Delayed
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
20:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 22:03:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[76] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[56] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[25] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[9] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Fully booked to Cornwall  (Read 15357 times)
Cornish Traveller

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2009, 15:19:26 »

1st August Paddington - Penzance am trains now fully booked, anyone know if FGW (First Great Western) leave any unreserved seats for turn up go (need your head tested I know) people or is it a case of get on in Reading without seat reservation = hard luck ? 
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 15:22:06 »

Coach E unreserved, but, good luck all the same...
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 15:36:47 »

All fast trains are likely to be packed!

If you have a bit more flexibility/time:

1011 Reading - Bristol Parkway 1106 FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) (not too busy - ample seats in coach A when I travelled on recently)
1126 Bristol Parkway - Penzance 1550 XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HST (just over 6 standard class coaches)

Alternatively, (however by no means definitely) Weekend First should get you a seat.

Cornish Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 15:39:40 »

Glad we have reservations - just curious do they have boarding controls in place on very busy services out of Paddington these days ? or is it a case of if people physically fit into coaches they allow any amount to stand ?
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 15:44:50 »

Boarding controls only normally operate during events, but it has been known to have them when services are particularly busy.
Cornish Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 17:08:34 »

Shocked I am surprised to see seats are still available to book for the overnight service on Friday night though !
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 17:21:31 »

Alternatively, (however by no means definitely) Weekend First should get you a seat.
Was about to say boarding at Reading no chance until I suddenly remembered that its gone up to ^25 for weekend first to travel to Cornwall so its now probably now possible to get a seat in 1st at Reading.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 18:01:21 »

Funny you should say that, whilst travelling to London on the 0700 Bristol - Paddington the other week, I spotted the 0736 Paddington to Newquay at Reading, and people were stood up all through the isles of First Class. Nasty to say the least!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 19:04:21 »

Welcome to the Coffee Shop, Cornish Traveller...  Smiley
Cornish Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 19:41:21 »

Funny you should say that, whilst travelling to London on the 0700 Bristol - Paddington the other week, I spotted the 0736 Paddington to Newquay at Reading, and people were stood up all through the isles of First Class. Nasty to say the least!
Thats interesting, that train still has Advance ticket for ^34 available on Saturday at the mo. - was there an event on in the west that day perhaps ?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 19:50:26 »

Thats interesting, that train still has Advance ticket for ^34 available on Saturday at the mo. - was there an event on in the west that day perhaps ?
I believe the London-Newquays are always very busy simply because of it's destination.
Cornish Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 20:07:59 »

Seem to remember reading somewhere that FGW (First Great Western) management were very shocked at how good the passenger numbers were when summer weekday through HST (High Speed Train) workings first introduced ? BR (British Rail(ways)) learnt this lesson about travellers with suitcases not liking changing trains 40 years ago !  Angry Seems Dft have not however with the ending of SouthWest Trains through working to Paignton soon.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 20:12:21 »

Seems Dft have not however with the ending of SouthWest Trains through working to Paignton soon.
Bad decision that IMHO (in my humble opinion)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 20:24:53 »

Seems Dft have not however with the ending of SouthWest Trains through working to Paignton soon.
Bad decision that IMHO (in my humble opinion)

Naturally, I agree. Its always nice to return from Exeter on a respectable train!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 20:30:45 »

1135 Paddington - Newquay certainly wasn't fully reserved. Only 150 people offloaded when 43132 broke at Par and was subsequently dumped in the down sidings.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: