Delayed
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 16:44:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[88] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[57] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[46] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[44] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[33] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Greyhound uk  (Read 14132 times)
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 23:39:35 »

Lost revenue costs a lot as well!!!
Try telling FGW (First Great Western) that!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 18:49:07 »

Launched today: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8254969.stm
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 19:02:07 »

When I came back from the Isle of Wight, they were giving out leaflets at West Cowes Red Jet terminal. Most ended up in the bin... (NOT mine!)

A few points: despite the fact that the leaflets and new report say "under 2 hours", the Southampton - London service takes 2 hours 19 minutes. The Portsmouth service takes 1 hour 59 minutes; in practice I expect these will take much longer, even off peak. The journey times do not look realistic: the rush hour services are given no extra minutes at all!

Ok, "fare" enough it's cheap, but I thought SWT (South West Trains)'s service was very good, an airy and fast train, (seats a bit hard and that Celia Drummond woman giving me a headache - Desiros have verbal diarrhoea!) and fares start from ^1 on Megatrain anyway. The journey time is well under 2 hours. There is no scope of journey time reductions due to the volume of trains and they probably want to make sure the train arrives at the Woking bottleneck dead on time.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 19:07:19 »

If I decide to go to Southampton Uni, this looks very attractive. Coaches look very comfortable and wi-fi is excellent. SWT (South West Trains) Desiros aren't that great. Celia babbling on is enough to drive anybody mad, let alone the price of train travel on SWT.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 19:32:10 »

Couple of weeks back, they had Greyhound 'touts' all over the up side foyer at Southampton Central.  Shocked Haven't seen any since though...

Paul
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 21:13:31 »

If I decide to go to Southampton Uni, this looks very attractive. Coaches look very comfortable and wi-fi is excellent. SWT (South West Trains) Desiros aren't that great. Celia babbling on is enough to drive anybody mad, let alone the price of train travel on SWT.

Wifi is a plus point, and the Desiro seats are very hard - like FGW (First Great Western)'s HSTs (High Speed Train).

As for Celia, she needs to be exterminated......... from train announcments. An MP (Member of Parliament) is already campaigning against her intrusions. Sorry, it needs saying - SWT need Phil as the onboard announcer. Do any TOCs (Train Operating Company) have him?
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 23:08:40 »

Wifi is a plus point, and the Desiro seats are very hard - like FGW (First Great Western)'s HSTs (High Speed Train).

As for Celia, she needs to be exterminated......... from train announcments. An MP (Member of Parliament) is already campaigning against her intrusions.

Exterminate:

^verb (used with object), -nat⋅ed, -nat⋅ing.
to get rid of by destroying; destroy totally; extirpate: to exterminate an enemy; to exterminate insects.

Slightly harsh one might say.

Sorry, it needs saying - SWT need Phil as the onboard announcer. Do any TOCs (Train Operating Company) have him?

It really doesn't need saying imo.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 00:33:06 »

I only said she needed exterminating from train announcements! Sorry should have used a "smiley". Shocked [slaps wrist]

Sorry, what do you mean by "doesn't need saying". Is that meant to be a pun on Phil SAYER? Huh
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 15:26:18 »

The issue on SWT (South West Trains) is the number of announcements the system is programmed to make, compounded by frequent stops on many of their services.

Whoever the voice is making these announcements (and quite frankly, I'd rather have the dulcet tones of Celia Drummond rather than the infernally irritating Shouty Phil), it's their sheer frequency that is extremely grating.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 16:39:38 »

I personally find Celia irritating, and Phil not so. BUt that's just opinion.

THe thing I HATE about Celia is her pronunciations - which are often wrong - and her exaggerated posh voice - not needed.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 18:36:10 »

I personally find Celia irritating, and Phil not so. BUt that's just opinion.

THe thing I HATE about Celia is her pronunciations - which are often wrong - and her exaggerated posh voice - not needed.

Funny, I have a vague feeling you may have mentioned that before somewhere...  Wink

Anyway, they're not wrong per se, any more than pronunciation with a regional accent can be considered wrong. Presumably you don't have a froth attack if you hear a train manager with a west country accent pronounce "Bath" with the local "aa" sound rather than the so-called standard English (rhymes with "hearth"). This ain't any different. Pleeease change the record Btline  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 18:42:31 by inspector_blakey » Logged
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 20:31:17 »

I only said she needed exterminating from train announcements! Sorry should have used a "smiley". Shocked [slaps wrist]

Sorry, what do you mean by "doesn't need saying". Is that meant to be a pun on Phil SAYER? Huh

You said "it needs saying that SWT (South West Trains) should have Phil", I was just disagreeing.  You don't need to get all defensive about your beloved Phil... Wink

I (and most on here) get it, you love Phil, you don't like Celia. I on the other hand prefer Celia's voice, but then I like posh girls  Grin... let's move back to Greyhound buses....>>>>>

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 23:05:48 »

you love Phil, you don't like Celia. I on the other hand prefer Celia's voice, but then I like posh girls  Grin

I have a posh voice! And I rather like Celia too.

You're right though - let's get back to the business of Greyhound buses Wink
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 23:17:49 »

It's nothing about being posh or well spoken etc. It's just that she exaggerates the poshness. Just listen to her saying London Euston; it could be from a black and white film from the 50s. That's why I prefer Phil - normal, non exaggerated (the exception is when he says London Midland).

But I better stop barking on about Phil! I'm making myself bored, and many others by the sound of it! Lips sealed Undecided Cool
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 23:30:28 »

A voluntary moratorium on mentioning Phil Sayer would be splendid, thank you!  Wink Smiley

And now back to a well-known brand of long-distance bus newly introduced to the UK (United Kingdom)...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: