Delayed
14:02 Westbury to Gloucester
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 15:35:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: HS2 - Government proposals, alternative routes and general discussion  (Read 399593 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2010, 11:07:31 »

If the Tories push through the going via Heathrow option, it will make the journey time reductions much less impressive. With a bit of investment, Euston to New Street could be got down to 1 hour - which is fine. If HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) goes via heathrow, I can't see times less than 50 minutes working. (when you consider that the preferred route will take 45 minutes)
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2010, 11:14:05 »

Mr Wolmar, on the same Today programme, suggested that a serious rethink of the route, presumably by a new administration, would set the project back 4-5 years, just in time for, err, for the next election.
It ain't going to happen...where are all these 20000 pax per hour London-Birmingham going to come from, and more importantly why?
Far better value for money to continue with new hubs and let millions more benefit from the shrinking purse. The UK (United Kingdom) is not Spain, France, USA, Oz and now even Morocco...all big empty countries with I imagine no organised nimbyism. Grin  
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2010, 13:25:56 »

The UK (United Kingdom) quite simply doesn't need a High Speed line. It will benefit only a fraction of people, now lets get some new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) ordered helping to alleviate overcrowding across the whole country.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2010, 13:30:52 »

The UK (United Kingdom) quite simply doesn't need a High Speed line. It will benefit only a fraction of people, now lets get some new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) ordered helping to alleviate overcrowding across the whole country.

I'm tempted to agree despite the mouth watering journey times. BUT the WCML (West Coast Main Line) needs more capacity. So add a 5th or 6th track as far as Rugby and spend the rest of the money on DMUs, electrification.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2010, 14:54:20 »

I'm tempted to agree despite the mouth watering journey times. BUT the WCML (West Coast Main Line) needs more capacity. So add a 5th or 6th track as far as Rugby and spend the rest of the money on DMUs, electrification.

But does it? I've not heard any stories of the 3tph being overcrowded. Instant capacity relief would be installation of ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.) cab signalling.
Deltic

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2010, 15:31:01 »

I'm disappointed to find such a lack of enthusiasm for high-speed rail in the coffee shop.  Sad

Adding additional lines to existing infrastructure is needed in certain areas (e.g. Swindon - Kemble, Oxford - Worcester) but it is disruptive to the existing service (witness the WCML (West Coast Main Line) upgrade) and difficult to achieve really high speed when traffic is mixed and there are lots of junctions.

I believe that the delay in starting construction is damaging the British economy or our environment and probably both.  There is at least political consensus that it is needed, years after the French have already completed a comprehensive network of high speed routes.  What is lacking is consensus over the route and this needs to be sorted out before we can move on.  But many of our main lines are operating near to capacity, our motorways are also full and we don't want to encourage more short haul air travel.

We need to free up capacity on our existing lines to provide reasonable services to smaller towns, such as Melksham! Cheesy
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2010, 15:57:29 »

The Newsnight item is available on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) iPlayer until 2259 26/02/10.

http://bbc.co.uk/i/qxfy5

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chafford1

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2010, 16:58:26 »

An unusually easy ride given to Andrew Adonis by Paxo, perhaps time constraints didn't allow him to push the point about how much HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) is expected to cost. Paxo could also have pressed him further on the favoured route(s) contained in the report which Andrew Adonis is currently sitting on.

I didn't see the report but I am sorry to read this analysis.  For those like me who grew up with a downtrodden railway recovering from Beeching, all talk of High Speed Rail brings out wild enthusiasm.

My guess is that the preferred route is the old GWR (Great Western Railway) main line to Birmingham, re-instating four tracking through most of the route.

There is a train on most days from Paddington that takes this route (11 00 or so Princes Risborough).  Take the train and see the potential.   

I'm sorry to see that, having supposedly backed High Speed Rail, the Conservatives seem now to be having cold feet.

Not a good sign for the future.  And there I will leave politics......

HS2 would be a completely separate line from the Chiltern Mainline. However, there may be some mileage in developing this line further (Evergreen 4?) as a cheap alternative to HS2 if money were scarce - i.e reinstatement of passing loops, 4 tracking from Dorridge to Birmingham Moor Street, running fast services into Paddington rather than Marylebone once Crossrail releases platforms at Paddington, electrification, longer platforms etc.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2010, 17:50:14 »

I'm disappointed to find such a lack of enthusiasm for high-speed rail in the coffee shop.  Sad

I'm not sure if higher speed or higher frequency are the best service and investment for the future. If I'm hanging around at Salisbury for 40 minutes for a train to Trowbridge - journey time 32 minutes - how would I like my 72 minutes elapsed time cut? Would I prefer a service every 30 minutes rather than at sixty minute intervals, or a journey time that's cut from 32 minutes to 22?  The heart says "make it faster", the head says "make it more frequent", and will continue to do so until the frequency of the services is at least a half of the journey reduction.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Deltic

View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2010, 21:27:27 »

I think that my point is that high speed rail would release capacity on the "classic" lines to provide more frequent services to existing stations.  Part of the difficulty in re-establishing a decent service to Melksham is that the trains must compete for space between Wootton Bassett and Swindon with four HSTs (High Speed Train) per hour in each direction.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2010, 23:55:42 »

Listened to Theresa Villiers this am didn't understand a word except they (the Tories) are not going to look at the report until it's published.

Can anyone explain why?
No matter what route is take north west out of London it will carve it's way through Tory heartlands, for instance if the old GWR (Great Western Railway)/GCR» (Gloucester - next trains) route is used this will cut its way through some very blue areas which are areas where the likes of UKIP could put up a strong challenge also some of the inner London parts BNP (Barnstaple) might get a foot hold.

The Tory's have never liked the railways which is made even worse by the failure of their privatisation model of Railtrack and the myriad of competing TOC (Train Operating Company)'s and maintenance contractors
Ditto
My fear is that any future HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) project will be at the expense of improvements to the classic rail routes (ie Great Western).All this against a backdrop of tough financial decisions that will soon have to be made by government either Labour or conservative.Certainly under the conservatives the principal that rich get richer and the poor get poorer has been clear to see at work since rail privatisation which is why FGW (First Great Western) is still running refurbished 33year old HSTs (High Speed Train) on its main lines and pacers on overcrowded local services.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2010, 00:18:12 »

I think that my point is that high speed rail would release capacity on the "classic" lines to provide more frequent services to existing stations.  Part of the difficulty in re-establishing a decent service to Melksham is that the trains must compete for space between Wootton Bassett and Swindon with four HSTs (High Speed Train) per hour in each direction.

But HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) won't really. The Watford - Dudley, Milton Keynes - Birmingham and Rugby - Wolverhampton flows will still have to use the WCML (West Coast Main Line), along with any services that stop south of Rugby.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2010, 06:36:12 »

I think the huge amount of money needed for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) could be spent country wide on improving services that suffer continous overcrowding by providing new and longer rolling stock. HS2 would benefit the few and not the many.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2010, 10:36:58 »

HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) would benefit the few and not the many.

Surprised the Tories aren't fully behind it then! Grin
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2010, 11:17:20 »

I think the huge amount of money needed for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) could be spent country wide on improving services that suffer continous overcrowding by providing new and longer rolling stock. HS2 would benefit the few and not the many.

Make that man Minister for Transport !!!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: