Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 05:29:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1054377 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: July 29, 2016, 11:25:50 »

The support structures may well be tailored to the location, (I don't think we've seen the details yet) and will be positioned to suit the piers of the bridge, rather than the normal distances apart. 
Something different to the usual has already been fitted at Moulsford, a more lightweight centrally mounted cantilever system.  So I suggest that Maidenhead bridge may be similar.

Some concrete bases with fixings have appeared in each of the recesses in the cess each side of the bridge, so I'd expect that to mean structures fitted there rather than in the middle.  Moulsford is essentially two separate bridges bolted together so much easier to fit structures down the middle - not sure there's the room over Maidenhead Bridge.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: July 29, 2016, 11:33:14 »

The screen conductor is always with the other (non-OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE")) cables.

I thought as installed between Tileshurst and Didcot the screen conductor was the lower one linking all the masts, not mounted on an insulator - is that just another earthing conductor?

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 29, 2016, 11:49:34 »

I thought as installed between Tileshurst and Didcot the screen conductor was the lower one linking all the masts, not mounted on an insulator - is that just another earthing conductor?

Paul

I've not seen anything about a wire like that - but this is a description off the screen conductor, written about the change to ATF on the WCML (West Coast Main Line):
Further changes see the introduction of a return screen
conductor installed in parallel with the traction return
rail and is positioned within 200mm of telecoms cable
routes or normally within the same trough. This cable is
a 19/4.22mm (170mm2) and is connected to the
traction return rail every 400 metres this is normally via
structure to rail bonds or by dedicated spider plates
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: July 29, 2016, 20:54:45 »

The screen conductor is always with the other (non-OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE")) cables.

Paul

The lower one on the masts is the earth wire which bonds all the structures together.  The screening conductor is laid in the trough routes and its called a "Mutual Screening Conductor" (MSC), this is connected to the running rails approx. every 400 metres, either directly to both where axel counters are used for train detection or via impedance bonds where conventional track circuits are used.   The principle of the MSC is it carries a small amount of return current which is anti-phase the contact wire, the MSC being placed right next to signal and telecom cables means it negates any induced voltage these cables may pick up, things like Signalling Loc cases are also bonded to the MSC.  The MSC is effectively earth but does not pick up every OLE structure this done by the earth wire.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: July 30, 2016, 12:49:30 »

Thanks to Electric train for the additional details confirming that the cable on the masts is there for conventional earthing, and the screen is separate and located with the non-OHLE cabling.

I've found a photo I had taken at Pangbourne so I've added it just for interest to show the mast mounted cable I was referring to.

Paul
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: August 03, 2016, 21:03:41 »

Definatly the earth wire.

I did get my screen conductors muddled up  Cry  There are 2 types MSC and RSC - Mutual Screening Conductor and Return Screening Conductor.  The tpye use on the GW (Great Western) is actually an RSC as it use part of the return current, the MSC is still a conductor in the cable trough routes but it is not connected the traction retun, it has earth rods placed approx every 400 meters this type of screening is used on the "clasic booster transformer return" 25kV system.

The MSC is not as effective as the RSC, the MSC requiring more maintenace as the earth rods need testing every ew years

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: August 10, 2016, 11:42:56 »

New structures have appeared in the last 2 days in Sonning Cutting between Duffield Road and Butts Hill Road bridges on the Woodley/Sonning border.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: August 14, 2016, 12:09:28 »

...and as I type, this is happening at the bottom of my garden (apologies for the state of my compost heap! Smiley)

John R

View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: August 14, 2016, 12:42:01 »

Have you set up a Facebook page yet "Save BBM's View", demanding different, less visually intrusive, overheads behind your garden?
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: August 14, 2016, 13:06:46 »

Have you set up a Facebook page yet "Save BBM's View", demanding different, less visually intrusive, overheads behind your garden?

As long as I get a better train service from Twyford they can do whatever they like!  Grin

(as you might guess from the photo my view of the structures is somewhat hidden by vegetation etc anyway)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: August 14, 2016, 17:47:27 »

Perhaps regular travellers will set up a Facebook page demanding a more visually appealing BBM compost heap!  Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: August 15, 2016, 09:07:44 »

Noticed lots of chaps in yellow with surveying instruments around the station area at Newbury the other day - perhaps work is due to start soon ;-)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1917 on: August 16, 2016, 08:10:41 »

Although fully wired pass my house in Taplow I can't see the O/H or the trains for the trees!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: August 16, 2016, 08:18:48 »

Although fully wired pass my house in Taplow I can't see the O/H or the trains for the trees!

Ditto - and let's hope it stays that way!!!  Smiley
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: August 17, 2016, 09:27:47 »

I notice that the OHLE on the UM and DM between Pangbourne and Tilehurst is earthed (ie cables across the insulators), so it looks like following the publicity run with the 80x on electric it’s been switched off for now so installation work can be continued. 

Notice also that the autotransformer cables (ie the ones above the gantries) on the UM and DM between Pangbourne and Tilehurst are not yet all installed: presumably the test run with just the one train drawing power didn’t need the voltage stabilisation that the auto-transformer system provides (I’ve tried to understand what ET and others have explained re OHLE!).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: