19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 17:20:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[82] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[31] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail staff 'quote higher fares'  (Read 3413 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2009, 06:15:01 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8210465.stm

Poor advice from rail staff means some travellers pay more than double the cheapest fare, reports Which? magazine.

Enquiries to ticket office staff and the National Rail Enquiries Service (NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service)) found prices quoted higher than the lowest fare in 27 out of 50 cases. Two in three station clerks and two in five NRES staff did not offer the cheapest fares and some offered tickets over twice the cost of the cheapest.

Train company representatives said the report was "seriously misleading".
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:48:01 »

I cannot speak for NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service), any other TOC (Train Operating Company) but I have always found FGW (First Great Western) really good.

Personally I am not always convinced by Which reports, they fail to say some of the cheapest fares are subject to availability.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:40:28 »

I suspect this is the annual survey where Which go and ask booking office staff for some incredibly esoteric journeys suggested by Barry Doe of Rail Magazine; there's usually a subtle catch in each enquiry that could trip up an unwary booking clerk (e.g. someone might say they wanted to make two very long journeys in the course of a week, with the result that a week's all-line rover ticket would actually end up being the cheapest option. The clerk would therefore be criticized if they didn't immediately offer this).

If it is a similar survey to previously, some of the questions are so complicated I don't think you can consider it a representative sample of day-to-day business at the ticket office window (and in fact I'd be impressed if staff got those questions right 50% of the time). It certainly does not mean that half of passengers end up paying more than they should at the ticket office window, and much as it pains me, I almost find myself agreeing with ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)...
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 12:03:03 »

It is difficult to critise the staff without knowing what the questions were (and my experience of FGW (First Great Western) booking office staff has been pretty good), but one can't help drawing the conclusion that if staff can't fully understand the system then perhaps it is too complicated. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 14:11:23 »

I think a previous 'Which?' report was discussed on here, and the questions set were done so by Barry Doe (the fare's expert), and were by no means a 'typical' set of questions that the average NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) clerk gets in a day, but more ones designed to be obscure, such as a 7-day season ticket being cheaper than two open returns in one example.

It could be argued that the fares system shouldn't allow such discrepancies, but it's incredibly difficult to do. The articles that are published as a result in the national press give the impression that it is a representative sample and that you stand more of a chance of being given wrong information than right. That simply isn't true.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 14:23:17 »

It could be argued that the fares system shouldn't allow such discrepancies, but it's incredibly difficult to do.

Not difficult at all to simplify some of the obsurities.  For example, how about making all seasons 4 x the open return price.  A simple univeral rule that the booking office staff would learn. 

Personally I think that TOCs (Train Operating Company) should not be allowed to set their own fares (with the possible exception of AP).  They have demonstated that they cannot be trusted to do this simply, honestly or fairly.  And the current regulation system just throws up more annomolies and loop holes.

fares could be left to a central body (ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) or ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)?) who would set them with regard to capacity, demand quality of service, speed etc and with a much simply set of restrictions etc.  TOCs would know exactly what their fares would be when they bid for the franchise and would price their bid accordingly. 
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 18:21:11 »

Not difficult at all to simplify some of the obsurities.  For example, how about making all seasons 4 x the open return price.  A simple univeral rule that the booking office staff would learn. 
///
fares could be left to a central body (ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) or ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)?) who would set them with regard to capacity, demand quality of service, speed etc and with a much simply set of restrictions etc.  TOCs (Train Operating Company) would know exactly what their fares would be when they bid for the franchise and would price their bid accordingly. 

A standard multiplier for weekly seasons is sensible, but they've painted themselves into a corner in my area (South Hants) where a rise from just less than 2x, up to 4x would be very difficult to implement. All because seasons are regulated and full price day tickets aren't, as it's a SE commuter TOC. As Barry Doe pointed out recently, the SWT (South West Trains) long distance commuters are most vocal in their criticism of their fares, but never stop to think how much less they pay than casual travellers.

In terms of a suitable central body though, ATOC would be a complete waste of time. They have no regulatory authority as they are a trade/membership organisation for TOCs - i.e. they aren't independent.  They really just organise cross industry services , exemplified by the Rail Settlement Plan, and the 'National Rail' website etc.

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 19:11:28 »

I suspect this is the annual survey where Which go and ask booking office staff for some incredibly esoteric journeys suggested by Barry Doe of Rail Magazine; there's usually a subtle catch in each enquiry that could trip up an unwary booking clerk (e.g. someone might say they wanted to make two very long journeys in the course of a week, with the result that a week's all-line rover ticket would actually end up being the cheapest option. The clerk would therefore be criticized if they didn't immediately offer this).

If it is a similar survey to previously, some of the questions are so complicated I don't think you can consider it a representative sample of day-to-day business at the ticket office window (and in fact I'd be impressed if staff got those questions right 50% of the time). It certainly does not mean that half of passengers end up paying more than they should at the ticket office window, and much as it pains me, I almost find myself agreeing with ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)...

I must apologise for basically repeating everything you said in your post a couple of hours later! Tired eyes must have somehow missed your reply!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 22:35:12 »

No worries! I've been guilty of exactly the same in the past  Wink
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 10:22:06 »

A standard multiplier for weekly seasons is sensible, but they've painted themselves into a corner in my area (South Hants) where a rise from just less than 2x, up to 4x would be very difficult to implement.

alternatively  they could put down their prices of their open returns.  IIFR, Vacman has commented that on some London-Cornwall trains their might be only 2 or 3 people on open returns (everyone else AP) so on that flow at least there wouldn't be much loss of revenue (and perhaps an increase if some switch from dirt cheap AP to medium prices open returns).

The mistake (of government) was to regulate the wrong fares.  They shoudl have regulated the most expensive open fares and let cheaper fares slot in underneath, instead they regulated mid-priced fares which allowed the unregulated high priced fares to skyrocket and TOCs (Train Operating Company) to mess about with teh ticket restrictions to undermine the mid-priced saver fares,
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: