Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 26 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 01:11:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 116
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling Chef, Pullman - ongoing discussion  (Read 634456 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: October 01, 2014, 23:41:47 »

I still prefer their sobriquet, the Trundling Trenchermen ...  Wink Cheesy

And looking back through this thread to when you first used that sobriquet, I quite like my response: 'bumbling bon viveurs'.   Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 01, 2014, 23:45:13 »

It's very tempting just for the hell of it to board it at Swindon one day and head into South Wales just to try it out.  It's around 10 years since I did lunch on the up SW Pullman and very good that was. 

I can think of no better reason than "for the hell of it."

Go for it. You won't be disappointed.  Cheesy

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #812 on: October 01, 2014, 23:49:32 »

I now declare 'sobriquet' to be my word for the day on this forum.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 02, 2014, 05:01:32 »

In a vague attempt to get back on topic, I declare my word of the day to be kedgeree!  Grin
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 02, 2014, 21:32:36 »

Full Welsh Breakfast: Bacon, sausage, Welsh black pudding, Glamorgan 'sausage', fried egg on fried bread, mushrooms, beans. I forewent the grilled tomato. Me not like

I recognise this as being the only positive item posted to the FGW (First Great Western) facebook wall!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 05, 2014, 12:21:00 »

Following a word from bignosemac the FGW (First Great Western) website has been updated to show the Welsh breakfast is officially available for customers joining up to and including Swindon, while on the return trip the brunch is available to Cardiff Central.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #816 on: October 05, 2014, 14:49:56 »

Travelling Chef told me yesterday (why was there ine on the 1524 ex-Taunton yesterday? Seems very late to eat & indeed, did very little business) that the last day is November 11....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 05, 2014, 15:14:07 »

Opportunity for a late lunch from 1400 ex Plymouth, and likely a return working for London based TC(resolve).

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #818 on: October 05, 2014, 15:23:35 »

Who alighted at Reading....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 05, 2014, 15:28:32 »

Interesting. No catering mess room or FGW (First Great Western) Rail Gourmet facilities at Reading as far as I'm aware. Were the kitchen modules also unloaded at Reading?

Perhaps the chef lives in the Reading area and is permitted to start and/or finish his/her shift there.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #820 on: October 05, 2014, 16:50:59 »

All the catering staff alighted - without modules.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 07, 2014, 22:00:04 »

Another item from the brunch menu - Eggs Benedict..

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 07, 2014, 22:01:27 »

I'm salivating at the though of that Hollandaise...

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 07, 2014, 22:25:27 »

Just be careful not to spill it down your top..... Wink
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 11, 2014, 09:08:06 »

2 Pullmans in the past few days.

The 06:55 Plymouth - London Paddington Working

Start with Coffee and Orange Juice (with bits in Angry )

The Menu:

Starter Course - Natural Yogurt with Dorset Cereals and Honey:

Main: Spinach on Fried Bread, Potato filled spicy thing in Breadcrumbs, Egg, Mushrooms & Tomato (Declined the tomato as I am partly allergic)

And finally... What a way to start the day:

The service was fantastic and the food delicious. The Chef I believe was Plymouth Based ex Traveling Chef guy who has served me much food over time. Sadly due to a very high state of Anxiety I was unable to finish the main breakfast course. The crew were quite concerned that I hadn't finished but i assured them nothing was wrong with the food.

Will post Return working on 19:00 over the course of the day.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 116
  Print  

Jump to: