Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:51:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taunton - Cardiff  (Read 3191 times)
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2009, 14:53:50 »

Would a Taunton - Cardiff SDR be valid via Bath and Westbury?

I plan to buy the above ticket and want to travel Taunton - Cardiff - Reading.

What additional single ticket do I need to buy to get to Reading? Obviously the cheaper the better!
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 16:59:38 »

well if you want ultimate flexability with the added bonus of a ticket you can use for two extra days in the following week over a huge area freedom of Severn and Solent rover ^40.00 valid 3 out of 7 days which is valid from tivvy to bristol across to cardiff over to sailsbury southampton ... actually look at this http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Documents/Custom/Rovers%20Route%20Map%20South%20West.pdf and then a return from sailsbury to reading is about ^19

total ^59 but you get the bonus of 2 days extra travel within the blue routes on that map
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 17:07:00 »

Yep, I think so.

Firstly ticket is (assuming it hasn't changed since NFM03) routed Any Permitted.

According to my reading of the Routing Guide, the permitted routes between Taunton and Cardiff Centre (both routing points) are CE and CE+WE.

Map WE is basically the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) route between Paddington and Plymouth plus Castle Cary to Weymouth. CE is more extensive and does include the route from Westbury to Cardiff via the tunnel or Gloucester.

TLM
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 17:32:54 »

Good point Relex, if you are able to travel after 0900 or at a weekend (Rovers are not vaild before 0900 M-F) then the Rover might well be a good option, espally if you want to travel again off-peak later in the week.

autotank, you say you only want to travel Taunton > Cardiff > Reading. I'm assuming you need to get to Cardiff during the morning peak and then going on to Reading in the afternoon and stay there.

The cheapest way of doing this journey is a Day Single Taunton-Cardiff (SDS 19.80) plus an Super Off-Peak Single Cardiff-Reading (SSS 26.50) giving a cost of ^46.30.

If you want to get a Off-Peak Return (valid all day) from Taunton to Cardiff, that'll be 30.30 (SVR) plus either a Super Off-Peak Single to Reading from Bristol PW (Permanent Way) (19.50) or Westbury (17.50) gives a total of ^49.80 and ^47.80 respective.

So, I think really it depends if you want to come back to Taunton within the next month or not!

Cheers,
TLM
DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:41:31 »

Exeter to Cardiff can be done either VIA Bristol or VIA Westbury
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:08:14 »

It never ceases to amze me how members of the Coffee Shop manage to come up with weird and wonderful combinations of fares and routes to lessen the cost of rail travel.

There is also a thread on the board with comments on "who should set fares?"

It seems to me Coffee Shop members could be ones. Each time we woek out a cheaper fare than given by the various websites that becomes the Fare for that journey. So you buy one ticket and use the most convinient route.

Hang on a minute wasn't that how the BR (British Rail(ways)) fare manuals worked you had key fare hubs with fares to all other hubs and then you had the same or add on fares to stations within the hub areas. I realise there were anomolies when you travelled away from the hub  from the last station in a zone to the first station across a zone boundary so didn't go through either the of the hubs. Howerver these could be catered for by having an add on to cross the boundary, with the main fare being adjacent hub to adjacent hub.

Please shoot me down it seems too simple.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: