19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 17:43:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[82] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[31] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The 2+7's - as far as I remember........  (Read 3310 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: September 02, 2009, 19:00:07 »

They were going to be used for shorter journey's....... or for off peak services........

Well how about the Cathedrals "Express" (Express being defined by FGW (First Great Western) and not the common definition of the word but we wont go there) - the second longest journey I believe in FGW land after PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-Penzance - the flagship cotswolds service - being a 2+7

Would they do it to the Golden Hind, Would they do it the (I think its called) Red Dragon....... I suspect not.

Ridiculous

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 19:14:57 »

Would they do it to the Golden Hind, Would they do it the (I think its called) Red Dragon....... I suspect not.

Confirmed as - NOT
The 1815 which I believe is the Red Dragon - we got set swapped with alledgedly

So they get their buffet and we get.............this

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 19:19:19 »

Isn't it only advertised as a normal buffet service anyway?
Rogang

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 22:11:47 »

not strictly true about the set swap with the 18:15. Paddington ended up with no less than three HST (High Speed Train)'s short for peak service tonight after three totally unrelated set faults during the afternoon. Turbo's were drafted in for th 18:33 and 18:51 Oxfords, and the rest was a huge 'step up' operation with sets. FGW (First Great Western) have a policy not to use 2+7's on the peak Herefords unless really unavoidable, and tonight was one of those nights. Shame it was on day 2 of post-Cotswold block
willc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 23:32:24 »

Isn't it only advertised as a normal buffet service anyway?

Yes, but I'm assuming that this was not a 2+7 with a mini-buffet...

But it seems to have been one of those evenings really. The 19.22 Hereford was 30+ late after an incident at Paddington. Not entirely sure of its nature as the FGW (First Great Western) website and conductor both said a passenger had been taken ill, the announcements at Oxford said there was an accident involving a passenger and I bumped into someone I know on the train, who said a person had fallen between the train and the platform.

Train then seems to have been held at Moreton or Evesham and was showing as 56 late from Evesham on the website, with services going in the opposite direction also stuffed up. Roll on 2011....
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 23:43:43 »

Not been a great day for fgw, what with 1A74 0600 Plymouth Paddington arriving at 1120, a mere 2hr20 mins late!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 23:47:40 »

You are correct

The 1822 cathedrals express was a 2+7 with a trolley in FC(resolve) and a static in A

A trolley in FC I thought had left at oxford ........ I broke my toe this morning - see another post in across the west

Sp did not want to hobble to A - surprise there was still a station in H but she did not venture out beyond oxford!

willc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 20:40:39 »

And another 2+7 on the 18.22 tonight. The customer host in coach A was still doing a roaring trade and was most apologetic about the lack of a buffet - and chilled drinks!

The scrolling platform displays at Oxford now proclaim: Please note this train is called the Cathedrals Express.

But not very express tonight - brought to a stand at the edge of Moreton-in-Marsh. That and the resulting trundle into the station cost five minutes. I can understand being held outside when there is a train from Evesham approaching as well, but the 18.47 from Worcester was long gone, having passed us at Kingham running on time. I don't mind being delayed for a genuine reason but this just looked like sloppy operating.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 23:04:17 »

And another 2+7 on the 18.22 tonight. The customer host in coach A was still doing a roaring trade and was most apologetic about the lack of a buffet - and chilled drinks!

The scrolling platform displays at Oxford now proclaim: Please note this train is called the Cathedrals Express.

But not very express tonight - brought to a stand at the edge of Moreton-in-Marsh. That and the resulting trundle into the station cost five minutes. I can understand being held outside when there is a train from Evesham approaching as well, but the 18.47 from Worcester was long gone, having passed us at Kingham running on time. I don't mind being delayed for a genuine reason but this just looked like sloppy operating.

Possibly the 1751 on the single line?  Thats what did for us on Wed!

willc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 00:21:16 »

Possibly the 1751 on the single line?  Thats what did for us on Wed!

That wouldn't need the train to be stopped outside the station, even if the section to Evesham is still occupied. The signaller can perfectly well bring an approaching train down to low speed by leaving the signal at danger, then drop it as the train approaches so it can just keep on going slowly all the way to the platform, with the next two home signals being dropped in turn as the train nears, rather than have to make a standing start with a few hundred yards to go, which is also a waste of fuel.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: