Delayed
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 08:07:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticket Barriers at BTM  (Read 9886 times)
ReWind

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2009, 16:07:18 »

Bit strange, the ticket barriers were left open all day today.

First time I walked in and out of the station with them all wide open.

Anyone know why this was?

Staff shortages maybe?  I always fancied being a ticket barrier man!  Wink Grin Cool

Here, there and Everywhere!!
CE02

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 00:24:26 »

I found a similer situation at Paddington last night with the suburban barriers wide open strangely though the p2-5 overbridge barriers were in full use FGW (First Great Western) seem incapable of operating all sets of barriers at one time. I hope this is only a staff shortage issue and not a cost cutting exercise as revenue protection on FGW is already woeful on many parts of the network.

If they start opening the barrier lines they will lose a fortune.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 07:11:30 »

I found a similer situation at Paddington last night with the suburban barriers wide open strangely though the p2-5 overbridge barriers were in full use FGW (First Great Western) seem incapable of operating all sets of barriers at one time. I hope this is only a staff shortage issue and not a cost cutting exercise as revenue protection on FGW is already woeful on many parts of the network.

They had a ticket check at Kintbury on Thursday night.  Several passengers stood around looking a bit worried Grin
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 17:42:06 »

i reckon it is deliberate so not all tickets are kept,fgw can then go to gov claiming pax numbers are down and still get the hand outs as per franchise contract.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 17:47:12 »

It's not that simple.

Ticket counts are determined by sales, not how many are swiped through barriers. The revenue is then apportioned to TOCs (Train Operating Company) through ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services). There will no doubt be a very careful audit of a TOCs revenue and expenditure before any adjustment to the financial obligations of the TOC under the cap and colar arrangement.

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 00:03:31 »

A fair point, but you're logic's flawed:

Passenger arrives without ticket, barrier is closed, passenger buys ticket from barrier staff or is charged a penalty fare as appropriate, journey is recorded.

Passenger arrives without ticket, barrier is open, passenger leaves without buying ticket, journey is unrecorded.

Simply, having the barrier open makes it much more likely people will make journeys without tickets that are therefore not recorded and do result in lost revenue.

Modified to clarify...
I'm not suggesting that leaving barriers open is a deliberate tactic on the part of FGW (First Great Western) to lose revenue, just pointing out that leaving barriers open could very well lead to lost revenue and journeys that are not recorded through ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services), LENNON (Latest Earnings Nationally Networked Over-Night ) or whatever system it is they're using this week.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 14:25:08 by inspector_blakey » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 11:13:57 »

Passenger arrives without ticket, barrier is closed, passenger buys ticket from barrier staff or is charged a penalty fare as appropriate, journey is recorded.

Passenger arrives without ticket, barrier is open, passenger leaves without buying ticket, journey is unrecorded.

Simply, having the barrier open makes it much more likely people will make journeys without tickets that are therefore not recorded and do result in lost revenue.

Similarly passengers arrive at barried staion see barriers open and know they going to an umanned staion so walk through hoping there is no inspector on the train.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 18:57:09 »

If they start opening the barrier lines they will lose a fortune.
You may be pleased to know that FGW are recruiting for Gateline Staff (closes 29/10/09 if you want to get your applications in Tongue ) at Paddington and Reading to sort out this situation - hopefully this will also mean you might actually see Revenue Protection on train again..
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 19:09:45 »

Modified to clarify...
I'm not suggesting that leaving barriers open is a deliberate tactic on the part of FGW (First Great Western) to lose revenue, just pointing out that leaving barriers open could very well lead to lost revenue and journeys that are not recorded through ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services), LENNON (Latest Earnings Nationally Networked Over-Night ) or whatever system it is they're using this week.

I was responding to the observation that it is "deliberate so that not all tickets are kept", and pointing out that the flaws in that argument. You are of course correct that open barriers results in ticketless travel, but it would be rather absurd if the revenue arrangment of the franchise encouraged FGW (or any other TOC (Train Operating Company)) deliberately not to raise money through ticket sales.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 15:33:41 »

Also open at peak evenings a few times this week, swine flu at Bristol at the moment?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 15:49:13 »

Also open at peak evenings a few times this week, swine flu at Bristol at the moment?

Maybe that also explains FGWs (First Great Western) inability to open the BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) ticket office as per advertised times.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 14:47:07 »

I was at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) earlier today (between 13:40 and 14:00) and all the barriers were open.  There was no-one staffing the barriers or the excess ticket counter, except for one PCSO who was wandering around platform 3.  The whole station seemed like a ghost town with a lack of both staff and customers.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 20:28:01 »

They always seem to be left open recently!!   Shocked

Here, there and Everywhere!!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 19:19:00 »

Open again this evening (around 5pm).

On Friday, I was on the 11:34 from Redland to BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) and noticed there was the usual conductor but also another man who was walking up and down the train selling tickets.  Same happened on the same train two weeks ago.  The ticket vendor's badge only described him as being "Customer Service".  Also noticed that on other services in the past two weeks (namely the Portsmouth-Cardiff), they've been checking tickets and railcards in a lot more detail than I've ever seen before.  Perhaps they are trying to increase revenue on trains rather than at ticket barriers Huh
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 22:58:30 »

The ticket barriers at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) were certainly firing on all cylinders last Friday: they gleefully rejected my perfectly valid ticket from NLS (purchased only ten minutes before) on my way in - and they equally cheerfully rejected my return ticket, on my way home, a couple of hours later!  Roll Eyes

Why was I not fazed by any of this?  Because I had my personal assistant, with an FGW (First Great Western) staff card, to pass me through the barriers - which saved me having to queue up at the manual barrier gate, 'seeking assistance'!

If you are able to recruit one, I do recommend the 'FGW personal assistant' option!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: