pressed by platform dispatch staff that informs the signaller that a train is ready to depart.) hadn't been called.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 13:08:25 »

I would imagine that the signallers were not sure when the 1945 and 1948 service were to depart, as TRTS (Train Ready To Start. A plunger/switch pressed by platform dispatch staff that informs the signaller that a train is ready to depart.) hadn't been called.

That's probably about right. TRTS being 'Train Ready To Start' which is a button or plunger that despatch staff press when the train is all set to go (i.e. there's a driver and guard, the train is prepared, and the last of the passengers is boarding).

The signallers at Slough will (in conjunction with the Automatic Route Setting system) decide which gets preference based mainly on that, and once committed it can take a few minutes for a set route to 'die out' and another to be set, so it's more trouble than it's worth. There is also a good chance that the Slough signallers would not have the time to check that it's a Turbo and make a decision based on that - though if stopping at Slough it only adds a couple of minutes to the through timings anyway.

Though sometimes I've witnessed some decidedly sloppy signalling, so it's possible that was the case for the trains your describe too.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 13:22:41 »

If Paddington is controlled by ARS (Automatic Route Setting), then it is possible that ARS set the route, and the signallers were not happy filling out many hundreds of forms upon cancelling a route. (120seconds before the signal is useable again) plus the miffed driver who would be on the phone to the bobby etc.
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 14:29:55 »

Hi,

Cheers for your replies which have answered some of the things I was wondering about.  It sounds pretty automated then!

Thanks again,

Boppy.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 14:41:06 »

It main weakness of the signalling system is that the Automatic Route setting circuits are very slow and take a minute or so to set, cancel or change a route.  This means that Signallers are often loathed to change things once they are set
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 09:30:49 »

There is also the problem that the despatch stafff at Padd are FGW (First Great Western) whilst the signalmen at Slough are Networkrail. Therefore all communication has to go via Swindon. Although FGW/Networkrail have a joint control it still takes time.

That's why you need a fat controller and all staff working for the same company (BR (British Rail(ways))?). In BR days the duty manager at Padd would have  decided what order to let the trains out and TELL OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) box that's what was going to happen.

Throw in the delays ARS (Automatic Route Setting) imposes changing order then it's more than likely the wrong decision about order of despatch will be made.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 13:37:11 »

It's also worth bearing in mind that an Oxford Turbo is working pretty hard to keep to time and has precious little recovery time in hand, whereas the other two trains were going a lot further and have recovery allowances built in down the line. Not great if you're only going to Reading, I will concede, but the odds are other trains were right time at the end of their journeys.

Does anyone know whether the transfer from Slough to the new signal centre at Didcot at the end of next year will have any implications for the operation of the route-setting equipment? Presumably this is dependent on the kit in the signal centre.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 15:07:44 »

Does anyone know whether the transfer from Slough to the new signal centre at Didcot at the end of next year will have any implications for the operation of the route-setting equipment? Presumably this is dependent on the kit in the signal centre.

A very interesting question. I think it comes under the Chinese curse of "May you live in interesting times". Current "new" siganalling schemes, Portsmaouth, Manchester South etc. have not gone very well, so the omens are not good for a smooth change over.

I'm not sure how much physical equipment is to be replaced in the Slough area but basically Didcot will be the new signalbox for Slough and will operate with VDUs,  ARS (Automatic Route Setting) and SSSI interlocking, whereas Slough is currently relay locking and NX push buttons (strictly turn and push).

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 15:19:27 »

I could have sworn Slough was an IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre)?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 16:03:12 »

My memory may be failing me but I'm pretty sure Slough has (or at the very least had) both a panel box and an IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre) seperately, controlling different areas.
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 16:05:10 »

My understanding is that Slough is a panel, and Slough New (covering Paddington-Hayes/Heathrow area) is an IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre). Similar to Swindon having two boxes, with Swindon B being the IECC covering Didcot.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 17:06:39 »

A very interesting question. I think it comes under the Chinese curse of "May you live in interesting times". Current "new" siganalling schemes, Portsmaouth, Manchester South etc. have not gone very well, so the omens are not good for a smooth change over.

I'm not sure how much physical equipment is to be replaced in the Slough area but basically Didcot will be the new signalbox for Slough and will operate with VDUs,  ARS (Automatic Route Setting) and SSSI interlocking, whereas Slough is currently relay locking and NX push buttons (strictly turn and push).

But in both cases you cite, the suppliers of the kit were new to the UK (United Kingdom) network - Siemens at Portsmouth and Ansaldo at Manchester - a result of the unlamented Railtrack trying to put pressure on their existing suppliers, I think. Didcot will be a Westinghouse installation and they know what they're doing in UK conditions and are locally based, Chippenham to be precise.
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 06:59:46 »

My understanding is that Slough is a panel, and Slough New (covering Paddington-Hayes/Heathrow area) is an IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre). Similar to Swindon having two boxes, with Swindon B being the IECC covering Didcot.

Correct  Smiley

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 10:53:22 »

You all make some interesting points:

• willc - The Oxford Turbo having less slack over it's entire route is something I hadn't considered.  You're right that I'm obviously aggrieved that my train gets to Reading late but I agree that the HSTs (High Speed Train) may well have caught up their 15mins delay by the end of their journeys.  For statistics at what part of a train's journey is recording it's time done - is it just the end stop?  Does a train get recorded as late if it arrives at Reading 15mins late but arrives at Plymouth on time?
  • Everybody's points about the various signalling panels and the modernisation of things moving from Slough to Didcot have shown me just how complicated the setup is.  Are these new signalling schemes designed to control larger areas from one location and if so will this improve things signalling wise in people's opinions?
  • eightf48544 - Your point about having just one person in control of dispatch (like back in the BR (British Rail(ways)) days) is interesting as it seems to me there is an issue here.  The current joint control for dispatch sounds very bad for FGW (First Great Western) to me as whilst they have an incentive to dispatch the trains as optimally as possible I just don't see how or why this would also be the case for Network Rail - is there some benefit they gain by re-ordering the trains that get delayed?  From the sounds of it the effort needed to sign off changing routes actually makes it a disincentive!

Cheers,

Boppy.

[/list]
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: