Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:24 Swansea to London Paddington
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:44:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[147] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[126] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[46] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[23] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 635341 times)
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: September 23, 2016, 19:10:54 »

There has been a communication to staff that no IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)/AT300 will have a buffet car. 
"Buffet provision on IEP/AT300s
All IEP/AT300s will have a full kitchen which will allow provision of a service of hot and cold food and
drink. In line with our customer research we will provide a trolley service in standard class and we will
continue to provide Pullman services on the IEP/AT300 trains.
We have worked with Hitachi to establish the costs and seating changes required to provide a buffet on
these trains. The cost of achieving this on the IEP fleet under construction, retrofitting vehicles in trains
already manufactured and the AT300 trains is substantial. It would also require the removal of 16 seats
from each train, meaning fewer seats for customers during busy times. These works would also delay
the trains’ introduction and thus the extra seats and services for our customers would also be delayed.
As such, the procurement of the IEP/AT300 buffet cars would not be the correct decision for our customers or funders"

In otherwords.  The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) got involved and told GWR (Great Western Railway) that losing 16 seats to a buffet car means they would not provide the required seating capacity.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:27:34 by a-driver » Logged
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: September 23, 2016, 21:19:17 »

Forgive me if I am missing something, but I have yet to see a trolley in Standard Class on any GWR (Great Western Railway) HST (High Speed Train) service to or from the Westcountry - and it would be pointless having one on any service out of PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) after 4pm during the week anyway as it wouldn't get very far!

Standard Class trolley services is available between(sometimes Plymouth) but mostly Exeter St Davids to Paddington, currently only serving snacks and hot beverages(tea/instant coffee) with anything else needing to be ordered at the Buffet Car.

Up services that I know include this are:
From Exeter
08:41 (*from Bristol Temple Meads)
09:57
11:39(Cornish Riviera)

From Paddington
11:06(The Mayflower)
15:06(The Cornishman)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 23, 2016, 22:26:47 »

Thanks for that extra detail, a-driver.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TRAINMAN57

View Profile Email
« Reply #1188 on: September 23, 2016, 22:36:42 »

Forgive me if I am missing something, but I have yet to see a trolley in Standard Class on any GWR (Great Western Railway) HST (High Speed Train) service to or from the Westcountry - and it would be pointless having one on any service out of PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) after 4pm during the week anyway as it wouldn't get very far!

Standard Class trolley services is available between(sometimes Plymouth) but mostly Exeter St Davids to Paddington, currently only serving snacks and hot beverages(tea/instant coffee) with anything else needing to be ordered at the Buffet Car.

Up services that I know include this are:
From Exeter
08:41 (*from Bristol Temple Meads)
09:57
11:39(Cornish Riviera)

From Paddington
11:06(The Mayflower)
15:06(The Cornishman)

Just too clarify its the 11.33 ex Pad and its backworkings the 14.53 ex Exeter.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 24, 2016, 16:38:53 »

Clarify what? These are the service I know trolley's are available in standard class, none of them are meant to be return workings. Smiley
TRAINMAN57

View Profile Email
« Reply #1190 on: September 24, 2016, 16:44:16 »

Clarify what? These are the service I know trolley's are available in standard class, none of them are meant to be return workings. Smiley

11.06 ex Pad doesn`t have a standard trolley on, it is the 11.33 and its return workings.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: September 25, 2016, 20:28:36 »

There has been a communication to staff that no IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)/AT300 will have a buffet car. 
"Buffet provision on IEP/AT300s
All IEP/AT300s will have a full kitchen which will allow provision of a service of hot and cold food and
drink. In line with our customer research we will provide a trolley service in standard class and we will
continue to provide Pullman services on the IEP/AT300 trains.
We have worked with Hitachi to establish the costs and seating changes required to provide a buffet on
these trains. The cost of achieving this on the IEP fleet under construction, retrofitting vehicles in trains
already manufactured and the AT300 trains is substantial. It would also require the removal of 16 seats
from each train, meaning fewer seats for customers during busy times. These works would also delay
the trains’ introduction and thus the extra seats and services for our customers would also be delayed.
As such, the procurement of the IEP/AT300 buffet cars would not be the correct decision for our customers or funders"

In otherwords.  The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) got involved and told GWR (Great Western Railway) that losing 16 seats to a buffet car means they would not provide the required seating capacity.

As others have remarked, we have known for some years that the IEPs wont have a buffet, and I cynically forecast this downgrade long before it was admitted.
It is indeed too late to add a buffet to the trains already built, or nearly built, despite the ability to easily retrofit a buffet being "an essential requirement"

I think however that the above quote may be the first official admission that the yet to be built AT300s will also have no buffet. So much for these being higher specification trains, for the longer journeys !
IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) several respected members answered my whinges about the "trolley only" IEPs by pointing out that the "higher specification AT300s will be designed for Penzance and other longer routes and COULD have a buffet car"
I never really expected a buffet, but now it is confirmed that even long distance trains will suffer the same downgrade as the others.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 25, 2016, 20:44:56 »

I'm guessing if you asked people would they prefer a buffet or more seating capacity, most would opt for the latter?

A buffet is handy for those getting on at smaller stations on longer journeys but if you're boarding at Paddington/Reading/Taunton/Exeter/Plymouth/Truro etc there are plenty of options to obtain provisions before getting on board either at the station or nearby - more cheaply and in most cases much better value and healthier!

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: September 25, 2016, 21:58:00 »

I'm guessing if you asked people would they prefer a buffet or more seating capacity, most would opt for the latter?

I'm guessing if you asked people would they prefer a kitchen or more seating capacity that most would opt for the latter.  I'm also guessing if you asked people whether they would prefer a buffet for all, or a kitchen for first class they'd say the buffet for all.

Routes such as Bristol and the north and south Cotswolds really don't need a buffet in this day and age for the reasons you state, but from my experience of the Cornish services the buffet car remains a popular option and it's rare not to see someone stood ordering something - a trip back from Cornwall a few months ago saw an apologetic announcement at Westbury saying they'd sold all the hot food, and that was after a restock had taken place at Plymouth.

A shame in my opinion.  How much of a shame will depend on how the trolley service is provided on the new trains and how often the kitchens are used.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 25, 2016, 23:39:27 »

A buffet is handy for those getting on at smaller stations on longer journeys but if you're boarding at Paddington/Reading/Taunton/Exeter/Plymouth/Truro etc there are plenty of options to obtain provisions before getting on board either at the station or nearby - more cheaply and in most cases much better value and healthier!

I think that you are correct, but I would observe-

Firstly, back in the good old days we had trains with enough seats AND a buffet, it was not a choice of enough seats OR a buffet.

And secondly, of course passengers want more seats ! BUT this oft repeated desire for more seats has been interpreted by the railway industry as a desire for fewer toilets, high density seating, fewer tables, reduced catering and less luggage space.
I do not recall many calls from passengers for reduced legroom and fewer facilities.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 26, 2016, 10:47:14 »

I'd rather have a trolley service that trekking to a buffet. If I've got valuables in my baggage I wont be leaving it unattended so wont patron the buffet. If that's at my seat I may well spend some money on board.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TRAINMAN57

View Profile Email
« Reply #1196 on: September 26, 2016, 11:14:24 »

I'd rather have a trolley service that trekking to a buffet. If I've got valuables in my baggage I wont be leaving it unattended so wont patron the buffet. If that's at my seat I may well spend some money on board.
While i totally agree re valuables, you cannot get away from the fact on Pad-Pnz services the trolley will not be able to go through! It will be a case of a static trolley usually in coach A, its a case of GWR (Great Western Railway) not caring what happens beyond BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: September 26, 2016, 20:16:07 »

This was published on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) website today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lML1pLI_heQ&sns=fb

Have your hanky ready Tongue
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: September 26, 2016, 20:27:14 »

This was published on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) website today:

Very regrettable.
And despite the facility to retrofit a buffet being "an essential requirement" of the new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) I don't think that anyone believes that this will happen.
So long distance travellers are stuck with a no buffet, high density interurban DMU for a generation at least. how is that for progress.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 26, 2016, 20:43:09 »

Top video clip, very sad but well worth watching.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: