Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 26 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 01:05:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Train man cautioned for gun claim' at Bristol Parkway (11/09/2009)  (Read 5145 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: September 12, 2009, 20:14:42 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Police have cautioned a man who claimed he was carrying a gun on a train as it passed through Bristol.

Parkway Station was closed for an hour while armed officers dealt with the incident on Friday afternoon, disrupting trains travelling to and from London and South Wales.

British Transport Police said the man had subsequently apologised for the flippant comment made to train staff.

The man also showed off a large amount of cash to staff, police said.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:24:00 »

From the Bristol Evening Post:

Bristol train station evacuated after gun joke

Bristol Parkway Station was evacuated by armed police in a security alert sparked when a passenger on a train joked that he was carrying a gun.

The incident happened ... on a London to Cardiff train and involved a 41-year-old man heading to Bristol with more than ^8,000 in cash to buy a car.

The train was in the Didcot area when the man made his way to the buffet car to buy refreshments, police said.

A member of staff at the buffet noticed his wallet was stuffed full of ^50 notes and when she remarked on it he told her he was also carrying a gun.

The woman then alerted British Transport Police, who closed Bristol Parkway Station for about an hour.

Armed police and a helicopter unit from Avon and Somerset also attended and the man was arrested and later cautioned.

Transport police spokesman Brian Price said: "A 41-year-old man was arrested at Bristol Parkway Station on suspicion of money laundering on Friday, September 11. He has since been released without charge. The man sparked a security alert on board the 10.15am London Paddington to Cardiff service after he indicated to a member of train staff that he was in possession of a firearm. He was also carrying a large quantity of cash, which also aroused suspicions. Police were alerted at 11.02am and officers from BTP (British Transport Police), assisted by armed officers from Avon and Somerset police, detained the man when the train arrived at Parkway shortly after midday. The station was closed for a short period of time."

Sergeant Mark Harris said: "The man was arrested on suspicion of money laundering but when interviewed it emerged he was legitimately carrying more than ^8,000 to buy a car in the Bristol area and no weapons were found. He apologised for making a flippant comment, which led to armed police clearing the station. He was cautioned for a railway by-law offence for interfering with the comfort of fellow passengers."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:37:08 »

I hope FGW (First Great Western) take out a private prosecution against this muppet to try and get some recompence for the costs they would've incurred.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:33:34 »

Amazing isn't it ? You can now get arrested on suspicion of "money laundering" if you have a few quid in your wallet ! I'd better watch out next time I go to the cash machine to get money to pay for a train ticket.

As the man stated he was carrying a gun I would have thought there was another Law, somewhat more relevant, to arrest him.
Rogang

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 19:06:54 »

And spare a thought for the customer host - she had to remain calm having been told the idiot had a gun. I was on duty that morning, and i understand that the CH was a credit to the Company in her actions.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 00:12:34 »

I'm amazed, given the amount of seriously draconian railway legislation that's enshrined in law, that they couldn't find anything more serious to stick on this guy than a bylaw offence.

Is my memory playing tricks on me, or was there a vaguely similar incident at Parkway a few years ago that actually did involve a gun? From what I recall when a conductor was examining tickets one passenger just opened his jacket slightly to reveal a gun and said "this is my ticket". Once again the staff response was superb: the conductor was incredibly calm and clear headed and had police meet the train at Parkway (or was it Swindon...?) where the offending individual was arrested with no harm done.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 00:32:52 »

Well, there have certainly been previous incidents of a similar nature:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1200.msg6225#msg6225

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1409.msg8183#msg8183

Roll Eyes

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: