Delayed
29/04/24 21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
29/04/24 22:00 Bristol Temple Meads to Exeter St Davids
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 00:52:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol connections: Metro, Bus Rapid Transit, PTE, ITA and local councils - discussion  (Read 286486 times)
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: September 14, 2016, 21:27:09 »

... you'd need to overcome a considerable gradient to reach the airport at 622 feet above sea level within a very constrained route.  Roll Eyes

Never stopped the Swiss.  All we have to decide is Abt, Riggenbach or Strub* rack system. (I can have flights of fancy as good as anyone.  Cheesy)

*Other systems are available
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #616 on: September 14, 2016, 21:39:36 »

We already have an underused railway line (the one to Weston super Mare) and the missing track between Blackwell and the airport can be as short as 3 miles. so whats the problem?

Two things: it's Backwell, not Blackwell; and you'd need to overcome a considerable gradient to reach the airport at 622 feet above sea level within a very constrained route.  Roll Eyes

Gradient would be 1 in 29 ... same as Blackfriars to London City Link.   But that's all the way.     Not the most likely solution, but I suspect it could be done on adhesion with the right stock.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #617 on: September 14, 2016, 21:50:35 »

I'd be really interested to see a proposal for any realistic heavy rail, or indeed tram, route covering just three miles between Nailsea & Backwell Station and Bristol Airport.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 14, 2016, 23:04:24 »

The article seems to include the possibility of a tram route following the course of the A Road if I've read it right. That would cost a bit. Perhaps the airport, who will financially benefit, should chip into the cost of any preferred option. Mind you, I'm talking as if there was any real chance of this happening.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 14, 2016, 23:19:55 »

The article seems to include the possibility of a tram route following the course of the A Road if I've read it right. That would cost a bit. Perhaps the airport, who will financially benefit, should chip into the cost of any preferred option. Mind you, I'm talking as if there was any real chance of this happening.

Of course it could be one of those exercises where you go through the motions to get the answer that you want (i.e. that trams are too expensive unless they are paid for by Westminster), a bit like the report on whether MetroWest should be electrified with local money. 

It's not inconceivable though that it might suggest that the Bus Rapid Transit could be built to the airport, and that it should have a nice shiny new road through the fields as the A38 is too congested.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 15, 2016, 07:35:55 »

Another Metrobust, to the airport? That sent a cold shiver down my spine!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 15, 2016, 07:53:41 »

Now that Hinkley looks like going ahead , couldn't we ask the Chinese for some new shiny trams in a rather tasteful shade of fluorescent green, with orange uranium trim ?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #622 on: September 15, 2016, 08:27:30 »

Now that Hinkley looks like going ahead , couldn't we ask the Chinese for some new shiny trams in a rather tasteful shade of fluorescent green, with orange uranium trim ?

Might the natural route for a rail link to Lulsgate Airport might now be south-facing - a somewhat longer (so less steeply graded) one through open countryside to Worle or Yatton, with direct train services every 30 minutes to Weston-super-mare, Bridgwater and Taunton.   With the local train that terminates at Weston from Bristol extended on to Taunton too, that gives a half-hourly service to each of Lulsgate and Temple Meads from Bridgwater, and a much improved Weston - Bridgewater service to tap in on the employment and accommodation pool in Weston for Hinkley.     Passengers landing at Lulsgate for Bristol City Centre would have an easy change at Worle which already has a wheelchair friendly bridge, and if Cross Country stopped at Worle too that would give the airport easy links to the Cheltenham Spa area,  and Taunton and west, with a single change and without the need to use the congested space from the airport down the hill into Bristol.   Written tongue in cheek ... yet the more I write ...  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 15, 2016, 11:48:07 »

Passengers landing at Lulsgate for Bristol City Centre currently have a bus service every 15 minutes, and the bus station is more central than Temple Meads, too. In fact it's a better service than many of the Bristol urban routes. So the only benefit I see from a train between BRS (Business Rates Supplement) and BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) would be if it were very much quicker or cheaper, and I doubt if either of those would be the case, particularly if it started off heading south. Of course not all air passengers are heading to/from the city, but a sensible place to start might be looking at the airport's data for where passengers originate, if it has that (I'd expect airlines are more likely to know than the airport), and factoring in growth of regional airports, peak plane, etc etc.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 15, 2016, 22:05:21 »

My guess is that there will be a dilution of the grand announcements to a study into the feasibility of a shuttle bus/coach from Nailsea and Backwell station. It would mean needing a lot more trains stopping there, which the local populace would like. It would also mean a lot more local bus/coach traffic, which may not go down so well.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #625 on: September 15, 2016, 23:01:26 »

It would also require some considerable reconfiguration of the access road / turning bay / waiting area.

The station car park at Nailsea & Backwell has only recently been extended - and that took years and years of campaigning, delays and protests from local residents.

I can't see a shuttle bus/ coach happening.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 16, 2016, 02:04:12 »

It would also require some considerable reconfiguration of the access road / turning bay / waiting area.

The station car park at Nailsea & Backwell has only recently been extended - and that took years and years of campaigning, delays and protests from local residents.

I can't see a shuttle bus/ coach happening.  Lips sealed

And despite nearly tripling in size, I noticed on wed is within a few cars of being full again, just 2 years later.

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 23:45:54 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #627 on: September 16, 2016, 06:21:27 »

My guess is that there will be a dilution of the grand announcements to a study into the feasibility of a shuttle bus/coach from Nailsea and Backwell station. It would mean needing a lot more trains stopping there, which the local populace would like. It would also mean a lot more local bus/coach traffic, which may not go down so well.

Wasn't an (A2) bus tried from Nailsea and Backwell Station to the airport - http://www.nailseatowncouncil.gov.uk/documents/A2%20bus%20service%20parish%20council%20web%20copy.pdf
and
https://www.firstgroup.com/uploads/maps/Service_A2_web_0.pdf

The new A2 ‘Link’ bus service is ideal for anyone travelling to and around the centre of North Somerset. As well as linking Nailsea, Backwell, Bristol Airport, Congresbury, Claverham and Yatton, the A2 connects to major bus and rail routes providing convenient connections to Bristol and Weston-super Mare – it’s perfect for commuter journeys, local trips, leisure and shopping.

The service is designed to help people get to and from work in the area more easily. Operating Monday to Friday, between 5.07am to 12.15pm and 3.50pm and 6.45pm, the A2 runs hourly on a loop in both directions linking Nailsea, Backwell, Bristol Airport, Congresbury, Claverham and Yatton.

My understanding is that it has now morphed into something completely different, having been a quiet service north of the airport due (perhaps) to limited frequency and limited publicity even though it offered good value fares from / to the airport.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:46:31 by grahame » Logged

trainer

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 16, 2016, 08:31:25 »

This potentially useful service went past my front door for a short time, first journey at 05:40 but as the last departure to Clevedon was at about 6pm there was no usefulness if you had a later flight arrival. It was better if you wanted to get to Nailsea and Backwell station, but what was the point since, as has been pointed out, there is a 24hr frequent bus connection with Temple Meads and Bristol Bus station. The A2 now tries to fulfill the dual roles of an airport connection to Weston-super-Mare and be a village bus service and operates only between the airport and W-s-M. Most people don't want the 'run-around' before or after their hols or business meeting.

On the few occasions I used the A2 I was the only passenger between the airport and Backwell so it never (hem hem) took off with the paying public in that direction. Serving rural areas with buses in a generally affluent area is a big challenge.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 08:57:16 by trainer » Logged
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 16, 2016, 10:19:45 »

Might the natural route for a rail link to Lulsgate Airport might now be south-facing - a somewhat longer (so less steeply graded) one through open countryside to Worle or Yatton, with direct train services every 30 minutes to Weston-super-mare, Bridgwater and Taunton.   With the local train that terminates at Weston from Bristol extended on to Taunton too, that gives a half-hourly service to each of Lulsgate and Temple Meads from Bridgwater, and a much improved Weston - Bridgewater service to tap in on the employment and accommodation pool in Weston for Hinkley.     Passengers landing at Lulsgate for Bristol City Centre would have an easy change at Worle which already has a wheelchair friendly bridge, and if Cross Country stopped at Worle too that would give the airport easy links to the Cheltenham Spa area,  and Taunton and west, with a single change and without the need to use the congested space from the airport down the hill into Bristol.   Written tongue in cheek ... yet the more I write ...  Grin

Well, you may jest, but there's the old Strawberry Line alignment ready made out of Yatton Station, space for a southern side to the triangle, a reasonably clear alignment and plenty of land to the north of the Airport that you could build a station on (potentially as the basement of a new terminal building or car park). By my reckoning it needs about 6km of new track, mostly through woodland and you'd have to climb about 120m (assuming that the station was in a fairly deep box), which shouldn't be too taxing, particularly for electric stock.

It would obviously work well as a part of the Bristol Metro, and with a direct link to Weston it would tick lots of boxes for North Somerset Council. So that's basically all the local authorities benefiting (Bristol, South Glouc, BANES, North Somerset), so they might finally have a transport project they all agree with and feel they can contribute too.

Of course the big issue is that finding an alignment through well-heeled outer suburbs is going to be tricky, and the lower part of the alignment is about 10m above sea level, so even tunnelling may not be that straightfoward. It would also probably need to be electrified.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45
  Print  

Jump to: