Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:06:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[166] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[82] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[26] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Branch line passenger numbers on the up  (Read 10978 times)
John R

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2009, 20:14:02 »

Noticed that the latest Customer Panel minutes from July show strong increases on the Devon and Cornwall branches this year:-

St Ives: 36%
Falmouth: 20% (and most of this will be before the new service)
Newquay: 61%
Looe: 48%
Gunnislake: 20%
Barny: 15%
Exmouth: 10%

and further north, Severn Beach: 35% since the frequency enhancement last May.

By the way, I assumed that this year refers to the calendar year, not since the start of period 1 but it's not obvious which is meant.

Does anyone have a view on how summer holiday traffic is holding up on the branches, particularly given the summer so far has not been very helpful for branches that end at a beach resort?     
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 20:29:49 »

Do you have figures for TransWilts (scientific control), with no improvements?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 20:44:55 »

I can't speak for the Cornish branches, but the Severn Beach passenger numbers may have something to do with the increased staffing on many services. With 2 conductors (one for doors, one for tickets) on most peak time trains, more tickets are being sold, resulting in a more accurate picture of the loadings. It is rare for me these days to travel from Clifton Down to Montpelier/Stapleton Road/Lawrence Hill (in the past an almost guaranteed free journey) without seeing nearly all pax being ticketed. The instances of me getting from Shirehampton to Clifton and beyond without the opportunity to pay my fare (AND I'm honest these days - paying for a return even if not ticketed on the outward journey) have almost dwindled to zero.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 20:56:20 »

Do you have figures for TransWilts (scientific control), with no improvements?

Curiously enough, loadings on that particular service were not mentioned in the Customer Panels, so the only figures available are the previous year's footfall (which are distorted by the fare anomaly that existed at the time).
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 23:57:34 »

My experience on Falmouth over the past month has been for extreme variances in loading during the day, some services have been skeletal others upwards of 70% full. As has been commented in another thread use between FAL - FMT - PNM - PYN does seem to be increasing considerably, a significant number of these journies especially in the up Direction are not being ticketed (and documented) as the operation of the doors and start of journey ticket issuing and checking for all passengers takes more time than the available 11 minutes between the four stations.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 10:35:34 »

Those figures quoted at the Customer Panel are ones I put together from those supplied by First Great Western.  They are calendar year ones.  This is so we can continue comparing like with like from Wessex Trains days, as National Express did everything by calendar years.

Thanks to them and FGW (First Great Western) keeping it going, I've got figures for each four week period back to the beginning of 2001.  The Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter), Atlantic Coast, Maritime and St Ives Bay Lines (Barnstaple, Newquay, Falmouth and St Ives) are all just about twice as busy this year as they were in 2001.

The key peak Summer four week period has just ended so we should find out in a couple of weeks or so how things have gone.  I can tell you we have had full and standing trains on the Looe Valley Line this year (the 11 15 ex Liskeard last Wednesday and Thursday, for example) - that's with a Cl150 and didn't happen last year or the year before.

With the Maritime Line, the more than doubling of the train service will inevitably mean than some trains will be pretty quiet.  The figures for the last period (effectively July), second full period of the improved service, showed a 27.1% rise on last year - and extra 6554 journeys. 

Richard Burningham,
Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership 
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 18:07:44 »

Maritime would have increased with the Tall Ships adding a fair bit but still.....

Packed and standing on the St Ives a few days ago on a hot sunny day. I think people are understanding that leaving the car at Lelant is better than hunting for a space in St. Ives and then having to walk all the way back up the hill on the way back!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 18:35:42 »

Thanks, RichardB - It's interesting to hear how well trains in the far reaches of the network are getting on - an area which I hardly ever get the chance to visit unfortunately!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 21:46:37 »

Thanks for the info Richard. It's good to hear of such a success story. When I visited Looe for a week in 2006 a 153 was jammed so for a 150 to be full and standing is very encouraging. What happens when 2 cars aren't enough in the summer period?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 22:58:16 »

Service cancelled or coaches layed on
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 15:19:38 »

Rob - Tall Ships was last September.   It will be interesting to see if the loadings on the improved service this September beat the much bigger than usual numbers seen for Tall Ships (8k extra journeys in that late Aug/Sept period in 2008 compared to 2007 - 30,850 is the figure to beat!). 

On the St Ives Bay Line, in two years time, all being well, the park and ride should have moved to St Erth with the opening of a 600 space car park there and other improvements in a scheme led by Cornwall Council. 

The peak Summer Cl150 on the Looe Valley Line is the result of a lot of lobbying and FGW (First Great Western) taking this on board.  When Wales and West was split, there weren't enough Cl150s retained in what became Wessex Trains to put a Cl 150 on the Looe Valley Line on any weekday, even in August, with the outcome that John R mentioned.  FGW were able to change this and we've had a Cl 150 in July and August since 2007.

The two coaches are almost always just about OK - I don't think buses have been needed since the Cl 150 was brought in, but they certainly were from time to time when we only had a Cl153.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 18:57:10 »

On the St Ives Bay Line, in two years time, all being well, the park and ride should have moved to St Erth with the opening of a 600 space car park there and other improvements in a scheme led by Cornwall Council. 

Richard

What will this mean for the existing P&R (Park and Ride) site and station? And if the new site has more car capacity, will that just result in even more crammed trains (or are 4 coaches enough).
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 21:51:26 »

Richard

What will this mean for the existing P&R (Park and Ride) site and station? And if the new site has more car capacity, will that just result in even more crammed trains (or are 4 coaches enough).
Hopefully the Saltings will become a "parly" station and basicly disused so that Carbis bay can then have a half hourly frequency which is much needed!
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 21:54:41 »

John,

I understand the plan is to keep Lelant Saltings as a possible future back up.  As Vacman has just said, the station would have a "Parliamentary" service.  The move to St Erth will also mean that all trains will be able to call at Carbis Bay (and I'm sure this will happen - passenger counts have shown a big increase in the number of Carbis Bay - St Ives journeys over the last few years) and I would expect Lelant to get an hourly request stop service.

Part of the St Erth scheme is moving to five coach trains in the high peak period.  

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 22:31:33 »

Why not axe Lelant? It's near enough Lelant saltings.

Then you've got plenty of parking!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: