Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 02:48:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Signalling alterations  (Read 5158 times)
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2009, 13:45:53 »

I am sure there is an expert who can answer this for me.

On the up line on the approach to Dainton tunnel between Totnes and Newton Abbot there is a signal UM198. The distant for this, UM198R, was on a gantry giving good approach visibility. The gantry looks old and has been felled and is laying by the track. It has been replaced by a signal that can be no more than two feet from the ground.

I have never seen a running signal mounted this close to the ground where it could easily be obscured. It certainly looks odd.
The approach to UM198R is on a fairly sharp curve so the line of sight is not very good.

Does anyone know why this has been done?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 14:04:14 »

Gantry collapsed onto the line, must be a short term fix. You can see the old gantry dumped down the line.
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 15:07:43 »

It's actually UM218R.  It's original gantry was damaged by a road rail machine in a possession earlier this year and the structure was subsequently taken down.  At the moment, as you say ,the signal is mounted on a straight post but fairly low down I would assume that NR» (Network Rail - home page) will eventually provide a new structure as the sighting on that stretch is particularly poor.  However if the drivers don't complain then they probably wont spend the money to do it. Roll Eyes

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 15:58:08 »

It's actually UM218R.  It's original gantry was damaged by a road rail machine in a possession earlier this year and the structure was subsequently taken down.  At the moment, as you say ,the signal is mounted on a straight post but fairly low down I would assume that NR» (Network Rail - home page) will eventually provide a new structure as the sighting on that stretch is particularly poor.  However if the drivers don't complain then they probably wont spend the money to do it. Roll Eyes

surely they can't reduce ease of sighting a signal without it being spotted by a risk assessment?  Surely the paperwork required to (permanently) change a signals position would just be too much?  Surely the temporary solution is accompanied by a speed restruction or something to compensate for the difficulty in sighting?  Surely there is a more robust procedure than relying on drivers to report sighty problems?
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 16:16:22 »

On the up line on the approach to Dainton tunnel between Totnes and Newton Abbot there is a signal UM198. The distant for this, UM198R
I didn't think repeaters were technically distants.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 17:15:19 »

On the up line on the approach to Dainton tunnel between Totnes and Newton Abbot there is a signal UM198. The distant for this, UM198R
I didn't think repeaters were technically distants.

UM would tend to indicate these are auto signals, how many aspects do they have?

Repeaters are an anomaly in multi aspect areas. Take all the banner repeaters out of Padd on the Down main. They can only show if the signal is showing a proceed aspect. Thus if the previous signal is a Double Y then although the repeater for teh next siganl is off  you have to assumme the signal is showing Y and still continue showing down. Whereas it could be green. On an HST (High Speed Train) or Heathrow express you're locked down by ATP (Automatic Train Protection)  so there is no problem but on a Turbo.

So if the main signal is three aspect and the repeater is showing yellow you have to assumme that the main signal is at red. With a two aspect main signal there is no problem it acts like a distant, yellow main signal red, green main siganl green. 

However if the drivers don't complain then they probably wont spend the money to do it. Roll Eyes

Surely they can't reduce ease of sighting a signal without it being spotted by a risk assessment?  Surely the paperwork required to (permanently) change a signals position would just be too much?  Surely the temporary solution is accompanied by a speed restruction or something to compensate for the difficulty in sighting?  Surely there is a more robust procedure than relying on drivers to report sighty problems?

Unfortunately it's one of the problems caused by the separation of track and train. In my day at Waterloo (early 60s) if there was any hint of dodgy signal sighting the local ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) rep  would be knocking on my govenor's door demanding a sighting committee. Especialy after a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 17:24:44 »

surely they can't reduce ease of sighting a signal without it being spotted by a risk assessment?  Surely the paperwork required to (permanently) change a signals position would just be too much?  Surely the temporary solution is accompanied by a speed restruction or something to compensate for the difficulty in sighting?  Surely there is a more robust procedure than relying on drivers to report sighty problems?

All of the above....and don't call me Shirley!!  Grin (sorry, I know it's puerile, but I couldn't resist)

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 20:00:27 »

AIUI (as I understand it) the  system is  set up so that signal will never show red at the moment until properly fixed, so the sighting issue will not arise.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 20:05:58 »

AIUI (as I understand it) the  system is  set up so that signal will never show red at the moment until properly fixed, so the sighting issue will not arise.
A distant can never show a red aspect.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 20:21:29 »

Yes but the issue is not with the distant which is on a gantry.  The associated stop signal on the floor is the problem and will not show a red aspect so the issue of poor signal sighting will not arise.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 21:02:34 »

Sorry, but I was under the impression, from the original post here, that the cause for some concern is that the distant signal is no longer on a gantry?  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 22:47:01 »

Correct Chris. It's on a very small post to the left of the up mainline on a blind left hand curve, hence why the raised gantry provided additional sighting.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 22:56:05 »

Yes but the issue is not with the distant which is on a gantry.  The associated stop signal on the floor is the problem and will not show a red aspect so the issue of poor signal sighting will not arise.

If this is the case then presumably th headway is increased becuse you are effectively working double block.

Sorry, but I was under the impression, from the original post here, that the cause for some concern is that the distant signal is no longer on a gantry?  Roll Eyes

I must admit from I reading  the original post and the subsequent correction of the signal number that it was a reapter/distant UM 218R. Which makes sense as the SW end Dainton tunnel is at miles 217 64 chains. 218 in the siganl nmber being the mileage. Milage 198 is around Exminister.
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 13:41:02 »

Yes, my fault, I started the thread and it is UM 218R tied in with the mileage.

I assumed that this was a two aspect distant auto for UM218 so the sighting distance would be fairly important even though the normal train speed at this point is not very high.

I will have to look again next time I pass.

Thanks for all the comments.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: