26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 21:57:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 634681 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: December 10, 2013, 02:18:41 »

I suspect the TT is correct, and the website needs updating

I pointed out menu changes to FGW (First Great Western), as well as the forthcoming changes to the times of TC(resolve) services via their (becoming increasingly worse since Serco arrived) Facebook team back in mid-November.

If the TC services to Bristol TM(resolve) have been withdrawn and the 0845 moved, then someone needs to also inform the team responsible for the 'Mixing Deck' booking engine used by FGW and others. This still shows the 'hot buffet' symbol for the 0930 & 1030 from Paddington. It also shows a 'hot buffet' on the 0815 to Cardiff which isn't on printed timetables. Finally, the departure times for the two TC services from Hereford are now different.

Quite why the changes haven't been communicated to the team responsible for the website, I have no idea. If FGW want folk to use the TC services the least they can do is advertise them correctly, with the correct menu.

FGW. Excellent at cooking up a dog's breakfast, not so good at advertising availability of a Full English one.  Tongue

The 'Current Timetables' page is still set for May to December 8th 2013 as well  Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 10, 2013, 06:17:56 »

The 'Current Timetables' page is still set for May to December 8th 2013 as well  Roll Eyes
I had expected this to be removed yesterday now the new timetable is underway. The Planned changes page, which really does look like a dogs breakfast, could do with being made more user friendly as listing every alteration over Christmas makes it very user unfriendly. Why not just one link that links to the informative Christmas and New Year alterations page, which now also has links to pdf of the timetable booklets. Back to the Planned changes page, they could start tidying this page up by removing out of date service changes.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 10, 2013, 20:24:31 »

I looked at the FGW (First Great Western) website earlier as I have to go to London tomorrow and I was surprised to see the old timetable still there and no large print for the new timetable (not that I personally need the large print).

Mind you I find the FGW website increasingly less helpful. You get a map with routes shown in "red" but no real explanation as to what's happening until you go to a specific train; even that is less helpful than before as it used to show departures and arrivals along the journey. I just find the whole exercise a subtle effort to reduce the flow of information.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 10, 2013, 20:27:32 »

I used to quite like the old microwaveable bacon rolls; they tasted OK. I don't want to have to stand at the buffet for 10 or more minutes whilst the Travelling Chef personally prepares my bacon baguette. My last one was a bit fatty (the baguette that is, not me).
John R

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 10, 2013, 20:38:31 »

Personal choice of course, but I thought the new baguettes were a huge improvement.  A crispy baguette or a soggy microwaved roll? No contest.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 10, 2013, 20:41:17 »

But my rolls were never soggy and the bacon always seemed better. And on a dark winter's morning, when I've had to get up early to get the train, I need my coffee and bacon fix quick.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 11, 2013, 09:51:55 »

all fgw buffets are equipped with a merrychef convection oven  there is No Microwave

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #472 on: December 11, 2013, 10:49:52 »

I see a microwave in the micro-buffets (I think)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 15, 2013, 23:51:11 »

I see a microwave in the micro-buffets (I think)

Nope - same oven as per big buffets.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 16, 2013, 05:23:32 »

These Merrychef combination ovens do use microwaves, in addition to convection heat and air impingement.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 16, 2013, 07:34:40 »

Travelling Chef last week. Poor photo I'm sorry. But Cheese on Toast with a side order of mushooms Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 16, 2013, 11:03:04 »

There was a nice piece on Radio 4 about the Pullman service, last Friday on 'You and Yours' about 20 minutes in. Pete Waterman was one of the guests waxing fulsome about the service and the view from his window at Dawlish...and the food.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01nbyl1
higthomas

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 17, 2013, 22:23:41 »

In reply to my previous question, it is apparently the time table that is wrong, not the internet page
"Hi

Apologies for delay in getting back to you. I can confirm that the 09:57 and 10:57 (from reading) both have a Travelling Chef service on board.

Unfortunately there is a mistake in the timetable. Apologies for this.

-Ollie"
seems like some good news to me or lack of bad news
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 29, 2013, 17:05:41 »

No travelling chefs until January 4th Sad

Quote from: Paul @ FGW (First Great Western) (First Great Western) Facebook Page
There is no travelling chef service until 4 January when it will be back to the usual advertised times. Paul

Grin Grin Grin Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #479 on: December 29, 2013, 17:34:07 »

That is as stated in their Christmas leaflet.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: