Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 19:17:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[82] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[31] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greyhound uk  (Read 14136 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 23:35:54 »

Anyone in coffee shop land availed themselves of this new service yet? Are there any pre-recorded on-board announcements?!?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 23:57:13 »

Are there any pre-recorded on-board announcements?!?

You beat me to it! Grin Tongue
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 09:40:11 »

In "BR (British Rail(ways)) Days"
*Trains in general called at fewer places

I don't doubt you - I'm sure you've done your research - but I must confess I find this particular statement quite surprising.

Could you perhaps give some evidence to support this? And which period of BR's reign in particular are you referring to, just out of interest?

One example I can think of is - In BR days Chippenham didn't get a stop on all BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI))-Paddington services.  Now every train stops.   

Chippenham certainly got a stop on many services between Bristol and London Paddington in BR days.   In the early days though it certainly wasn't as frequent as nowadays.    Looking at the 1978 timetable for example during the off-peak daytimes(between 11am and 3pm) it was as few as one train every two hours to London.  Before and after those  hours trains were a little more frequent.    By the 1994 timetable things had improved for Chippenham, with pretty much an hourly service during the day.  Whilst at peak morning and evening times there was an approximately half hour service in each direction.     Also back in BR days some trains stopped at Chippenham and didn't stop at Swindon.

DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2009, 18:13:53 »

Could we have a Greyhound Exeter - London?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 00:46:10 »

After just over three years in operation, First have announced that they are ending the London-South Coast Greyhound services due to low passenger demand. Another First Group road transport division bites the dust.

The South Wales services between Cardiff and Swansea are however continuing.

From greyhounduk.com:

Greyhound Solent Closure

18th November 2012

It is with regret that we have to announce we will be ending our Greyhound UK (United Kingdom) services between London and Hampshire and the Isle of Wight on 17th November. Unfortunately, these services are not seeing sufficient passenger numbers and therefore we've reached the difficult decision to withdraw the buses from the routes.

We would like to thank our Solent customers for travelling with Greyhound UK and can assure them that they will continue to enjoy the same quality service right up until we stop operating.

Greyhound UK will continue to operate its successful and popular services between Cardiff and Swansea and will look at any other new opportunities as they arise.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 09:55:31 »

Also to note  that First are planning a Cardiff - Bristol Airport greyhound service according to information given to members of staff.

Too be fair to First I think they were always going to struggle  running an express coach service from Portsmouth/Southampton - London especially when there is a good number of rail services and also the area is well served by National express.

It isn't a surprise that the south wales service has done well however since it has always been a profitable route seeing as it provdes a direct link from Cardiff/Swansea to Mc Arthur Glen.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2012, 10:44:28 »

Too be fair to First I think they were always going to struggle  running an express coach service from Portsmouth/Southampton - London especially when there is a good number of rail services and also the area is well served by National express.

Indeed SWT (South West Trains)'s Megatrain services included both their routes for those looking for bargain prices.  I wonder if (as far as Portsmouth is concerned) they had just been giving it a year to see if it could take advantage of the new Hindhead tunnel on the A3 - or did the Greyhounds run via Fareham/Southampton - another damaging increase in journey time?

Paul
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 18:54:59 »

I've always searched for Greyhound prices on my Portsmouth to London journeys, but rail has always come out cheaper.

Last Wednesday, to London in the morning peak, returning mid-afternoon.  ^20 cheaper for an anytime return on the train (without a railcard), plus the return journey was more flexible.

On the odd occasion I have used National Express, the coaches appear to be 1/3 to 1/2 loaded.

Indeed SWT (South West Trains)'s Megatrain services included both their routes for those looking for bargain prices.  I wonder if (as far as Portsmouth is concerned) they had just been giving it a year to see if it could take advantage of the new Hindhead tunnel on the A3 - or did the Greyhounds run via Fareham/Southampton - another damaging increase in journey time?
I see Greyhound coaches on the A3(M) near Waterlooville, so I assume they use the A3 into London.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 23:56:09 »

This is a shame. As much as I can see why they're pulling out due to the competition.

They do offer Free WiFi, Power Sockets and Toilets. Of which the train offers Power Sockets in First Class and Toilets, I guess there is the advantages of refreshments also. But SWT (South West Trains) don't (Yet) have WiFi which seems to be very popular on other train services.

National Express - Some Coaches do have WiFi provided by T-Mobile and it does work, but you'll often see the "Over Usage Limit" Error. It still works but can be restricted majorly over other Cell Users. They also have Loo's but not Power Sockets.

So I can see how it would've been attractive but perhaps they were too slow/unreliable or not well advertised? Or maybe in the case of Melksham and in occasions Frome, Perhaps nobody wants to travel as the times aren't suitable or the drop off/pickup points too awkward to get to?

As a completely different topic (I do this a lot don't I Tongue ). Has anyone used the new(ish) Bristol Flyer Buses? I have very briefly as I boarded at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and went to Parson Street as their were no trains, but the vast majority have WiFi (Didn't try it myself) and also Power Sockets! They also accept Bus Passes until 4AM I believe Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 19:02:12 »

Could we have a Greyhound Exeter - London?

National Express tried the Rapide service back in the 80's. However, no matter how fast you can get to Outer London it's snail pace thereafter much of the time.

I worked with a chap who takes the NE coach to London once a month but now jumps off at Heathrow, buys a Travelcard and catches the tube into the City. He's not supposed to (Heathrow tickets are more expensive than London) but he told me the delays were often horrendous, and the drivers usually turn a blind eye.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: