Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 04:45:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol connections: Metro, Bus Rapid Transit, PTE, ITA and local councils - discussion  (Read 286384 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2012, 20:29:38 »

I've just realised how long it has been since I left my employment in Bemmie, overlooking the station. Turning back there was the norm then, using the line closest to Victoria Park, with the driver walking along the platform to change ends. We also had the view of the Orient Express, down for washing, I think.  I should get out more!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 19:35:45 by Four Track Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2012, 20:42:47 »

You wouldn't get any trains very far down that particular length of track now: it's all overgrown with bluddy buddleia!

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2012, 19:34:30 »

I'll get a new string for me strimmer.

A letter to the Evening Post:

AS A former railway man, I am writing to comment on a recently announced proposal, to bring the old Brunel Train Shed at Bristol Temple Meads back into use, as the terminus of the post-2016 London route electric trains.

Although this sounds like a nice idea, it is, unfortunately, operationally barmy. This is because it entails a wasteful use of limited capacity. And we need all the capacity we can get, if we are to have improved local services, under the other recently announced (all council backed) concept of a Bristol Metro network.

How Brunel's Train Shed could look with electric trains

It would add to the number of platforms, but they still have to be used sensibly, according to the direction of travel of the various services.

Put simply, the Shed is on the left, and via Bath, London trains turn right, so there is conflict with all left-turning services (the busiest exit from Temple Meads, with trains for Parkway, Cardiff, and Birmingham etc).

This is not a problem currently, because London via Bath trains mostly use platforms on the right hand side of the station.

I wrote to Great Western Trains to ask where they stand on this vital issue. 'No comment at this time' was their response.

I interpret this as meaning they know my caveat is valid, but dare not say so, for 'political reasons'.

J A G**** (British Rail Western Region civil engineer, 1968-93)
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Brunel-s-old-train-shed-Temple-Meads-wrong-place/story-15992939-detail/story.html

Not sure if this chap has it right.  My latest understanding is that the trains using the Brunel Shed will go via Bristol Parkway. Trains via Bath and 'Nam will continue to use platforms over the east side of BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)), as now, without posing any inconvenience for any other train. Writing to FGW (First Great Western) for details of a route they may not even be involved with, depending on franchise, would be unlikely to elicit a response.

Like the picture! I look forward to seeing the real thing.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2012, 22:44:06 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

South Bristol rapid transit route consultation starts

It is hoped the route will help cut congestion and encourage new businesses to set up in south Bristol

People are being invited to have their say on plans for the south Bristol section of the West of England rapid transit network.

The route aims to link Long Ashton Park and Ride to the new hospital, Skills Academy, the shops at Imperial Park and leisure centre at Hengrove Way.

It will have fast boarding and smartcard ticketing linking with wider bus and railway services.

A planning application is due to be submitted in the autumn.

The route will link into the wider rapid transit network with direct access to Bristol city centre and along the M32 to Cribbs Causeway and Emersons Green in the north of the area.

But campaigners opposing the proposed south Bristol link road say it is a "staggering" waste of public money.

They say the cost of the 3.1 mile (5km) road is ^43.1m and works out as more than ^8,600 per metre.

Bristol City and North Somerset Councils are contributing some ^15m towards the cost of the road with other funding coming from the Department for Transport.

Bristol City Council said the road would help "unlock" south Bristol.

"We want to make it easier for local people to get into the city centre for work, leisure and retail facilities and to encourage investment in south Bristol," said a spokesperson.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2012, 08:34:04 »

I'm afraid I side with the "staggering waste of money" side of this argument. Look at the timing - the "Best and Final" funding bid was submitted just before "Green Light for Light Rail" rolled off the presses. Now Bristol has the dubious distinction of being the only city to vote for a mayor, and will probably have money lavished on it to upset the other nine. What better time to go to Downing Street to ask for permission to upgrade to light rail? Not only that, reading through the objections lodged with the public inquiry here, I don't think the Bus Rabid Transit is a done deal yet. It looks as though the whole process has been botched.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2012, 09:11:13 »

I concur with your sentiments regarding the Mayor and how he or she may well be supported by the Coalition Government.

Looks like the 13% of the total electorate in Bristol who voted for a directly elected Mayor could well have set the ball rolling for some very interesting transport related capital expenditure projects in the city in the coming years.

Let's hope Bus Rapid Transit goes no further than what's already funded, or gets quietly dropped, and the emphasis is shifted toward Light and Heavy Rail.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2012, 16:26:47 »

I concur with your sentiments regarding the Mayor and how he or she may well be supported by the Coalition Government.

Looks like the 13% of the total electorate in Bristol who voted for a directly elected Mayor could well have set the ball rolling for some very interesting transport related capital expenditure projects in the city in the coming years.

Let's hope Bus Rapid Transit goes no further than what's already funded, or gets quietly dropped, and the emphasis is shifted toward Light and Heavy Rail.

I have to agree with Bignosemac here especially if anyone takes a good hard look at the FTR (Fitness To Run) metro service First currently operate in Swansea.

The services was ok when it first started and I myself was a big fan of it and still am a bit although I would have much rather prefered a proper tram or perhaps somethinglike a low floor parry people mover with services runninng all the way down to oystermouth/mumbles.

Sadly to save some costs First have been using a standard bus at times on weekdays and weekends.

I personally do hope they see sense in Bristol and go for a tram option and we dont have the farce like last time ligh rail was proposed in Bristol.

Hopefully as well we get to see the local lines around Bristol electrified aand new emu's brought in to work services along with extra carriages on other routes such as Cardiff - Portsmouth hbr.

One final hope is that they sort out the current bus network in Bristol with the high price of fares
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2012, 18:52:21 »

Amen to that, Anthony. First have already said that they will use normal buses much of the time, and of course this unglorified bus lane will be open to most of the other services coming from Portishead, WSM, etc. They will be normal bus, too. The paint on the bus lane in Hotwells Road is hardly dry, but that will be hardly used if this daft idea goes ahead. The ressies of Cumberland Road are up in arms, as that will become No Parking Ever, and a lot of the houses have no off-street provision. And when Portishead rail line reopens to passengers, a lot of the folk who currently park at Long Ashton will be able to leave the car at home.

Now I seem to recall that the Chancellor said he was allocating the money  with the proviso that there was no great opposition to the scheme - I guess he doesn't want to see the cost racked up with having to coax protesters out of trees and holes. Between that, and Bristol City Council's traditional incompetence, this may yet die a death. I have a great aversion to seeing railway lines ripped up for anything other than putting down new ones.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 20:32:56 by Four Track Now! » Logged

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2012, 20:09:23 »

Surely with ^43million you could do quite alot with the Portishead branch with intermediate stops in south Bristol.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2012, 20:34:33 »

^43 million would pay for the reopening, with no frills. Or so the GRIP3 report on the line suggests.

Now, please!
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2012, 22:26:01 »

Yes lets hope if Bristol gets a mayor  in November he or she will have some sense and scrap the stupid FTR (Fitness To Run) scheme in Bristol.

I do hope they can get the Portishead branch re-opened although that said considering Bristol is the only city to have said yes to having a directly elected mayor I can see the government being generous with funding just to show the cities who voted no what they are missing out on.

anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2012, 11:40:11 »

There was a good piece about the Bristol Metro proposals in the latest issue of Rail.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2012, 13:39:34 »

considering Bristol is the only city to have said yes to having a directly elected mayor I can see the government being generous with funding just to show the cities who voted no what they are missing out on.

That's a very astute comment, if I may say so! I hadn't thought if it like that. Bet you're spot on, as well. Interesting!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2012, 13:58:54 »

On the other hand, the Bristol Mayor might find the opposite, that because on a national basis most people voted against it, there won't be any extra funding at all.  Are DfT» (Department for Transport - about) really going to be running a special scheme just for Bristol?

Paul
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2012, 14:05:54 »

On the other hand, the Bristol Mayor might find the opposite, that because on a national basis most people voted against it, there won't be any extra funding at all.  Are DfT» (Department for Transport - about) really going to be running a special scheme just for Bristol?

Paul

As I said in my previous comments it could go either way but a part of me does agree with your statement Paul however I would hope it would go the other way.

I would like to see Bristol get additional funding and the mayor spend it on better things that BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) such as re-opening Portishead and electrifying the local branchlines around Bristol although then we will have to wonder where will the emu's come from unless if as expected some of the class 315's are displaced from East Anglia by crossrail for use on the Cardiff Valley Lines perhaps there may be some of them available.

Still as others have said I can see things getting very interesting in Bristol over the new few months & years.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: