Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
15:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
16:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:35 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Delayed
14:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:07 London Paddington to Newbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:07 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
15:34 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 15:28:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[99] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[88] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[35] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[32] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1054538 times)
Billhere

View Profile Email
« Reply #1665 on: March 29, 2016, 16:31:27 »

ECML (East Coast Main Line) was known in the trade as being built on the cheap and they have suffered the consequences ever since.

As this is the first major electrification scheme for years perhaps they aren't taking any chances with this one and making it really substantial to avoid any problems when the wind blows.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: March 29, 2016, 22:13:37 »

ECML (East Coast Main Line) was known in the trade as being built on the cheap and they have suffered the consequences ever since.

As this is the first major electrification scheme for years perhaps they aren't taking any chances with this one and making it really substantial to avoid any problems when the wind blows.

Whisper it quietly, but it's partially about meeting new European technical standards for interoperability (TSI's) which require heavier gauge wires under greater tension so you get less lateral and horizontal movement. That way you can run trains with multiple pantographs at speeds of up to 140mph.

Part of the design also facilitates quick assembly, so the cross-spans pretty much clip onto the uprights rather than having to be drilled in-situ.

Not just the GWML (Great Western Main Line), I think I saw Noel Dolphin of Furrer+Frey quote that there was something like ^1.5bn being spent on replacing electrification kit elsewhere on the network. 
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: March 29, 2016, 22:30:48 »

I don't think all ECML (East Coast Main Line) OHLE is the same. I'm 99% sure that the picture I posted does NOT show the type you are talking about, I think the OHLE which comes down on all tracks has a horrizonal wire going across all the tracks, from which the contact wires are hung, apparently. The picture I showed does not have this horrizontal contact wire, the tracks have their own independent supports.

No, because that picture is only 2 track. Headspan is (was) typically used on the four track sections where there is rarely room in the middle for separate structures.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: March 30, 2016, 11:31:30 »

There's been some talk about painting portals and uprights green in order for them to blend in better with the landscape, but that photo shows that weathered, dirty, maybe slightly corroded unpainted metal actually matches agricultural land very well.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: March 30, 2016, 12:29:39 »

I say chrome plate them and adorn with fairy lights.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: April 20, 2016, 07:59:04 »

I have not travelled this way for  wile and have now bee a couple of times in the last week.

Between Didcot and Reading almost all the columns are up and progress is being made on the knitting. Is there a current date for this section to be finished?

West of Didcot The bridges at Wantage Road and Shrivenham seem to be nearly complete and the bridge at Hanney seems well under way. Virtually all the piling seems to have been done and the metalwork is going up east of Wantage Road.  The only remaining big barrier is the silence over when work will take place, to close Stocks Lane crossing and lower the track under High Street Bridge at Steventon
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1671 on: April 20, 2016, 08:53:56 »

September is when the testing is due to start Reading-Didcot, and NR» (Network Rail - home page) insist they're still on schedule with this
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1672 on: April 20, 2016, 08:56:22 »

Most posts complete with dangly bits ready for wiring are installed from Taplow towards Maidenhead.

But this is crossrail not GWML (Great Western Main Line).
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1673 on: April 20, 2016, 11:05:30 »

Most posts complete with dangly bits ready for wiring are installed from Taplow towards Maidenhead.

But this is crossrail not GWML (Great Western Main Line).
Relief lines only then? Crossrail aren't going to be using the main lines are they.

Press release from NR» (Network Rail - home page) regarding the electrification programme for the Severn Tunnel, which includes a short video:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/130-year-old-severn-tunnel-to-get-railway-upgrade
Is absolutely everything required to electrify the line through the tunnel being done in this long closure in September and October? Will the Severn Tunnel be a fully electrified line (perhaps just waiting for the power to be switched on to energise the conductor rail) on 22nd October or is there another long closrue planned nearer the new target date of complete electrification between Cardiff and Paddington in 2018?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:22:05 by Rhydgaled » Logged

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: April 20, 2016, 11:32:47 »

Relief lines only then? Crossrail aren't going to be using the main lines are they.

The Crossrail part of the project, (although being undertaken by NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s contractors), already included the full four track railway as far as Maidenhead.   This is also why certain main line side platforms are being extended, because Crossrail would still have had to be able to run on the mains during routine maintenance work on the reliefs resulting in a two track timetable.

Paul
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: April 20, 2016, 16:02:02 »

September is when the testing is due to start Reading-Didcot, and NR» (Network Rail - home page) insist they're still on schedule with this

I'm being pedantic, but I think it's technically Tilehurst to Didcot that has to be available for testing, would have thought that could be comfortably achieved looking at current progress, though I'm sure they will want to do a *lot* of testing before the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) get anywhere near it, last thing they will want is a dewirement or other failure being caught on camera.

Incidentally, the technical term for the "dangly bits" is "small part steelwork".

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1676 on: April 20, 2016, 16:09:53 »

I'm sure the trains will be running into/out of Reading?

They won't want to (can they even?) turn back at Tilehurst? And they surely win't want to be testing raising pantographs on the miove each time?
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: April 20, 2016, 16:22:49 »

I have been told that wiring of Reading station is excluded from the September deadline.

Two points:

- Bi modes simplify the problem - could stop and change mode at Tilehurst if they did not want to do this on the move, but I would have thought this will be a key part of the testing anyway.
- it may be the intention to wire the western entrance into the depot or, alternatively, the passenger loop, which would allow reversal.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: April 20, 2016, 16:24:41 »

They could, and my guess is probably will, exit from the western end exit of the depot initially.  That would mean the station area would not need to be ready.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1679 on: April 20, 2016, 19:36:53 »

Incidentally, the technical term for the "dangly bits" is "small part steelwork".

Thank you for that clarification, Noggin: I've taken the opportunity to add that to the Coffee Shop forum's 'acronyms / abbreviations' page.  Wink Cheesy Grin
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 19:48:18 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: