15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Delayed
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 10:16:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[107] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[84] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[83] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[68] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[44] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[26] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ^101 return with railcard (Bristol to London)  (Read 6540 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2009, 14:16:47 »

I normally travel between Bristol and Portsmouth, so the prices from Bristol to London came as a bit of a shock.

An anytime return from Bristol TM(resolve) to Paddington is ^153, or ^101 with a railcard Shocked

My journey would have needed to be first thing tomorrow morning so no chance of any advance fares or off-peak discounts.

Just out of interest, I then looked at first class prices.  ^254 for a return in 1st class - so and extra ^101 just to be allowed to sit in a lounge with a free cup of tea on-board and a newspaper.

How on earth can FGW (First Great Western) justify such high prices on this journey?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 14:30:47 »

How on earth can FGW (First Great Western) justify such high prices on this journey?

People pay them!

It will probably be cheaper for you to split your ticket at Didcot Pakway, simply by ensuring that your train calls there.

Assuming you are retuning on the same day:
Bristol - Didcot SDR  @ ^42.60 (no railcard)
Didcot - Paddington SDR @ ^46.80 (no railcard)

Total ^89.40 (Applying 1/3 discount to that and it will cost roughly ^59)

From Bristol to London, the following call at Didcot Parkway:
0447, 0530, 0600, 0630, 0700, 0730, 0800, 0830
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 16:35:39 »

Alternatively, if you can avoid the peak hours back then buy a single up and an off peak or super off peak single back. It will then also be around ^100 before railcard deduction.

By the way, the 0830 may stop at Didcot but is now Off peak, so much cheaper.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 17:10:50 »

Thanks - both good replies that I'll remember for the future.

Have managed to get out of going to London this week (phew) so won't need to be robbing the bank!
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 17:32:29 »

Saver tickets are valid from Bristol to London on the 447

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 19:11:04 »

Its not just FGW that have to justify them though, its the rail industry in general, especially peak services in/out of London.

Birmingham - Euston
Sheffield - Pancras
Leeds - Kings Cross
Norwich - Liverpool Street

They are all of a similar price during peak hours.

As long as people pay the prices and there are no rules or boundries for the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s, then why will they change this and lose out on easy profit.

Here, there and Everywhere!!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 20:33:25 »

People pay them!

It will probably be cheaper for you to split your ticket at Didcot Pakway, simply by ensuring that your train calls there.

Assuming you are retuning on the same day:
Bristol - Didcot SDR  @ ^42.60 (no railcard)
Didcot - Paddington SDR @ ^46.80 (no railcard)

Total ^89.40 (Applying 1/3 discount to that and it will cost roughly ^59)

From Bristol to London, the following call at Didcot Parkway:
0447, 0530, 0600, 0630, 0700, 0730, 0800, 0830

I can trump those prices!

Bristol - Didcot.        Anytime Day Single(SDS)      ^21.30 (^14.05 RC)
Didcot - Paddington. Anytime Day Return(SDR)      ^46.80 (^30.90 RC)
Didcot - Bristol.        Super Off Peak Single(SSS)   ^14.30 (^ 9.45 RC) [valid on all evening sevices]

TOTAL:   ^82.40 (^54.40 RC)

There is a further potential saving by splitting the DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) return (SDR) into two singles. You can buy a DID-PAD SDS at ^24.00 (^15.85 RC) and a PAD-DID CDS (Off Peak Day Single [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) at ^19.90 (^13.15 RC). However the extra ^2.90 (^1.90 RC) saved leaves your evening departures from Paddington much reduced. Last direct to Bristol TM(resolve) at 1530 or 1930 onwards, by changing at Swindon the 1548, by changing at Didcot the 1622. Then there are stoppers to Didcot you can use at 1627 (change onto 1812 to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)), 1718 (onto 1842), 1725 (onto 1912), 1818 (onto 1942).

In summary, the cheapest you can do a day return to Paddington from Bristol Temple Meads out and return in the 'peaks' is ^79.50 (^52.50 RC). There are other journey options involving travel to BRI via BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) (a permitted route), but my heads starting to hurt. There's your fares simplification for you!!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 20:52:34 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 10:19:27 »

As stated before the fares structure is a mess.

Question, as I understand it TOCs (Train Operating Company) are supposed to sell you the cheapest ticket(s) for your journey. If the cheapest ticket involves a split shouldn't BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) sell the split tickets automatically provided the person catches a train which stops at the split station?

It would then be up to TMs(resolve) to police as now.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 10:43:25 »

. If the cheapest ticket involves a split shouldn't BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) sell the split tickets automatically provided the person catches a train which stops at the split station?

No, The rules are clear on this.  The ticket office is not allowed to offer you a split ticket, but if you ask for one, then they must sell it. 

(just imagne, if they were obliged to sell the split tickets, the whole situation would rapidly desend into a mess, the queques would lengthen and there they still might get it understandably wrong not sell you the cheapest combination - in which case you would have a casue for complaint. The solution of course is to remove the fare anomalies not to burden clerks with even more complexity)
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 12:15:57 »

The solution of course is to remove the fare anomalies ............

No !!!  These anomalies don't do much harm, if any, to the general travelling public - but they are of great benefit to those, like the denizens of this site, who know how to use the system to their financial benefit. Some fares will rise to remove the anomalies - but none will fall to benefit those who say they should be done away with.

Earlier in the summer I went to Paignton Zoo from Westbury; it cost me less for the train fare than it cost to park my car at Westbury. This may be an anomaly, but FGW (First Great Western)/Railtrack got a few quid out of me for fares, coffees etc. If I had to pay the "full" fare, I wouldn't have gone !
In fact, it was such a good day out I went again a few weeks later with my daughter - so the railway gained 3 times !
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 17:48:53 by moonrakerz » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 13:14:08 »

. If the cheapest ticket involves a split shouldn't BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) sell the split tickets automatically provided the person catches a train which stops at the split station?

No, The rules are clear on this.  The ticket office is not allowed to offer you a split ticket, but if you ask for one, then they must sell it. 

(just imagne, if they were obliged to sell the split tickets, the whole situation would rapidly desend into a mess, the queques would lengthen and there they still might get it understandably wrong not sell you the cheapest combination - in which case you would have a casue for complaint. The solution of course is to remove the fare anomalies not to burden clerks with even more complexity)

I've long since come to the conclusion that the answer is 42.

Therefore, I shall be listening to the 6th part of the HHG2TG trilogy on Radio 4 at 22:45 this evening and all week.

It will hopefully make more sense than the current fares system.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 15:13:35 »

The solution of course is to remove the fare anomalies ............

No !!!  These anomalies don't do much harm, if any, to the general travelling public

IMHO (in my humble opinion) They do a huge amount of harm to the industry.  They give headline writters a stick to beat the railway with
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 18:36:17 »

IMHO (in my humble opinion) They do a huge amount of harm to the industry.  They give headline writters a stick to beat the railway with

Does anyone really take much notice of the ill-informed drivel in the Daily Wail ?

Most of the anomalies are probably based on quite sound logic anyway, which have become submerged in the mists of time or have a fairly simple explanation if people really look at it.
If I wanted to go to B'ham tomorrow (I go via Worcester, for reasons that become obvious), according to the FGW (First Great Western) website I have a choice of 3 single fares to buy at this very moment: ^2.65; ^5.65 or ^15.70.  If I wait until the morning the only fare is ^15.70. Is that an anomaly ? I would say so.

The reason is: FGW run a train from the South coast to Gt Malvern (daft (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)?) maybe - but FGW didn't make the rules), is it unreasonable for FGW to try and attract people onto their services rather that split the revenue with another TOC (Train Operating Company) and perhaps even generate some extra traffic with give-away fares ?
Remove the anomaly - have everyone pay ^15.70 ? What does that do ? I don't go or I go by coach or by car ! The railway system in general loses out.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 09:38:07 »

I was put off travelling Bath to Darlington at the last minute (to attend a funeral on a Friday) .  I wanted to travel on the first train North and return the same afternoon.  I was fully prepared to pay a high fare (perhaps ^220 / ^250 or such like) only fares I could find were for something like ^350, so I didn't make the trip.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: