07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 12:29:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[79] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[78] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[64] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[42] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[24] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol tram plan may replace bendy buses plan (merged topics)  (Read 26414 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: July 26, 2009, 02:40:50 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

A bendy bus scheme is to be introduced in Bristol within the next two years.

The government is to fund the ^42m project for the city as part of its overall future transport strategy for England.

The route planned for the bus is from the Long Ashton park-and-ride site and along Cumberland Road before heading through the city to Temple Meads.

Bendy buses have been phased out in London, with the capital's mayor calling them "much-loathed vehicles".

Money for the scheme has been set aside as part of the Regional Funding Allocation - a process of prioritising major transport schemes across the whole of the south west region over the next 10 years.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 09:41:24 »

Another hair brained scheme by the sounds of it ....difference and benefits over an ordinary bus ??..well it bends i suppose..could have given it a much more exciting name taking a cue from the much celebrated pewsey station bus...caling it The Bristol Wiggybus

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 09:55:35 »

There is, I believe serious, consideration being made that the new Truro East P&R (Park and Ride) vehicles should be bendy buses too.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 10:50:34 »

Maybe they could buy the bendy buses from Boris?  Wink
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 11:03:54 »

Maybe they could buy the bendy buses from Boris?  Wink

(Truro) It has been discussed, how seriously and whether an approach has been made I don't know.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 12:36:26 »

I care not a jot whether my bus is bendy, double decker, single decker, hopper or whatever. All I want is a bus that is on time, with a reasonable fare, clean and clear of scroats. Don't get much of that in Bristol at the moment!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 14:59:26 »

Showcase busroute.... guided busway.... bendy bus.... Those consultants, who are so worth the millions we spend on them, need to think of a new name for a bus that doesn't have the word bus in it, because they're still failing to fool us. A bus is a bus is a bus, ask anyone in Bristol who doesn't use buses what sort of public transport they might choose to use, and they all won't say bus.

I don't actually mind buses myself, but then I grew up in a family without a car so I feel at home on the 76 to Hartcliffe. However, I try to use Bristol buses as little as possible, because they are slower than walking, more unreliable than the British summer, and almost as expensive as taxis.... and that will apply regardless of how they are re-branded. Unless these bendy buses have developed the ability to leap over traffic queues.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 01:01:36 »

From the Bristol Evening Post:

Bristol bridge to be closed to cars, vans and lorries

A bridge used by commuters and visitors to Bristol's harbourside is set to be closed to cars, vans and lorries.

Within four years the Prince Street Bridge, which spans the docks near the Arnolfini arts centre, will have one lane used by the proposed bendy buses from Long Ashton park and ride into the city centre, while the other will be restricted to pedestrians and cyclists.

One lane was closed earlier this year, which led to an outcry and fears of traffic jams in nearby streets, particularly at peak times.

It will also mean motorists will have a lengthy detour to reach Prince Street or car parking in The Grove or Queen Square.

But Bristol's transport leader Jon Rogers said the volume of traffic using the Grade II-listed bridge was "not high" and he does not believe that full closure will lead to traffic chaos. He said: "The levels of traffic using the bridge are not high and predictions of traffic chaos following a trial reduction in traffic did not turn out to be at all accurate. The chaos was in fact non-existent and I don't expect to hear that word connected with this bridge any more. Motorists are keen that we provide the kind of high-quality public transport that will tempt them out of their cars and well, this is it. It's time to bite the bullet. We're opening the bridge to a high-quality fast and efficient mode of public transport never seen before in Bristol. I am confident that many people who currently drive over the bridge will use it."

The bridge closure will be part of a Transport and Works Act Order to be submitted by Bristol and North Somerset councils early in the new year. The order will provide the legal consent to build the ^48 million first rapid transit route in Bristol, which is hoped to be up and running by 2013.

Transport experts looked at various ways to route the bendy buses over the docks, including building a new bridge. They also considered widening and strengthening Prince Street Bridge.

The council spent ^40,000 on alterations to the bridge to make it a one-lane system in January, with traffic lights controlling cars and cyclists.

The rapid transit is intended to provide an affordable, fast and reliable solution to Bristol's congestion.

Stops on the route would include Ashton Gate, the proposed site for Bristol City's stadium near Ashton Vale, Spike Island, the soon-to-be renovated Museum of Bristol, Cabot Circus, Broadmead and the Arnolfini.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 13:18:07 »

Does First have anything to do with this as if they do could Bristol be soonto sample the ftr they run in other cities?
Cruithne3753

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 17:04:26 »

Of course instead of these stupid wendy buses they could always rebuild Ashton Gate railway station which would give a link to Temple meads, then a cheap "BRT (Bus Rapid Transit)-lite" using conventional buses could then run from TM(resolve) up Victoria Street to central Bristol... but of course then they would miss out on the gratuitious fun of bulldozing through peoples gardens, green spaces etc. whilst squandering huge amounts of money in the process.

And as for FTR (Fitness To Run)... it looks like a giant purple people-eating maggot.  I WANT MY FUTURE BACK!

I'm almost tempted to buy a car in protest.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 17:14:42 by Cruithne3753 » Logged

Matt
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 17:27:17 »

Does a bendy bus have any advantages over a double decker?  Surely a bog standard double decker carries more passengers than a bendy bus anyway?

With regards to bemmy's comment about walking being faster than buses, this always seems true in Bristol.  I live in the Cotham/Redland area and find it is quicker to walk from Temple Meads than get the bus.  By the time I've waited for it to arrive, then load the passengers and make its way around the Station Approach, I'm already at the Waterfront area.  By the time the bus arrives at the Waterfront, I can be home, saving ^1.60 in the process.

Of course, I much prefer to jump on the Severn Beach Line service and hop off at Redland (for a bargain 75p with railcard or ~35p on an advance ticket) but the connection never fits for services from Portsmouth on the days I tend to travel. Sad

I'm surprised these consultants haven't suggested an underground system for Bristol?  But then that is "so last century".  Why have a tube train when you can have rapid transport systems.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 18:43:25 »

Bendy Buses carry far more people as far as I know!
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 22:34:43 »

Bendy Buses carry far more people as far as I know!

But have less seats!

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 18:44:09 »

From the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) press release:

Bristol is one step closer to benefitting from ^48m worth of improvements to its public transport system, Transport Minister Paul Clark announced today whilst visiting the city.

The plans, which have received initial Government approval, involve creating a new express bus service ^ called a Rapid Transit Route ^ from Long Ashton Park and Ride to Bristol Temple Meads and on to Cabot Circus, Broadmead and the Centre.  A significant part of the route would be on dedicated roads and bus lanes.

There are also plans to increase bus services on the Ashton Vale to Temple Meads route.

The aim of the scheme is to ease congestion and reduce journey times for commuters and it is part of a series of bus improvements planned in the West Country.

Transport Minister Paul Clark said:

^An efficient and reliable transport system is the lifeblood of every local community. This is why we^re investing significant amounts of money in Bristol's infrastructure. Today's announcement seeks to tackle congestion in the city, whilst presenting real alternatives to the car. The West of England is a prosperous area with a good standard of living and its reputation is growing internationally. So it is only right that it has a world class transport system to match."

Also included in proposals are:
^ parallel cycling lanes and routes for pedestrians between the Museum of Bristol and Long Ashton Park and Ride
^ additional bus services to provide faster journey times and improved reliability for services to Weston-super-Mare, Clevedon and Nailsea
^ ticket machines at bus stops and user-friendly electronic information displays

Today's decision means that Bristol City Council can move forward with detailed planning for the scheme.

The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 18:55:53 »

Doesn't say anything about the Portishead branch then. You might have thought that a railway line in situ to the town might be useful given that the A369 can resemble a car park at peak times, but clearly ^48m could be better spent elsewhere.  Roll Eyes

Having said that I'm not sure how much railway improvements ^48m would buy these days...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: