Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 07:08:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1054393 times)
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: September 11, 2016, 18:40:43 »

Large crane and part of new bridge in situ at Boundary Road, Newbury, although no actual WIP, when I passed earlier this afternoon.

Engineering notices up at the Station indicating evening bustitution between RDG(resolve) and BDW, every week (Mon-Thurs) between tomorrow and 21/10.

Are we about to see a "surge" in OHLE installation activity on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury)?

Edit: Looks like the above may be the case - piling between Midgham and Newbury various nights this week
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/great-western-route-modernisation/west-berkshire/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:23:40 by Thatcham Crossing » Logged
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: September 21, 2016, 08:33:02 »

From a quick look (from what I can see from the A4, not from a train), uprights now appearing between Aldermaston and Midgham and around Ufton Nervet crossing (where the overbridge is now also in place).

Will provide another update in a few days (when I will have been on a train!).
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: September 23, 2016, 09:51:24 »

There was a piece on the Severn Tunnel work on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West last night. A few shots of the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") being installed. The reporter, Alice Bouverie, is Sir John Hawkshaw's great, great, great granddaughter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07v2gv2/points-west-evening-news-22092016

Starts around 12' 00"
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: September 23, 2016, 12:56:18 »

There was a piece on the Severn Tunnel work on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West last night. A few shots of the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") being installed. The reporter, Alice Bouverie, is Sir John Hawkshaw's great, great, great granddaughter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07v2gv2/points-west-evening-news-22092016

Starts around 12' 00"
Very good, I saw it last night. Get in quick as local news programs are only on iplayer for 24 hours from broadcast.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: September 26, 2016, 16:54:39 »

I know. I missed it!

Now, please!
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: September 26, 2016, 21:42:14 »

Will provide another update in a few days (when I will have been on a train!)

In addition to what I posted above, quite a lot of uprights also in place in the Theale sidings area. Quite a lot of the "dangly bits" (ie, what the wires hang from) around the curve from Reading West towards Reading. Not too much evidence of more work between Reading West and Southcote Junction though, or between there and Theale.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: September 30, 2016, 21:07:16 »

At last! The OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") fairy has blessed Reading station with some dangly bits. Though you might quibble that chunks of steel rigidly bolted on like those don't so much dangle as stick out awkwardly.

And aren't they awkward? Series One has been criticised for being so chunky, but that's mainly the supporting structures (portals, posts, and cantilevers). The OLE stuff that gets attached looks - well at least it looks like it was designed. This looks like whatever was around in the steelyard when the job needed to be done.

As I recall it, Reading was to be fitted out for OLE within RSAR, but the design work started before it was decided to electrify the GWML (Great Western Main Line) (or for Crossrail to come all the way). Series One was designed for the GW (Great Western), from 2011 to 2015.

I wonder what's going to fix onto the end of those skyhooks? I don't think Series One will fit. Perhaps Series two, or the design Furrer and Frey did for the GE (which must be similar to Series Two)?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: October 01, 2016, 00:09:51 »

There are portals exactly like that (same crossbar section anyway) further along towards Pangbourne supporting normal Series 1 off those vertical tubes.

Paul
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: October 01, 2016, 09:09:41 »

At last! The OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") fairy has blessed Reading station with some dangly bits. Though you might quibble that chunks of steel rigidly bolted on like those don't so much dangle as stick out awkwardly.

And aren't they awkward? Series One has been criticised for being so chunky, but that's mainly the supporting structures (portals, posts, and cantilevers). The OLE stuff that gets attached looks - well at least it looks like it was designed. This looks like whatever was around in the steelyard when the job needed to be done.

As I recall it, Reading was to be fitted out for OLE within RSAR, but the design work started before it was decided to electrify the GWML (Great Western Main Line) (or for Crossrail to come all the way). Series One was designed for the GW (Great Western), from 2011 to 2015.

I wonder what's going to fix onto the end of those skyhooks? I don't think Series One will fit. Perhaps Series two, or the design Furrer and Frey did for the GE (which must be similar to Series Two)?

The pointy up "stove pipes" are for the ATF (Auto Transformer Feed) some will have a "gallows" arm fitted which will have an insulator hung from it others will have the insulator side fitted.

The down wards  "stove pipes" will have the registration arm assemblies.

An then there are the auto tensioning devices, the look like big cable reels, mounted up on some of the portals usually the ones with back stays

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: October 03, 2016, 20:23:45 »

By kind permission of Network Rail, I was given the chance to go inside the Severn Tunnel and view the electrification works at first hand today.

The whole operation, and that of the works at the nearby Patchway Tunnels, is being masterminded from a temporary headquarters in a series of portable buildings on the edge of Filton airfield.

It was actually my second visit to the tunnel.  The first was in 1986 for the centenary and the safety culture has certainly changed since.  Back then it was a question of parking at the access point, please don't wear open-toed shoes and that was about it.  For today's visit a medical questionnaire needed to be returned 72 hours beforehand followed by the issue of full safety kit on the day and a half hour briefing at Filton before setting off to the access point. There is a strictly enforced 5mph speed limit throughout the compound at Filton and as you'd expect everyone has to sign in.  It is not just for security but also as a physical check that workers are fit for duty and are even quizzed on where they are going on departure so travelling time is monitored to prevent fatigue. 

I should offer my excuses for any less than perfect shots from inside the tunnel.  It is not the easiest place to take photos hand-held without using flash.

We started from the English end and rode into the tunnel on the back of a Road/Rail Vehicle.

It is well known the tunnel suffers from water ingress and although there were occasional drips from the tunnel roof I was surprised how dry the tracks were - even if the walls were a little damp! 50 million litres are pumped everyday from the tunnel into the River Severn (so it can come back in the next day).  That's around 20 Olympic swimming pools.

We travelled about two miles into the tunnel - nearly halfway - and caught up with a party working on the new overhead

From the English end the overhead on the down line looked complete from the portal to the midpoint with work progressing well on the up.

As has been discussed before the overhead consists of a solid conductor rail rather than a wire to combat problems with the damp.

You could also see the preparatory work for the overhead to be installed on the up line.

Kitted out in a full orange army outfit meant it actually felt quite pleasant in the tunnel with the lower temperatures and a breeze running through from the Welsh end.

There were four gangs working in the tunnel today.  There are three shifts a day seven days a week as work which would otherwise take five years if it was done at night and weekends continues for just under another three weeks.

We reached the point where the tunnel levels out for a short while before climbing to the Welsh end.  The two blue lights on the walls indicate the end of the descent for drivers. 

It was a fascinating insight into the project which has clearly been meticulously planned, as you would expect, but has also enthused the workforce who without exception were keen to talk about their role and their satisfaction in getting it done safely and on time.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: October 03, 2016, 20:37:21 »

Envious? Not half!

How many were in your group permitted into the tunnel?

And is there a picture of bobm in full PPE?!  Wink  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: October 03, 2016, 20:42:13 »

Orange bobm? Not sure we are ready for that!

That is a fantastic insight into the work going on, and I for one am very grateful to bobm and to those who facilitated his visit for it.

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: October 03, 2016, 20:44:38 »

Seven - accommodation is limited by the number you can fit on an RRV (Road Rail Vehicle).

There was a bi-lingual crew from BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Wales so I suspect there will be something from them on screen later in the week.

As for a picture.....

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: October 03, 2016, 21:09:23 »

As for a picture.....

Ah a blue hat ........... that tells a tale  Grin

Looks like they are using stainless steel for the stovepipes and registration arms, whilst more expensive than the usual galvanised should last a lot longer

The beam has not had the contact wire fitted yet, that is one of the last bits of the install and then its panned

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: October 03, 2016, 21:57:41 »

There was a bi-lingual crew from BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Wales so I suspect there will be something from them on screen later in the week.

I love those fillums with the bored housewives...

Is that my coat?

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: