Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:59:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with car parking at Liskeard since charges were introduced by FGW  (Read 18556 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 23:10:05 »

I don't like the way that station car parks are treated as not just for rail users.

Non travellers or those not pre-booking should continue to pay similar rates to those currently charged if not higher.

In my opinion, if Rail Cornwall's idea was taken up, I would expect the "non travellers' " rate to be sky high to stop shoppers clogging up spaces.

But there should be several free 20 mins max spaces, to allow people to see off/ collect and use the ticket office.

But then there is the WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) loophole!

If you park in a 20 minute space - you dont get a ticket

Ever

Not once in two years! (sorry flamingo - another I know its wrong but,,,,,,,,,,)

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 23:17:39 »

Permit to park machines, time and date stamped would resolve that issue, or simply get the normal parking machine to issue tickets valid for 30 mins FOC (Freight Operating Company).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 23:18:36 »

I don't like the way that station car parks are treated as not just for rail users.

Non travellers or those not pre-booking should continue to pay similar rates to those currently charged if not higher.

In my opinion, if Rail Cornwall's idea was taken up, I would expect the "non travellers' " rate to be sky high to stop shoppers clogging up spaces.

But there should be several free 20 mins max spaces, to allow people to see off/ collect and use the ticket office.

Ever

Not once in two years! (sorry flamingo - another I know its wrong but,,,,,,,,,,)

"I know it's wrong but....." is no excuse. Try using that defence in court and see how far you get Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 23:22:07 »

Fraud is fraud Smiley
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 23:27:44 »

Ever

"I know it's wrong but....." is no excuse. Try using that defence in court and see how far you get Wink

I would not

if I ever got a ticket id just pay it

never have

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 23:33:51 »

Ever

I would not

if I ever got a ticket id just pay it

never have

Society dictates that we have rules, and the expectation is that these rules are obeyed. Bending (or breaking) them just creates animosity, or a belief that if one person can get away with it, we all can.

And we all know where we'd be without rules, don't we? (Any Al Murray fans - please feel free to add the appropriate rejoinder.....)

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 23:35:16 »

France! Grin

And if we had too many rules, where would we be...?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 23:37:04 »

Mussolini's Italy?  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 23:41:26 »

France! Grin

And if we had too many rules, where would we be...?

Germany  Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 23:47:14 »

And if we had rules dictating that all Cotswold village stations should be axed?

Yes - Worcester! Grin Tongue
willc

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 00:32:40 »

I would doubt very much that a ^2 per day charge for parking at the station on top of the fare would be any deterrent to the genuine travelling FGW (First Great Western) customer.

You doubt it, do you? Well we Brits love a bargain - and love something free even better, so of course they won't pay ^2 if they don't have to.

After Thames Trains started to charge at Moreton-in-Marsh, lots of people just started to park their cars in parts of the High Street and a couple of other roads near to the station, where there are no time restrictions, a situation which persists to this day because the town and county councils seem unable to ever agree on a policy on waiting limits covering the various bits of the roads they are each responsible for. Great for the commuters, not so great for the shoppers and tourists the town depends on for a living who can't find a space.

In Charlbury post-introduction of charging, lots of extra yellow lines were painted along the roads around the station because people just started to park in them all day, rather than cough up a pound or two.

Same problem happens around Bicester North station and has done for years, despite an ever-expanding, now part double-deck car park. There's no need to ask the drivers - you just ask the people who live in the streets affected - as the papers I work for did when the Bicester issue first blew up. They were pretty well placed to spot an influx of cars in the early morning, which all disappeared again by the early evening.

The reason Reading costs a tenner and Oxford station car park is Ring Go-only is because some people worked out that the railways were providing the cheapest all-day parking in town - it took a while longer for the railways to work it out.

Ho, ho, very satirical btline, but if they were shut, then you would be enjoying a journey via Stroud - if you were lucky - remember, we pay the bills, not people from Worcester.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 00:42:19 »

And if we had rules dictating that all Cotswold village stations should be axed?

Yes - Worcester! Grin Tongue

Come back Dr Beeching, all is forgiven Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 10:51:05 »

There's an item on the Cornwall Council news pages about the Liskeard parking situation.
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 11:28:44 »

There should be discounted parking available for travellers. I'm not suggesting free, although it would be a good gesture, Simply issue these car parking tickets when booking, which could be left in the car for the duration of the journey, say at ^1.50 per day or part of a day or ^7 per week.

It is possible to get parking at Liskeard station for ^1.70 a day by using the Ringgo system, which is better than ^2 a day but I agree ^1.50 a day, ^7.50 a week, would be better. When comparing to other FGW (First Great Western) stations in Cornwall. Liskeard and Bodmin Parkway get quite a good deal. For example Newquay station is ^7.20 a day and Looe is ^4.40 a day in the summer.

If you are looking at longer duration parking permits for example a month, there are inconsistencies between the daily charge and monthly charges in Cornwall. For example a monthly permit at Liskeard is ^37.50 with a daily charge of ^2.00. Now if you take St Austell the daily charge is ^2.20 and the monthly permit costs ^34.00. I think FGW and APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) need to sort out the inconsistencies in parking charges at the train stations.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:35:16 by Chris2 » Logged
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 11:32:24 »

All station car parks should be free for rail users. We pay enough in fares.

sorry does not make sense any more than saying "all buses and taxis to stations should be free for rail users we pay enough in fares"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: