Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
Delayed
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:37:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[177] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[54] access for all at Devon stations report
[34] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[28] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: East Midlands Trains - any opinions?  (Read 16146 times)
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 20, 2009, 21:57:19 »

Hi all,

Subject to me being able to book the time off from work tomorrow, I shall be spending a week with my parents on holiday in the Peak District in the middle of next month.

I'm going to be travelling up by train on the Friday night from St Pancras after work, I just wondered if anyone had any opinions on East Midlands Trains as I've not used them before (although I have travelled from Derby before, but that was when it was Midland Mainline!)

I'm going to try and get on one of their Meridian services, and, as usual, I've thought about going First Class - which looks fairly swanky according to this pic http://paulbigland.fotopic.net/p59649392.html - no leather seats though! And I think the leg of my journey from Derby to Matlock might come as a bit of a shock after the swankiness of the Meridian!

So, just wanted to know if anyone had had any experience of travelling on EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about), particularly on a Meridian... is it comparable to the FGW (First Great Western) Adelante?
laird
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 22:11:00 »

Meridian comfort is certainly comparable to the Adelante, the first class seat is probably a bit better as their standard of interior upkeep is better.

On board service varies somewhat but is not much different from the current FGW (First Great Western) offering.

With the Virgin trains service lacking at seat audio (and the free first class wifi also not working if today is anything to go by), the general deterioration of the East Coast Mainline offering East Midlands mainline services are now perhaps the best option to the peak district.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 20:52:09 »

My experience is mostly on their Leicester - Bedford (semi-fast) services.
The ride quality on the Meridians is much better than Adelantes. Adelantes had a curious yawing motion which is noticeably absent from the Meridians.
Time-keeping generally superior to my experiences with FGW (First Great Western).
The one odd thing that they do end up with is when they have two short Meridians coupled together. They have to do a lot of announcements to get all of the Loughborough passengers herded into the half of the train that will stop at Loughborough (the other half won't!).
And the First Class service can be different in the two halves : one of my colleagues had a maximum fare, breakfast included, ticket and found (after he'd stowed all his luggage and got the laptop out) that he'd been booked into the no-breakfast half of the train. Shall we say that EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) didn't deal with that very well.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 21:03:20 »

EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) are a pretty good TOC (Train Operating Company). I always try and use one of their few HST (High Speed Train) services where possible. Still smarting over them taking HSTs off the London-Sheffield line which is their longest IC (Inter City) route.
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 22:05:21 »

Well I'm all booked in, picked up my tickets today at Paddington - I'm going on the 17:00 Meridian train on 16th October, which goes through Bedford and Wellingborough before splitting at Kettering (which could be interesting!) and going on to Leicester, Loughborough, East Midlands Parkway, Long Eaton and then Derby (where I change for the train to Matlock).

I'm booked into coach G in First Class on the Meridian - not sure where this'll be on the train and not sure whether it's a normal coach or a quiet one - can't seem to find a seating plan for EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about), so don't know whether the layout is similar to FGW (First Great Western).
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 22:24:45 »

I expect the split at Kettering is to allow for the Corby coaches to detach.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 22:36:57 »

The Meridians are nice trains, don't be put off by the Voyager bodyshell, the interior spec is vastly superior. I'd quite happily sit on one of those even in standard class for a long journey (went on a trip from St Pancras up to Loughborough with a group of friends including an ex-BR (British Rail(ways)) man some time ago, and he was convinced we had sat in first class rather than standard by mistake until we showed him the stickers!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 22:49:10 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

A ^10m programme to refurbish 25 East Midlands trains has been completed.
The East Midlands Trains carriages now have more seats, improved air conditioning and CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision).
The train firm provides rail services linking Norwich to Liverpool, via Peterborough, Nottingham and Sheffield, and services from London to Derby.
The refurbishment programme which has been carried out by DeltaRail in Derby, took 20 months to complete and aims to improve passenger safety and comfort.
A spokesman for East Midlands Trains said the new carriages would be a marked improvement on the Liverpool and Norwich route.
Internally, the new look trains feature an improved seating layout with more than 10% more seats and new toilet facilities.
David Horne, commercial and customer service director of East Midlands Trains, said they had received "some great feedback" about the newly refurbished trains.
John Saunders, chair of the Peterborough-Ely-Norwich Rail User Group, said: "This refurbishment has given passengers a brighter decor, cleaner toilets and above all more seats, which were particularly needed on the Liverpool to Norwich route."
David Thornhill, chair of Nottinghamshire Campaign for Better Transport, added: "We know the rail industry won't be immune from the spending cuts announced recently. However, what we've seen with this refurbishment is what marvellous results can be achieved with relatively little money being spent."
In total, East Midlands Trains is investing almost ^30m to improve its fleet, the company said.
The company's 11 High Speed Trains are also currently being refurbished.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 12:57:52 »

Unlikely we will see this on FGW (First Great Western) after they have spent money on converting a number of standard class coaches with mini buffet counters but another IC (Inter City) TOC (Train Operating Company) has scrapped buffet cars resorting to a trolley service from the end of this month:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-10939358
Buffet car services are to be scrapped on East Midlands Trains and replaced with a trolley service. The firm, which run trains from Sheffield to London, said standard class passengers could still choose hot and cold drinks, and hot baguettes. First class will have more catering staff, in a bid to reverse a 30% decline in premium passengers. Managers insisted all customers would enjoy an improved experience being served in their seats.
EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) are about to begin a refurb program of their meridian fleet. Wonder if they will do a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and have their serving areas removed. I doubt it.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 16:18:08 »

On the other hand, East Midlands Trains are to offer internet access on their trains. From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Passengers travelling from the East Midlands to London will soon be able to access the internet.

East Midlands Trains, which runs services from Nottingham, Derby and Leicester to London St Pancras, has begun to install wifi on its trains.

The service will be free to first class passengers but those in second class will have to pay a fee by debit or credit card.

It is expected to be installed in all trains by the end of the year.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 17:53:09 »

BUT, East Coast has both meals in First Class and for Standard class if room ( on some trains and lighter hot food in First on many more) and a Buffet Counter serving a wider range of hot and cold snacks / meals as well as drinks etc, plus a trolley service service in both First and Standard.

I suspect some, more discerning customers from EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) stations will either drive or train to Doncaster, Retford and Grantham for a faster and more comfortable (no Voyager derived trains on EC) journey to London.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 20:19:27 »

In fairness to EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about), the Meridians are poles apart in terms of internal spec from the Voyagers despite being constructed in the same bodyshell, and actually pretty pleasant to travel on.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 20:29:01 »

Managers insisted all customers would enjoy an improved experience being served in their seats.

And how many times while on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) do you hear the announcement "Trolley can't come through due to health & safety/luggage/people in the way"?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 20:41:42 by Donkey Guard » Logged

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 20:38:07 »

I've never quite understood how it is 'an improved experience' to be offered refreshments at the TOCs (Train Operating Company) convenience rather than when you want them.

Walking to the end of Coach F on a Voyager and asking for a coffee and having to wait while an impromptu staff meeting is conducted is not my idea of 'an improved experience'.

EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) should tell it like it is - it's a cost cutting exercise and nothing to do with improving the experience for customers.

Trolleys are fine on regional services on dmus/emus, but Inter-City operations should have a buffet.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 21:24:58 »

Plus East Coast's WiFi is free for all passengers. Something that NX didn't try and screw us for!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: