18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 02:41:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol connections: Metro, Bus Rapid Transit, PTE, ITA and local councils - discussion  (Read 286329 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: May 21, 2015, 12:14:18 »

The roundabout next to St Mary, Redcliff(e) is Redcliffe Roundabout.

The other roundabouts you refer to are Bedminster Bridge Roundabout (which spans the New Cut, so it isn't exactly 'the other side' of the river) and the Temple Circus Gyratory (which thankfully will be replaced by a crossroads soon).

Incidentally the Redcliffe Way Bascule bridge has never swung, not even occasionally - bascule bridges lift, in the manner of Tower Bridge. Wink

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 21, 2015, 13:35:53 »

Well, when it lifts, it swings up in the air, doesn't it?  Wink

The Temple Circus gyratory doesn't seem to have lasted long. Or probably it's been there longer than I'm thinking, but it does seem to have been a short-lived intermediary between the old roundabout with flyover and what's to replace it. I think I once cycled over that flyover, for more or less the only reason that it was banned.  Roll Eyes

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 21, 2015, 14:39:32 »

The Temple Circus gyratory doesn't seem to have lasted long.

It was a nonsense from the day it was conceived - a bit like MetroBus, really, only cheaper. Sadly, in Bristol the Powers that Be seem to have tin ears.

I think I once cycled over that flyover, for more or less the only reason that it was banned.  Roll Eyes

That seems like a very good reason. I once drove over it at 50mph, for the same reason. Very exciting to judge the apices of the curves, given the threepenny-bit nature of its construction.

Wait a moment: you think you cycled over it? Surely you'd know? Unless...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 21, 2015, 22:09:55 »

Cheesy Well, I know I rode over it on my motorbike on several occasions ^ that could be thrilling enough, even at legal speeds ^ and I certainly thought about cycling over it. On the whole, I'm glad it's gone, though. Make that, I'm wholly glad it's gone.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 22, 2015, 20:55:42 »

I was once meeting with someone in a room on the third floor of the Grosvenor, when a truck of some sort went past, scraping the side of the flyover. Like chalk on a new blackboard, it's a sound that remains in the unpleasant part of the memory.

Do you remember also the army of traffic wardens deployed at strategic junctions at rush hour to help keep the traffic gridlocked? Or the day they were redeployed instead to book drivers parking where they shouldn't, on which day I got to work early? It started as an experiment that lasted a week before an army of arm-wavers was replaced by a couple of sets of traffic lights.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 07, 2015, 13:46:40 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Bristol Metrobus services 'reduced to three an hour'

Services on a planned "rapid transit" bus route in Bristol could be reduced from five an hour to three, documents seen by the BBC suggest.

The ^200m Metrobus scheme is due to begin in 2017, with buses using segregated lanes.

But a draft contract drawn up suggests services are being cut from the original plan.

The West of England Partnership (WEP) said three per hour was the "minimum requirement".

Tim Kent, the Liberal Democrat transport lead when the scheme was first agreed in 2011, said the current contract had "backtracked from four years ago".

'More ambitious'

He added buses would be "a lot less frequent on certain routes" with a "scheme not living up to what was promised".
The ^200m project has been devised by the WEP - an alliance between the four councils in Bristol, Bath, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset.

The scheme involves three routes: Ashton Vale to Temple Meads; Cribbs Causeway via Emersons Green to the city centre; South Bristol link between the A370 Long Ashton bypass and Hengrove Park.

The contract, seen by BBC Radio Bristol's Chris Brierley also suggests fares could be up to ^7 a day, and buses less environmentally friendly than first agreed. Currently a day pass costs ^4.40.

A consultation on the agreement is under way.

Labour's former transport lead, Mark Bradshaw, said: "What we need is a really high quality, higher frequency network which connects key destinations across the Bristol city region."

He said he wanted operators to "come back with something more ambitious" than the minimum of three services and hour.
Campaigners against the Metrobus scheme recently occupied allotments alongside the M32, which will be built over for the north Bristol route.

The councils have spent more than ^250,000 on keeping protesters away from the site.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 07, 2015, 15:41:33 »

My mother always used to say:

If you can't think of anything nice to say, don't say anything

...so I say:

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 07, 2015, 16:44:55 »

...so I say:

You may not be we know someone who certainly will...paging Four Track Now!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 07, 2015, 21:15:57 »

You may not be we know someone who certainly will...paging Four Track Now!

Sorry I'm late!

My grandma told me: "If you can't think of something nice to say, say something nasty!" She was from Lancashire, see, like me.

The chickens seem to be coming home to roost. Councillors Tim "Working up BRT (Bus Rapid Transit)" Kent and Mark "Lame duck project with virtually zero public support" Bradshaw took to the airwaves to blame somebody else - anybody else. The whole thing is heading from disaster to calamity, as predicted by many, but not by the unelected unaccountable oligarchy that is our Local Enterprise partnership. They can still get on with signing other people's cheques.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was any remote chance that this might help sort Bristol's traffic problems. It may speed up the bus from Temple Meads to the airport by a couple of minutes, whilst removing a service to people in Bedminster, but that's as good as you get for your ^200 million.

The whole business is a shambles. I will defend the Mayor's stance. He described it as a project chasing funding, not one worthy of funding, and said he would seek to transfer the money to rail projects. It is pretty clear he was told "No" when he asked. When he was later asked when MetroBust became unavoidable, he said "Before I got here". He is clearly no fan, but has been able only to move the route away from the harbour.

This was a shambles. It is becoming a catastrophe.

Now, please!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 07, 2015, 21:27:56 »

Your response FTN did not disappoint. Sadly this scheme certainly does disappoint...in spades!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 07, 2015, 21:36:57 »

Your response FTN did not disappoint. Sadly this scheme certainly does disappoint...in spades!

Wait until the Tramadol wears off. I am currently looking at other responses to this entirely predictable news. Nobody else seems to have a good word to say about MetroBust.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 08, 2015, 10:02:17 »

Wait until the Tramadol wears off.

Is Tramadol the drug you take to numb the pain of living in a large city with no light rail system?

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 08, 2015, 18:15:37 »

Is Tramadol the drug you take to numb the pain of living in a large city with no light rail system?

Just as far as "numb".

The proposals to hand responsibility for transport to local authorities elsewhere - Greater Manchester, South Yorkshire etc - and the progress made so far in those areas show the complete inertia in the Greater Bristol area. The root cause of this is the major employment area - Bristol - being directed by the local parish councils.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 09, 2015, 11:52:08 »

Recent posts on the decision to scrap plans for a Henbury Loop Line service have been moved and merged with a dedicated existing topic:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=7178.30

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 20, 2015, 15:22:41 »

Apologies if I've been thick, but I've just realised that (presumably at FT, N!'s suggestion) the MetroBust logo now actually includes a stylised terminal 't':

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: