04:50 Fratton to Bristol Temple Meads
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 06:42:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Rail penalty fares to soar under Government plans' from the Telegraph (7/9/09)  (Read 9236 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 23:17:13 »

Normally I'm ok. Apart from a Waterloo where the barriers just didn't open. I started trying to ram the barrier open, so a member of staff just opened it with a key without even looking at my ticket! (or railcard)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 23:39:05 »

One issue that has always bothered me about TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) is this: they sell a range of different ticket types for the same journey but do not detail the restrictions that apply to them. Unless you've done your research beforehand or make the journey regularly, it's not always possible to figure out which ticket you should be buying.

This is one thing at a staffed station with an open ticket office where you can get assistance. It's another thing at an unstaffed penalty fares station equipped with a TVM: you're obliged to buy a ticket but aren't provided with the information necessary to figure out which ticket you should buy.

I suspect conditions are not detailed in full on the TVMs because many of the ticket restrictions are so arcane that detailing them in full would simply cause confusion, but to my mind that points to an issue with the fares system that needs correcting. I'm sure some people will dismiss this argument by saying "but you should have done your research ahead of time". That argument probably has some merit, but if I go to purchase something in a shop I expect to be able to know exactly what the money I'm spending is getting me at the time I purchase; I don't have to make enquiries on the internet or by telephone ahead of time in order to know!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 23:59:01 »

Also - take my journey tonight

I got out of work at a weird time - going to slough would mean a long wait at reading or, since the office is closer to DAtchet than slough, I could go Datchet - Staines - RDG(resolve) and get the 1722 - same time but more time on train that sitting at RDG station if I got the 1644 from Langley and hence I could get an assignment finished!

So I got to Datchet and the ticket office is closed............the SWT (South West Trains) TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) I could not get to give me a standard YP ticket from datchet to RDG - I tried - was there 15 minutes early!  I then tried to get a full price thinking four quid who cares - only the machine rejected my card!  I then tried to find the TM(resolve) on the short journey from DAtchet to Staines......SWT were the TOC (Train Operating Company) that PF (Penalty Fare)'d me when I spend nearly 40 minutes trying to get parked once and then HAD to jump a train with no ticket as I was then late!  So I was aware it was in my interest!

So I got to Staines and went to the barrier and got the Spanish inquisition over why I hadnt bought a ticket at Datchet - I HAD TRIED!  The delay at the barrier meant I missed the unofficial connection I should have been able to make so I couldnt go to M&S at reading to get dinner - bit of a minor irritation........but it was the total humiliation I felt at the barrier at being held up and also, the tone of voice in the guy who said "leave more time next time so you can work out what you are doing ......." or words to that effect!  Okay - when I travel I look like a scruff but you dont judge a book by its cover!

Then we have the card issue - its a brand new card, visa, barclaycard...........well within the credit limit, I know the PIN - you know those hand held pin readers - its always declined on them and the TVM's and also I now see the SWT TVM's - but a shop/ticket office/ATM(resolve) - no problem.  I'm wondering if its the 2013 expiry date. I dunno - but it needs sorting because its not my card so I cant be the only one!  If it had not been for that, I would have had a ticket at Datchet, I would have got the earlier train and not had to get take out on the way home!  And if I had not had an alternate card?

This is why I dont like the attitude of the TOC's - I know you get dodging scrotes but today I was in the shoes of a more than average travelller - ie a journey I could not predict in advance but I probably know more about the rules than your average joe bloggs

But still I was a made to feel like a scrote - if that was my only interface with the rail system?  Would I use it again?  No

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 12:51:05 »

One issue that has always bothered me about TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) is this: they sell a range of different ticket types for the same journey but do not detail the restrictions that apply to them. Unless you've done your research beforehand or make the journey regularly, it's not always possible to figure out which ticket you should be buying.

That isn't necessarily true nationally. The Virgin TVMs I 've used at Euston and Rugby display the restrictions no problem if you select a LM (London Midland - recent franchise) fare for instance...  SWT (South West Trains)'s machines have a box marked 'see restrictions' when choosing a fare from a list, but usually there isn't any data loaded if you touch it. ISTM that teh manufacturers have provided the facility, the TOCs (Train Operating Company) just aren't bothered.

Paul
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 16:47:01 »

As I've posted elsewhere previously, the whole system of selling tickets by TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) is not consistent:

The ticket machines at Nailsea won't sell you an off-peak ticket until the machine clock gets to 0930.  Problem is, the first off-peak train from Nailsea departs at 0930 - so unless you can teleport yourself aboard, you just can't do it.

Perhaps that's why our local cheery chap with an Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) machine has taken to posting a nice hand-written notice next to the ticket machines, inviting intending passengers up to his cabin - where he is happy to sell you an off-peak ticket for the 0930, at any time from 0900 onwards!

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: