07:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Swansea
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 08:16:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[69] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: National Grid's proposals for pylons: Hinkley Point C Connection Project  (Read 13329 times)
John R

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2009, 20:58:08 »

Don't talk to me about pylons. I've just had a letter from National Grid something along the lines of "We're toying with the idea of building a 45m high 400kV major pylon line around 100m in front of your house. How do you feel about it?"  Angry
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 21:56:40 »

Don't talk to me about pylons. I've just had a letter from National Grid something along the lines of "We're toying with the idea of building a 45m high 400kV major pylon line around 100m in front of your house. How do you feel about it?"  Angry

Shocked Shocked Shocked That close the lights in the house will glow without having to switching them on

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 22:37:39 »

Very sorry to hear that, John. Angry

I've not heard anything at all about such a scheme - such as local planning permission applications, etc. (and I live 'just up the road' from John, for the benefit of non-Nailsea resident members of this forum).

However: wouldn't that put their proposed pylon slap in the middle of the Backwell Lake nature reserve, for example?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 22:45:17 »

Got it in one, Chris! And it would then skirt around Trendlewood for what it's worth. Public exhibition on Wed at Backwell Leisure Centre if you're interested.

Apparently it will be finished in 2017, so it'll be a close run thing with the GW (Great Western) electrification. Come to think of it, NR» (Network Rail - home page) could run a connection from a pole hung above our star ticket man(other thread refers)'s hut, and wire up the Weston line without the National Grid knowing.  Grin

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 17:47:06 »

As became apparent on another topic on this forum, not many people seem to be aware yet of the full implications of National Grid's Hinkley Point C Connection Project.

Please see their map, on the National Grid website, showing the scale of the project.

The consultation period has already started - but there seems to have been little local publicity so far.  May I therefore encourage anyone who lives, works or travels between Bridgwater and north of Bristol to just have a look at this and, if they could be affected, please get involved in the consultation - whatever your views.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 17:58:23 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 18:38:24 »

Having done a bit of 'digging', I've now found some further information in the local press:

From the Mercury:

Voltage threat of overhead cables

More than 25 towns and villages in North Somerset face the threat of 400,000-volt overhead power cables being installed above them.

National Grid says the line, which would be about 37 miles long and cost around ^2 million per mile, is needed to bring electricity from the proposed new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point to an electricity substation at Avonmouth.

Studies have identified two potential 'route corridors' through North Somerset the overhead cable could follow.

But parish councillors in Wraxall believe the company should consider laying cables on the sea bed of the Bristol Channel between Hinkley and Avonmouth rather than blight the countryside with 150-foot pylons.

Wraxall and Failand Parish Council chairman Chris Ambrose said: "I feel strongly that if we can lay these cables under the sea then we should do so. I don't see why on an engineering basis they can't do it - electricity to the Scilly Isles is supplied by cables along the seabed and communication links are laid all the way to the east coast of America under the sea."

More than 90 per cent of National Grid's 4,500 miles of transmission lines is by overhead cables. It says installing cables underground on land costs between 12-17 times more than overhead lines. Its website adds there are other technical problems which make underground cables undesirable, such as heat dispersal and prolonged outages when problems occur.

A spokesperson said: "We won't look into undergrounding until consultation is complete and we have identified a preferred route corridor and are looking at a specific route."

The exact route has not been finalised but any of the following communities could be affected: Yatton, Nailsea, Congresbury, Hewish, Clevedon, Congresbury, Churchill, Wrington, Kingston Seymour, Brockley, Kenn, Tickenham, Clapton-in-Gordano, Backwell, Wraxall and Failand, Portishead, North Weston, Portbury, Easton-in-Gordano and Flax Bourton. The first of four public consultation events takes place today at Trinity Primary School in Portishead.

National Grid major projects manager David Mercer said: "The proposed new power station at Hinkley Point C would be one of the largest connected to the National Grid network, and, as a result, we will need to reinforce and upgrade the network in the region to accommodate the extra power and ensure system security. We recognise that this is a significant development and we are committed to consulting the public to gather their views. These events will give local residents the opportunity to see our proposals and discuss their queries and concerns with us and express their opinions."

Fourteen events are being held between now and December. For more information visit www.nationalgrid.com/hinkleyconnection .

John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 22:14:16 »

I wish national Grid would do some "digging", instead of pylons.  Angry
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 22:35:59 »

At 4 times the cost of a pylon route

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 22:41:13 »

Hmm.  More than that, apparently?

More than 90 per cent of National Grid's 4,500 miles of transmission lines is by overhead cables. It says installing cables underground on land costs between 12-17 times more than overhead lines. Its website adds there are other technical problems which make underground cables undesirable, such as heat dispersal and prolonged outages when problems occur.

matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 23:02:56 »

SAdly this would mean everyone would have to pay for it with increased electricity prices as National Grid would have to raise their basic price to cover the costs. Sadly sometimes the minority have to lose out for the majority to benefit, however insome cases it is not very fair
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 20:20:49 »

An interesting comparison with a similar proposal in Scotland - from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Pylon line plan to 'get go-ahead'

The go-ahead for a power line from Beauly to Denny is expected to be given by the Scottish government in the next few weeks, BBC Scotland understands. But as more than 18,000 objections have been lodged it is thought likely conditions will be attached.

The upgraded power line, which would need 600 pylons, up 200ft in height, would connect renewable power projects in the Highlands to the national grid. Environmentalists and green energy advocates are divided on the issue.

The new ^400m transmission line would run from Beauly near Inverness to Denny near Falkirk. It would carry 400,000 volts (400kV), replacing the existing 132kV line, which runs along a similar route. Supporters, including Labour and the Green party, say the scheme should be approved to help meet renewable energy commitments. But concerns have been raised over the impact to landscape of the massive pylons and a lack of detail over alternative options.

The controversial plan has been the subject of a public inquiry. The Scottish government has had that inquiry's report since February.

Labour's leader at Holyrood, Iain Gray MSP (Member of Scottish Parliament), said: "We want to see this upgrade go ahead as quickly as possible and it is disappointing that the SNP have taken far too long to make their mind up. Scotland needs a government that will take much bolder action in order to boost our renewable energy sector and tackle climate change emissions."

The Green party's Patrick Harvie told BBC Scotland's Politics Show: "It has taken a very long time to get this decision out, we still haven't heard it and I think that's regrettable. We need to be pressing on and getting the work done." He said ministers could go to the forthcoming climate conference in Copenhagen and boast that the scheme was under way.

But Dennis Canavan, former MSP and current president of Ramblers Association Scotland, told the programme: "If it does get the go-ahead then it will be an unacceptable act of vandalism. In Scotland we're very blessed, we've got some of the most scenic countryside in the world. It's a national asset, it's something that we should be looking after not just for ourselves but for future generations."

Liz Smith, Scottish Conservative MSP for Mid-Scotland and Fife, said: "There will be many people across our local communities who are extremely concerned about the news that the Scottish Government is going to push ahead with this project. There is no doubt about the need for an upgrade to our electricity grid but I have never been convinced that other alternatives, especially upgrading the east coast route or building undersea cables, were properly examined."

A Scottish government spokesman said: "Ministers will make a decision on the Beauly-Denny power line before the end of this year taking into account all relevant factors."

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 20:46:02 »

Due to public pressure, National Grid are running three more consultation days. From the Clevedon Mercury:

National Grid announces more meeting dates over controversial proposals

National Grid has announced three more public meetings following a number of requests from residents concerned about proposals to install 400,000 volt power cables in North Somerset.

The company says the line, which would be about 37 miles long and cost around ^2 million per mile, is needed to bring electricity from the proposed new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point to an electricity substation at Avonmouth.

It organised 14 public consultation meetings at various locations but scores of residents living in Nailsea were angry that they had to travel to Backwell to find out more about the proposals.

In response residents, who set up a Save Our Valley campaign, organised a special public meeting for people to have their say.

Since then National Grid has agreed to hold three extra meetings, one of those being in Nailsea.

This takes place in the sports hall at Scotch Horn Leisure Centre, Brockway, on Thursday, November 26. The other two are schedule for Wednesday, November 18, at Portbury Village Hall, 1 High Street, Portbury and at Trinity Community Hall, Trinity Primary School, Marjoram Way, Portishead, on Thursday, November 19. All take place from 2-4pm and 6-8pm.

National Grid's project manager Peter Bryant said: "We have added these extra dates following requests from local residents who wanted more of an opportunity to discuss the proposals. We are very keen for people to come along to these exhibitions and tell us what they think of our plans. After carrying out extensive studies we have identified two potential route corridors, which are stretches of land in which the overhead line could be sites. We have no preference as to which corridor is chosen so the views of local people will help us make the decision."

Sue Turner

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 18:18:20 »

Hi - there is now a campaign group up & running for people who want to oppose National Grid's proposal to put 150 feet high pylons & 400kV cables along the valley between Nailsea and Backwell.  This would run very close to the station at Nailsea & Backwell and up the lovely English valley that is such a picturesque sight from the railway.  Please help us fight off this awful proposal - join us at www.save-our-valley.co.uk/join.html
Thank you!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 19:36:12 »

I certainly will Sue. Thank you for taking the trouble to post the link, and also for setting up the campaign.

Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 19:37:21 »

Welcome to the forum, Sue Turner, and I hope you find some of the wide-ranging posts here of interest to you as a rail user.

I know for instance that your own local station, Nailsea and Backwell, is well represented on here in terms of news, views and information.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: