Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:12 Reading to Newbury
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 11:48:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with car parking at Liskeard since charges were introduced by FGW  (Read 18558 times)
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 11:36:52 »

France! Grin

And if we had too many rules, where would we be...?

Germany  Grin

A few years ago I was discussing the differences between Germany and the UK (United Kingdom) with a German work colleague.

He summed it up quite well: "In England everything is allowed, unless it is forbidden. In Germany everything is forbidden, unless it is allowed".
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 11:40:42 »

The Ringgo and similar systems put people off. The 'old' system where you bought your parking ticket over the ticket counter was far superior. The complete travel purchase should be done in one simple transaction it improves 'the experience'. The systems for online purchase should have included parking and other addons such as PlusBus (and ALL railcards too for that matter - but that's OffTopic) from the start. I agree the machines should be there for casual purchase but their use should NOT be the prime means of payment for parking.

Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 12:17:12 »

The Ringgo and similar systems put people off.

I completely agree with this statement I only use the Ringgo system as it saves me money.
The complete travel purchase should be done in one simple transaction it improves 'the experience'. The systems for online purchase should have included parking and other addons such as PlusBus (and ALL railcards too for that matter - but that's OffTopic) from the start.

The FGW (First Great Western) website already offers the facility to buy season tickets, it would not be to much of an inconvenience to add an option for an appropriate car park permit for the length of the season ticket.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 14:31:19 »

I don't like the way that station car parks are treated as not just for rail users.

Non travellers or those not pre-booking should continue to pay similar rates to those currently charged if not higher.

In my opinion, if Rail Cornwall's idea was taken up, I would expect the "non travellers' " rate to be sky high to stop shoppers clogging up spaces.

But there should be several free 20 mins max spaces, to allow people to see off/ collect and use the ticket office.

But then there is the WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) loophole!

If you park in a 20 minute space - you dont get a ticket

Ever

Not once in two years! (sorry flamingo - another I know its wrong but,,,,,,,,,,)

Well, to be honest, I'm surprised you don't use the disabled space (or is that your fallback?  Roll Eyes ).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7678953.stm

(Before you complain mods, she asked for my opinion, I gave it)

I dont think I did ask for it but you are welcome to offer it .........

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 14:55:31 »

Ok, perhaps there would be loopholes.

But for season ticket holders, and those paying more than, say, ^10 in a rail fare, then the parking should be free.

I feel that TOCs (Train Operating Company) are hiking parking charges as they can't raise regulated fares that much.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 15:23:20 »

For example Newquay station is ^7.20 a day

Are you joking!!!!!
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 15:47:20 »

Are you joking!!!!!

I wish I was I got the price from the FGW (First Great Western) website.
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=2329
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2009, 16:42:51 »

I don't like the way that station car parks are treated as not just for rail users.

Non travellers or those not pre-booking should continue to pay similar rates to those currently charged if not higher.

In my opinion, if Rail Cornwall's idea was taken up, I would expect the "non travellers' " rate to be sky high to stop shoppers clogging up spaces.

But there should be several free 20 mins max spaces, to allow people to see off/ collect and use the ticket office.

But then there is the WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) loophole!

If you park in a 20 minute space - you dont get a ticket

Ever

Not once in two years! (sorry flamingo - another I know its wrong but,,,,,,,,,,)

You presumably wouldn't travel on a train or bus for a whole two years just because noone bothered to check your ticket and you could get away with it.  Whilst I personally don't think ticketless travel is the worst crime in the world I think that there is general agreement on this forum that it is wrong both morally and criminally. 

So many people seem to have a different moral perspective when they are in a car.  I am not sure why but there is even the idea that "traffic offenses" (speeding etc which is probably the most dangerous and selfish thing that most ordinary decent people do on a regular basis) are not even proper crimes

old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 16:43:46 »

Are you joking!!!!!
I wish I was I got the price from the FGW (First Great Western) website.
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=2329
The thing with Newquay car park is that it's only about 30 spaces and slap bang in the middle of town. Because of the actual train service (don't forget it's at the end of a branch line) very few passengers use it, it's mainly used for short term by local shoppers so the "market forces" come into play and the charges levied are similar for other car parks in Newquay.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2009, 16:55:20 »

oh and by the way , whilst I was in Truro a week or so ago getting info on the fares, I was also told that the car parking charges were being "reviewed". Truro currently at ^2.80/day all day, will be going upto ^3.60 before 10.00 but after 10.00 it will going down be ^1.80

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Cornish Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2009, 19:35:20 »

I remember in Norwich, there was a manned multi-story car-park next to the station, if you got your car=park pass stamed in the station (on production of a valid ticket), then you got a reduction on the parking rate.
and you still do today ............
Price to park in St Ives station these days ?
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2009, 20:36:30 »

If however the car park fee makes the use of the train non-competitive, it negates the 'green advantage' of using Public Transport. There's absolutely NO WAY that car parking fees should exceed the PlusBus add on for the station involved for any traveller using the rail service.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2009, 20:47:21 »

I find it hard to believe that people are shocked to pay!

The amount of people who ask where the pay & display machines are at where I work is phenomenal Wink
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2009, 22:35:05 »

ok - I always used to get a ticket every time I parked

Then London Midland an meteor parking took over.........

At the machine you can only get daily

You can buy a scratch card for random journeys or  weekly/monthly season

But if you want a season you have to do it on line and register your vehicle registration - but you can only register two (when I first took umbridge it was one)

I can and do drive anyone of four vehicles.  When I phoned and asked how I dealt with this - they said "we promote green transport so we do not see the need for for registrations" - no - fatuous - I cant drive more than one at a time - it just depends on circumtances if me and family which one I drive each day - I just want the old ticket that can be put in the window of whatever heap of metal I am in. 

THAT is when I started the short stay thing as the only result is overpriced daily or scratch card since I cant use a monthly!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2009, 00:04:36 »

Sorry, I don't see why regular travellers who already pay sky high fares should have to fork out extra for parking. Many people have to drive to the station.

Supermarkets don't charge! Wink We pay for shopping.

As for, "people will just park and buy a single to the next stop" - have a ^10 minimum fare to validate your parking! (similar to supermarkets who do this to stop people buying a mars bar to validate a free days parking! Tongue )

And I'll explain the "green idea" to you. Each day, the train service runs (hopefully!) giving off X tons of CO2. I can either drive to work, releasing an addtional Y tons or take the train, releasing none. In fact I reduce emissions, as there will be slightly less congestion.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: