13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 13:28:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[53] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[40] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[34] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paddington overbridge ticket barriers  (Read 6741 times)
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 23:13:38 »

Just to add to thread on the lifts at Reading, both lifts are monitored by CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) which is viewed from the Gateline supervisors office. When the call button is pressed, a buzzer goes off in the office and the supervisor will look at the CCTV to see if the use of the lifts is justified - i.e. for prams, luggage, wheelchairs etc. If it is, they press a button which allows the lifts to be used - the cage moves to the level it is needed and the doors open. Hence the possibility of a delay. If it isn't justified - usually some oiks attempting to evade the ticket check - the lifts are not released and the oiks hang around waiting for a genuine ticket holder to come along. There is an intercom that allows the supervisor to speak to people waiting for lifts, e.g. to advise them to use the escalators and come through the gateline.

When oiks do manage to get into the lifts alongside a genuine user, they are often surprised to be met at the next level by the gateline or platform supervisor, who have monitored events and communicated by radio.

The situation is complicated by members of the public with pushchairs using the overbridge to cross from Vastern Road to the town centre, and then using the lift on platform 4 to get down to concourse level. They then approach the gates and ask to be let out without a ticket.

Its a situation that demands common sense and awareness. On the whole, it works quite well.

When the gates are unstaffed, the lifts are switched to automatic operation.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 23:14:43 »

Well just to re-iterate the study I did last year when I had a season and I worked out what I COULD have gotten away with if I wanted to.....

Over the last five weeks I could have gotten away with ONE return ticket a week only a couple of one way singles in the morning.

Reason: My tickets were never gripped - except on three notable occasions - I know the trains and the times - ive been keeping a record in case anyone here doubted me!

So buy a return on the monday - the out is valid for five days - covers me to friday.  The return for a month.  The only times my tickets became invalid were when the barrier guys - on four occasions in the last five weeks - insisted on putting a hole in my ticket for me to keep it as a receipt.  When changing trains at Reading I have used the lift to avoid the bottleneck at the manned gate when going to M&S.....and they never seem to look at the ticket on the way in - quick flash of the ticket wallet and bobs your uncle.

In fact ti seems that the TM(resolve)'s only check the to and from stations since one morning I thought I had bought a ticket the previous week - I buy one the train on the way home for the next journey - but my plans got screwed up and I got confused.  The ticket I flashed during his inspection in fact wasnt valid!  I had bought it on the tuesday for travel on the wednesday but ended up WFH (Working From Home) rest of the week  - by the time Monday came around, it wasnt valid.  On his next ticket check, I asked to buy a ticket - looked confused - so I explained - and he said "easy mistake to make and I didnt see the date" - hmmmmmm

Armed with the above - just what could one get away with if they are bright enough

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 23:18:11 »

Just to add to thread on the lifts at Reading, both lifts are monitored by CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) which is viewed from the Gateline supervisors office. When the call button is pressed, a buzzer goes off in the office and the supervisor will look at the CCTV to see if the use of the lifts is justified - i.e. for prams, luggage, wheelchairs etc. If it is, they press a button which allows the lifts to be used - the cage moves to the level it is needed and the doors open. Hence the possibility of a delay. If it isn't justified - usually some oiks attempting to evade the ticket check - the lifts are not released and the oiks hang around waiting for a genuine ticket holder to come along. There is an intercom that allows the supervisor to speak to people waiting for lifts, e.g. to advise them to use the escalators and come through the gateline.

Great in theory - except I have used it myself when getting off on six at the wrong end of the turbo and seen the masses trying to get up the escalator.......Now im fat (although not as fat as I was and getting smaller - but still fat) and usually have a back pack - but you could not look at me and say I cant use the escalator or the lift - its not a trailblazers backpack - just a large laptop one

Never not been held or met at the top.........me thinks its a flawed system - maybe  I look innocent.  I am - but I have in the last few years worked out so many ways you could play the system and get away with it - WITHOUT PROPER TICKET CHECKS ON THE TRAIN!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 23:50:42 »

I think you miss the point. Its a system that relies on common sense. So, if you have not had a problem using the lift, someone has made a call which has turned out to be a good one. The staff there are not in the habit of chasing apparently genuine customers.

Of course, it is a flawed system - the gateline was installed after the bridge and lifts had been built - and anyone with a bit of nouse, which is most of the users of this site, could get round it. The point is that it works most of the time.

Anyway, it won't be for much longer. The overbridge will be an early casualty of the rebuild.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 01:22:07 »

Of course, it is a flawed system - the gateline was installed after the bridge and lifts had been built - and anyone with a bit of nouse, which is most of the users of this site, could get round it. The point is that it works most of the time.

Exactly. If 0.1% of the punters are intelligent enough to work it out for themselves, or 'in the know' by reading about it on sites like this, the 99.9% who don't make whatever they get away with a drop in the ocean in terms of lost revenue. Reading's footbridge design means that the only possible solution has been adopted.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 07:37:57 »

I'm I supose to be flattered that I didn't look like an oik or insulted that I looked too feeble and unfit to barry my rucksack up the escalator?

Wink
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 16:07:09 »

The Reading situation will be resolved in the rebuild won't it, when the subway becomes the 'land side' north-south through route?

Paul
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 21:18:49 »

Is there not a direct route from the overbridge to the multi-storey car park that would bypass the barriers?
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 21:23:21 »

Is there not a direct route from the overbridge to the multi-storey car park that would bypass the barriers?
The route from the car park to the station concourse is outside the barriers completely as far as I can remember.. There is half of the overbridge within the barriers, and part outside..
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 21:46:08 »

The route from the car park to the station concourse is outside the barriers completely as far as I can remember.. There is half of the overbridge within the barriers, and part outside..
[/quote

yes - down onto platform 5 - up in the aforementioned lift, out through the car park

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: