07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:30:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to FGW complimentary service?  (Read 30835 times)
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 02, 2009, 17:06:52 »

Currently on my way back to London on the 15:35 from Newton Abbot, and have had a bit of a bad experience unfortunately.

I went to the buffet car between NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) & EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) and asked for a Diet Coke and a still water - I was given both but upon presenting my First Class ticket (not a Weekend First upgrade) I rather briskly had the Diet Coke taken away from me and replaced with another bottle of water.

I felt a bit annoyed at the rather rude service I had received from the member of staff, so when the train manager came round a little while ago I complained. He assured me that the member of staff was a nice person but was under a lot of pressure as it's a busy train, he also exxplained to me that Diet Cokes were no longer part of the complimentary service and it was fruit juices instead, but I wasn't even given the option to pay for the Diet Coke by the member of catering staff.

Have I been told the correct information? If so, when did this change come into force, seems a bit silly to me.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 17:38:41 by James Vertigan » Logged
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 17:11:01 »

It's correct. FGW (First Great Western)'s First Class is woeful when compared to other TOCs (Train Operating Company)!

e.g. Virgin where you get free alc, soft drinks, hot drinks, cold meal or hot meal (depedning on time of day), Wifi, newspsper, guaranteed 2+1 seating, free headphones for onboard radio system.

I would go standard in future.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 17:11:44 »

Weekends:

Water, hot chocolate, tea and coffee and biscuits only.

Much better selection on weekdays (but not coke)

I'd ignore btlines advice and stay in First. Its a much nicer environment.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 17:14:16 »

It's correct. FGW (First Great Western)'s First Class is woeful when compared to other TOCs (Train Operating Company)!

e.g. Virgin where you get free alc, soft drinks, hot drinks, cold meal or hot meal (depedning on time of day), Wifi, newspsper, guaranteed 2+1 seating, free headphones for onboard radio system.

I would go standard in future.
Virgin's offering is all part of the cost of the ticket and in their franchise agreement I believe. I would be surprised if you still get that level of service once the new franchise starts in a few years time whoever wins it. Hope I'm wrong though.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 17:19:01 »

True, it's a better environment. But is getting a leather seat worth the (high) cost? If you want a guaranteed seat and a relaxing environment, go First. If you want freebies, don't.

Virgin's offering is all part of the cost of the ticket...

NB: I can get a Virgin First Class ticket for cheaper than standard class return on FGW (First Great Western). Wink But yes, that's my area, fair enough. Grin
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 17:23:16 »

True, it's a better environment. But is getting a leather seat worth the (high) cost? If you want a guaranteed seat and a relaxing environment, go First. If you want freebies, don't.

Virgin's offering is all part of the cost of the ticket...

NB: I can get a Virgin First Class ticket for cheaper than standard class return on FGW (First Great Western). Wink But yes, that's my area, fair enough. Grin

And for regular travellers in the west midlands, virgins first season tickets are usually priced around the same as a FGW first season into london - and they are every half hour and much quicker!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 17:25:53 »

Don't you mean every 20 minutes? Wink
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 17:30:01 »

I only go First Class when I book early and can get a reasonable price ticket - and particularly when I know standard will be packed!

FC(resolve) is also very good for the leg room, and more room for the netbook!

I could've sworn that I was offered soft drinks (cans) on both my journeys into and out of London in FC in the last month though (apart from this one).

Next thing you'll know they'll stop you taking your own food on the train, even stuff you've bought at an FGW (First Great Western) station!

(Oh, and you are right about the wi-fi, taken me ages to post this travelling through Berkshire on a GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) signal!)
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 18:56:49 »

Have you tried SWT (South West Trains) ?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 19:59:49 »

Have you tried SWT (South West Trains) ?

or NXEA (National Express East Anglia)?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 21:13:23 »

Currently on my way back to London on the 15:35 from Newton Abbot, and have had a bit of a bad experience unfortunately.

I went to the buffet car between NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) & EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) and asked for a Diet Coke and a still water - I was given both but upon presenting my First Class ticket (not a Weekend First upgrade) I rather briskly had the Diet Coke taken away from me and replaced with another bottle of water.

I felt a bit annoyed at the rather rude service I had received from the member of staff, so when the train manager came round a little while ago I complained. He assured me that the member of staff was a nice person but was under a lot of pressure as it's a busy train, he also exxplained to me that Diet Cokes were no longer part of the complimentary service and it was fruit juices instead, but I wasn't even given the option to pay for the Diet Coke by the member of catering staff.

Have I been told the correct information? If so, when did this change come into force, seems a bit silly to me.
Your meant to show your first class ticket before ordering comps at the buffet, they usually announce this.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 00:06:46 »

Your meant to show your first class ticket before ordering comps at the buffet, they usually announce this.

The wholse point is - the lack of decent soft drinks is ludicrous

as I understand it - the cans were removed because of small numbers of people who were pocketing 6-8 numerous cans on a trip to take with them

Simple answer

Customer host pops them before giving them out

Why throw the baby out with the bath water

I do not drink coffee or tea - and im on a diet - so the only option FREE is water

What is wrong with free pop - even if its out of a bottle and poured like the OJ

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
r james

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 00:28:47 »

So do people expect that the virgin offer will really drop after this franchise ends? Assuming virign get it again?
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 00:44:32 »

I do not drink coffee or tea - and im on a diet - so the only option FREE is water

What's stopping you buying something?

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 01:48:48 »

The wholse point is - the lack of decent soft drinks is ludicrous

as I understand it - the cans were removed because of small numbers of people who were pocketing 6-8 numerous cans on a trip to take with them

Simple answer

Customer host pops them before giving them out

Why throw the baby out with the bath water

What is wrong with free pop - even if its out of a bottle and poured like the OJ

If you want it that badly then pay for it (like everybody else does), and if you can justify it, put the expenses claim in.  What's a weight loss diet got to do with anything? Even if it's a special medical diet, you'll be hard pushed to find anything in railway by-laws, franchise agreements, anti-discrimination legislation, the European Convention on Human Rights or the Geneva Convention that says that the TOC (Train Operating Company) has to take this into account when selecting refreshments to offer their customers!

Fallenangel, you don't seem to grasp the concept that they are complementary refreshments, given as a courtesy to passengers travelling in First Class. What you've paid for is a journey, with a seat in the First Class section of the train, and the improved environment this may offer. If anybody says that they are travelling in First Class just so they can receive the complementary items, it's like saying you fly to New York every day as it's one way to get a lunch and some peanuts.

If the TOC's were reducing the personal space by adding in 20 more seats per carriage, or reducing the number of seats available by taking off a 1st class carriage, then I'd understand the moaning.  Roll Eyes

ps. I'm hacked off the complementary diet coke is gone as well - but guess what, it's not the end of the world, if I want one, I pay for it - and I'm not on ^520 a day.

edited to add - Sod! I've bitten again!

Edited again to add - Sorry James, they should have been served with more grace than they were to you.

The items may well be complimentary, however they are still budgeted for, and paid for from 1st class revenues. They sure as hell ain't complimentary to First Great Western. FGW (First Great Western) have to pay for them. Removing the fizzy pop is therefore a cost cutting exercise. I note there are also no sandwiches provided in the first class lounge at Paddington any longer. Bristol Temple Meads no longer has a first class lounge. (Cardiff only kept it's lounge so as not to upset Welsh politicians). There is also no longer complimentary wine on Friday evenings. So all this has resulted in a saving to FGW. Has that saving been passed on the the 1st class passenger, has it hell!
I'm with FallenAngel on this one. There is a steady erosion of 1st class as a distinct product, all in the name of cost cutting. I only travel 1st class on a few occasions per year and it is getting less worth the extra each time I travel. Offering the extras is part of the enticement of paying for a first class ticket; downgrading the product without passing on any saving to the passenger just means less people willing to pay the extra; meaning less passengers in first class; meaning less staff needed.....a slow downward spiral that will ultimately lead to redundancies and a single class inter-city train service.
Oh and how much someone earns a day is irrelevent, that was just a cheap shot, flamingo. And invoking all that tosh about human rights.....come on already!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: