Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:55 Great Malvern to London Paddington
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:11 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
13:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 14:02:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[20] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[18] Cornish delays
[2] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 176
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification - ongoing discussion  (Read 1054082 times)
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: November 08, 2016, 11:38:27 »

Agreed, if you can change from Diesel to Electric on the move then what is the point of completing electrification, it can be postponed indefinitely.

Although not quite sure what they will do with the electrification 'substation' at Radley which was only installed a couple of months ago.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: November 08, 2016, 11:42:33 »

Agreed, if you can change from Diesel to Electric on the move then what is the point of completing electrification, it can be postponed indefinitely.

Although not quite sure what they will do with the electrification 'substation' at Radley which was only installed a couple of months ago.

I don't think the 387s can swop on the move.  I think that is just an IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) capability. 
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: November 08, 2016, 11:45:56 »

387s would run to DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) only with a diesel shuttle to OXF» (Oxford - next trains), sometimes extended to BAN.

There are some side effects here - in local planning there are 1000 homes to be built around Culham station - not so attractive a location maybe if it only has an hourly service to DID / OXF for an unknown time.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2088 on: November 08, 2016, 11:49:55 »

I don't think the 387s can swop on the move.  I think that is just an IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) capability. 

I don't either - they have no diesel capability at all.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: November 08, 2016, 12:18:19 »

The 387's don't need to be, the OXF» (Oxford - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) stoppers can be a diesel shuttle to Didcot and 387 from DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) to Paddington and the fasts can be IEP changing from diesel to electric at Didcot East Junc.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2090 on: November 08, 2016, 12:21:30 »

But there's a speed loss on diesel, right? 110mph rather than 125mph, so there'll be degaradation of timetables?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: November 08, 2016, 12:31:44 »

But there's a speed loss on diesel, right? 110mph rather than 125mph, so there'll be degaradation of timetables?

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) there is not much 125 between Thingley and Bristol, between Filton and Bristol, or between Didcot and Oxford, Not sure about Reading to Newbury. 

The timetable problem would be on the South Wales Route.

1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: November 08, 2016, 12:32:23 »

Oh quelle surprise - so the supposed benefits for customers on the Hereford line are what exactly? The new Hitachi trains are unlikely to run any faster beyond Oxford especially if it won't be electric all the way there anymore. The seating isn't supposed to be as comfortable as the HST (High Speed Train) in 1st - I dread to think about standard. There is a lack of a buffet. Can we keep the HST to Hereford please.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: November 08, 2016, 12:33:41 »

When you 'defer' something without specifying a date, isn't that the same thing as 'cancelling' it?

No I suspect it is all about not making CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) commitments until CP6 is agreed.

Postponing Oxford until it can be aligned with Oxford Station improvements might save some money too
Visoflex

View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: November 08, 2016, 12:48:47 »

Peculiar decisions regarding Temple Meads and Oxford, but diesel IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)'s will no doubt lessen the blow until station refurb funding becomes available..
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: November 08, 2016, 12:57:25 »

Can we keep the HST (High Speed Train) to Hereford please.
No you can't, such is progress.

I don't think you should be able to like your own post either, to be fair...   Huh

Paul
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: November 08, 2016, 13:01:19 »

How can Filton Bank not be electrified after all the work already done? And the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) depot there,too?

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2097 on: November 08, 2016, 13:04:50 »

There are those of us who are really fond of our current trains - be they class 125 or class 153.  However, if we campaigned to keep them and won would rapidly find our love for them drowned by people complaining about old trains on their line ... to say nothing of increasing maintenance costs and failures over the years ahead, and a real problem is we'd refused an upgrade on the back of a bigger order and wanted a special build later.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: November 08, 2016, 13:24:22 »

I don't think you should be able to like your own post either, to be fair...   Huh

Paul
Can we at least keep the comfortable seats? I've heard (and yes it may be hearsay) that the new seats are awful.

I wasn't aware I'd liked my own post  Huh I think that might be too many things on my desk causing spurious mouse clicks when I unintentionally move the mouse. I've unliked it now.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: November 08, 2016, 13:27:13 »

I think that might be too many things on my desk causing spurious mouse clicks when I unintentionally move the mouse.

Yes I often do that - knowing that a bigger desk would just allow me to spread my clutter to fill it, a bit more discipline is needed!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 176
  Print  

Jump to: