Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:29:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good luck Driver Potter!  (Read 3787 times)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2009, 04:06:57 »

OK, so I'm slightly late on the uptake with this one (although, in my defence, it is still 2306 where I'm posting from so technically the right date) but good luck to Driver Potter...I believe today was the day!

http://wimbledonparkdepot.spaces.live.com/
Driver Potter

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 19:46:41 »

Most kind, old boy.
Most kind.

Any loud digestive sounds of a nervous nature heard in West London for the next four days can safely be put down to yours truly....
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 21:24:51 »

I've been following the blog with both interest and admiration as well, and would like to add my best regards and good luck wishes.

Keep us posted, Driver Potter Sir!
Driver Potter

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 10:42:35 »

As of Friday 14th August 2009, Driver Potter is a qualified driver.

Time to start going by bus, folks.

Although you lot on Great Western as safe - unless you change trains at Reading...
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 11:30:11 »

Congratulations!

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 11:58:02 »

Time to start going by bus, folks.

Although you lot on Great Western as safe - unless you change trains at Reading...

oo eck! Yer not drivin 4JOPs RDG(resolve)-WAT are ya? I regularly visit a friend in Bracknell....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 14:12:17 »

Bet you miss the 4VEP though  Cry
Driver Potter

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 19:23:37 »

We'll get the Old Lady back home....
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 20:52:22 »

Well done, Driver Potter!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 19:33:20 »

Congratulations!
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 03:01:05 »

Is Driver Potter also the admin of a particular facebook group under a different name (not mentioned to protect the innocent!).

Just wondering!
Driver Potter

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 19:16:20 »

Is Driver Potter also the admin of a particular facebook group under a different name (not mentioned to protect the innocent!).

Just wondering!

Go on - spill the beans?!
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 14:39:09 »

Just wondering!

Hehe, nope, might not be you!

Go on - spill the beans?!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 14:58:42 »

Congratulations to Driver Potter, who drove his first service train (on his own!) on Friday.

http://wimbledonparkdepot.spaces.live.com/blog/

Well done!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 17:30:58 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 21:18:27 »

Driver Potter is back blogging again. I'm rather annoyed that I didn't discover this fact much sooner, as he appears to have been at it again since last November.

If you need a smile putting on your face, then you can do much worse than read his blog. I've just been reading entries from back in November to the present day. Cheered me up no end.  Particularly this excerpt from a blog post of November 8th a few days after a concrete mixer fell on a SWT (South West Trains) Class 455:

The consensus amongst staff at SWT seems to be that we were bloody lucky; everyone walked (or in a few cases were carried) away with their lives. The train involved, 455 913, is, I^m afraid, fit only for recycling as soup cans and razor blades but it stood up to having 25 tons dropped on it rather well (very well, in fact, given that it^s 30 years old ^ well done, BR (British Rail(ways))). Everyone got out, even the lorry driver survived and the line is re-open for business. As with all things of this nature it could have been so much worse; it could have been a fast train, it could have been the rush-hour^ We got away with it. The rolling stock stood up to something it was never designed for (only a rolling stock designer on bad  Acid designs his trains to withstand impacts from kamikaze construction lorries), everyone got off the train in one piece and the poor sod driving the lorry survived. Besides everyone on board buying a winning lottery ticket on the same day, and each finding a case full of unmarked ^50 notes on the trackside, and being offered the kiss of life by Nigella Lawson whilst she^s coated in molten chocolate, I can^t see how much fortunate we could have been. Of course with relief comes the usual rash of railway jokes. I will not repeat any of them on here, but I will say that the rumours about SWT re-naming the 15.05 Guildford to Waterloo service as ^The Flying Concrete Mixer^ are entirely false. So too are the stories about the 15.05 being required to carry a breeze block on the front lamp bracket from now on.

Grin Grin Grin

The Further Wibblings of Driver H. Potter.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: